LARGEST GROUP ON GOODREADS!!!!!!!!!! discussion

Debates > Suicide - Bravery or Cowardice?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 123 (123 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Arielle Rae (new)

Arielle Rae Aguilar | 302 comments Some consider suicide to be extremely brave, because it takes a fair amount of courage to be able to end your own life. On the other hand, some consider it to be cowardly because it takes a fair amount of courage to overcome traumatic situations, face life anyway, and start afresh. But the act of suicide is a personal issue, and as outsiders, no matter how close we are to the individual who is contemplating it or has committed it, it is difficult to understand what has driven the person to give up his life or think about it.

Some of us have very staunch views about suicide, and more often than not, the balance is tipped in view of it being wrong and cowardly. Those contemplating it are forced to think of others who are suffering more than they are. But who is to justify continuing living, when only they know why their decision to end their life is 'right'?

The decision to commit suicide is so personal that it cannot be judged. What goes on in the mind of someone contemplating suicide? How can you tell? Some people put on a brave face and live their lives, fooling us into believing that all is well with them. And suddenly they shock those around them by ending their lives. What went wrong? Is it possible to judge whether this act of giving up on life is an act of bravery or cowardice?

P. S. Sorry for the length of that XD

message 2: by Kevin/Akio (new)

Kevin/Akio (kevinbo) | 289 comments I don't think it brave or cowardly. I think it stupid. If someone's so mean to you, you speak up. And if no one helps, then there's always taking stuff to court.

DeliciousFicticiousKilljoy (MCRmyKilljoySoldier) | 152 comments Its an act of sin.

message 4: by Arielle Rae (new)

Arielle Rae Aguilar | 302 comments Kevin MudWing wrote: "I don't think it brave or cowardly. I think it stupid. If someone's so mean to you, you speak up. And if no one helps, then there's always taking stuff to court."

But what if those methods aren't enough?

Hannah*.•° wrote: "Its an act of sin."

How is it an act of sin?

message 5: by Kevin/Akio (new)

Kevin/Akio (kevinbo) | 289 comments Arielle Rae wrote: "Kevin MudWing wrote: "I don't think it brave or cowardly. I think it stupid. If someone's so mean to you, you speak up. And if no one helps, then there's always taking stuff to court."

But what if..."

Well, it's unfortunately gonna have to end good or bad. :|

DeliciousFicticiousKilljoy (MCRmyKilljoySoldier) | 152 comments Scuicide is KILLING. Breaking one of the 10 commandments is sin. The 6th commandment states:
Thou shalt not KILL.

Thus, it is a sin.

message 7: by Kevin/Akio (new)

Kevin/Akio (kevinbo) | 289 comments But: If it comes down to being a criminal or not, taking your own life isn't as bad as taking someone else's.

DeliciousFicticiousKilljoy (MCRmyKilljoySoldier) | 152 comments But it still is very bad AND its killing.

message 9: by Kevin/Akio (new)

Kevin/Akio (kevinbo) | 289 comments Well, then you should blame the people who made them have to resort to that.

message 11: by Alex (new)

Alex Constantinescu Cowardice. In my opinion it is running away from your problems. It is giving up

message 12: by Morganvillechic (new)

Morganvillechic | 252 comments It takes courage and cowardice. It's cowardly because you ARE giving up. BUT at the same time it is SO hard to make that decision that there has to be some courage. I know this because depression and suicidal tendencies run in my family. I am fortunate enough that I have love and support from my friends and family but there are some dark days. It takes courage to live, but it also takes courage to stop living.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. I think it is an act of a coward. It does NOT take courage to kill yourself!!

And those who moan about killing themselves sometimes only do it for the attention. So just shut up and do it already!

Courage to stop living? That is twisted thinking.

message 14: by Arielle Rae (new)

Arielle Rae Aguilar | 302 comments Guys, just a reminder that this is a sensitive issue :)

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

My Cousin and best friend both killed themselves, Arielle. I tried to stop them but failed. Sensitive issue my ass! We're all gonna die anyway....does it matter how? We're fucked because there is not god!!!

message 16: by Alex (new)

Alex Constantinescu Aaron{{REBLAST}} wrote: "My Cousin and best friend both killed themselves, Arielle. I tried to stop them but failed. Sensitive issue my ass! We're all gonna die anyway....does it matter how? We're fucked because there is ..."

With a "shut up and do it already" attitude I have to wander what you tried.

Calm down and stop blaming a lack of God on how the world is. The world is how we make it and fatalistic people just drag it down for the rest. Yes, you are going to die but the only thing that matters in life is how you get there.

message 17: by Morganvillechic (new)

Morganvillechic | 252 comments The act of killing yourself IS cowardly, but deciding something so big IS courageous. In no way do I think that the act of killing yourself is courageous. I do believe that being able to make a decision THAT important is courageous however.

message 18: by Fox (new)

Fox  (aegontargaryen) | 46 comments It's just plain stupid.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

FoxDragon ~ I have a PhD in Horribleness~ wrote: "It's just plain stupid."

Well think about it. Most people who commit suicide are extremely depressed people. They feel miserable everyday and they just want to die because they are so miserable. So if you think about it you can understand why they would do it. (I'm not saying I support it, I'm just saying I understand why they would do it)

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

It really depends in the situation what's going on why your depressed or not or mental well being the people they have around them the support them. It's not about bravery or cowardice it's whey these people feel this is their only option.

DeliciousFicticiousKilljoy (MCRmyKilljoySoldier) | 152 comments Well, Im a sinner anyways. I thought about, and almost considered commiting suicide this week. I also cut. I havecrealized that it is cowardice because you are running from the present AND past. ((I will NOT tell you why. My personal life is NOT yours.))

Kayla ~The Mirthful Messiah~ (Chucklevoodoos142) | 313 comments I'd say neither. It is neither brave nor cowardly. It's being trapped in a dark corner where no one seems to notice you, where everyone passes by or occasionally stops to ask why you don't just step into the light, but they can't see the invisible hands holding you back telling you that you aren't good enough, that you're wasted space, that you're horrible, that no one cares, that everyone would be better off if you're gone. It's eating at you from the inside out, tearing you apart bit by bit until you can't handle it anymore.
Suicide should not be glorified, nor should it be shrugged off as a plea for attention or a sign of cowardice. Being someone who has struggled with these thoughts, I understand, and I know that people seem to think that it would just be so much easier to just spill your problems, but then those little voices come back telling you that you're a burden, that you're bugging the person you vent too, that you're dragging them down into a pit with you. It's a never ending cycle of guilt that grows heavier and heavier with each passing day until finally your resolve cracks and you don't know where else to turn and finally you decide to just end it, to end your misery, your pain, the guilt, the anxiety, everything.
It isn't as easy to stop as people make it out to be. Struggling with suicidal thoughts is a horrifying process and suicide in itself is neither brave nor cowardly.

message 23: by Ginny (new)

Ginny  Weasley  | 25 comments I agree with Kayla, it iw neither Brave or Cowardly.

message 24: by DeepTiNkEr5 (new)

DeepTiNkEr5 (goodreadscomCiel_Phantomhive) | 83 comments Suicide in my thoughts is a coward's way out! I don't pitty the fool who does commit suicide, I just sit there and shake my head.

message 25: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (castleofglass) | 22 comments I think suicide comes from pride, its like you're saying "I have decided that life isn't worth living anymore so I will decide when I die". If you're a Christian then its saying that you have decided that what God has given you isn't good enough. And who are we to decide that?
Sorry, I realize that my views are based in my religion and won't be shared by people with different beliefs.

message 26: by Matt (new)

Matt D. Actually, suicide is sometimes called the Cowards Way Out.

message 27: by DeepTiNkEr5 (new)

DeepTiNkEr5 (goodreadscomCiel_Phantomhive) | 83 comments Yea, that's what I usually say.

Kayla ~The Mirthful Messiah~ (Chucklevoodoos142) | 313 comments I get the feeling a lot of people haven't struggled with suicidal thoughts.

It really is not that easy to deal with and I fought with them for /years/.

I cried myself to sleep on multiple occasions because I felt worthless and I felt that if I told anyone I would just burdening them and dragging them down with me, so I stayed silent.

Suicide does not come from pride, I'm sorry, but it doesn't.

Suicide or suicidal thoughts come from depression (or other mental disorders, like anxiety, etc.), bullying, self loathing, there are a lot of things that can trigger someone into contemplating suicide.

I used to sit and mull over the thought for hours, shutting myself out from everyone, because I was scared that these thoughts were going to get me into trouble and that people would just tell me to suck it up or say that I'm a coward and need to 'just stop'. It really isn't that easy.

Suicide is a way out of all of the pain, stress, degrading thoughts, and everything else that seems to come crashing down all at once; smothering people who get caught in it.

I can't tell you how many times I sat in my room, hating myself, hating what I was thinking, hating that I was planning out what exactly would happen, how I'd do it, thinking that 'There's knives upstairs, maybe the world would be better off without me'. It was miserable and it was hard to come out of that. It was like trying to drag myself out of a pit after days without food or water, but I finally started climbing. Sometimes, even now, I fall back in, but I realize now that there are people that care if I live or don't and so things get better.

Not everyone can manage that and we shouldn't say that people who commit suicide are brave or cowardly. We should just say that they were people. They were scared, alone, bitter towards themselves, towards the world, and they chose to die because it's not so easy to handle.

Suicide is simply sad and an awful thing to think about, but...it really isn't so easy to deal with those kinds of thoughts and sometimes people just succumb to the pressure.

message 29: by Cinderglacier the Universal (last edited May 15, 2014 03:22PM) (new)

Cinderglacier the Universal (432hz528hzfelshadowraven) | 64 comments I couldn't agree more with Kayla.

Suicide isn't Courage or Cowardice, it's the same as death, it's simply triggered by different means and different mental environments.

Suicide isn't being Brave, or being Foolish, it's simply an Escape, an Escape from the Pain of the past and possible darkness of the future.

Believe me, i've looked depression in the eyes for 7-9-or-something years (though it felt like Two Centuries when i remember it), and have almost committed suicide on several occasions due to significant stress and inability to process/counter/handle a situation in almost any way (in-fact, suicide and self-harm were both commonplace topics for conversations i start up), i KNOW what it is when i see it, it cowed me easily back when i had it.

The only reason i am still here, speaking to you people is because there are those whom my death would affect, i refused to throw chaos and despair in their faces just to save myself from emotional pain and attacks, because of that oath which i would not break (Some may call it persistence, others may call it stubbornity, either way, one or the other helped), i eventually Vanquished my own Suicidal Thoughts, and then wiped out my Depression via spiritual transfer to an object (or in my case, two objects, then i broke the objects with a hammer, buried the remains in dirt, and then moved on.), which proves this: Friendship and Love can grant you the Ability to conquer Depression as i have done only recently, where solitude and rage cannot.

message 30: by RAI (new)

RAI | 1381 comments I think it depends on the situation, what that person's like, and whether or not they have spirituality.

If someone was in a scenario where they were being forced to kill themselves in order to save another, I think it could be considered brave in a way if not greatly sad/unfortunate and martyr-ish.

And then another case could be if someone committed suicide because they were being bullied or deeply depressed. It's understandable why they would do it, I guess, but it doesn't make them brave - yet at the same time, I don't think it makes them a coward. If they were only depressed, then I don't think fear had anything to do with it. They might've felt empty inside and thought that ending their life would somehow make that go away. In that case as well as the bullying case, suicide might have been accidental (drug/alcohol overdose).If someone were being bullied, it might be considered cowardice to commit suicide because they are running away from their fears instead of trying to overcome/confront them.

Lastly, in a scenario where someone is maybe a bad person who has done bad things (a criminal, Hitler, other tyrants, etc.), that, to me, would also be a display of cowardice because when the time came to pay for their crimes, they chose to not confront their demons/ not take responsibilities for their actions (which is ok because they would still face punishment from God in the afterlife).

I've always been taught that to take ones own life is like a slap in the face to God. In committing suicide, people are throwing away the gift that God most cherishes - their life.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

The thing with suicide is: the one's who are left behind suffer the most. No matter what the reason for the person killing themselves.

Cinderglacier the Universal (432hz528hzfelshadowraven) | 64 comments Aaron{{REBLAST}} wrote: "The thing with suicide is: the one's who are left behind suffer the most. No matter what the reason for the person killing themselves."

My realization of that is the only reason i am still here, in-fact, it may be the reason many over-depressed people have not committed suicide.

Tristan, High mastro (Nine Blades) . (tristantristan054563) | 357 comments Suicide is both bravery and cowardice. However to those who said it is a sin, Yes it is because its murder. But in Christianty if you have Asked for forgiveness Even Once, You have it forever No matter what you do. My soulmate had a friend who ended his life. While she understands why, and has tried several times herself. Thier is a reason we are put on this earth. Suicide is takeing out the light you could be giving to the world... To those contemplating it. Talk.. Just.. talk.... To anyone who would listen..

I will listen.

message 34: by DeepTiNkEr5 (new)

DeepTiNkEr5 (goodreadscomCiel_Phantomhive) | 83 comments I oppose, I think that as a moral thing to do is wrong and cowardly. You end your life and leave others to clean up your mess for you! It isn't right to leave your loved one's to clean up your mess. Suicide is only a cowards way out, I'd rather live my life out to the fullest than kill my self so early. Or anyone who thinks about killing themselves are merely wasting their time! They forget to believe in themselves and their future.

Tristan, High mastro (Nine Blades) . (tristantristan054563) | 357 comments I agree with you... Just.. You havnt been in a situation you couldnt handle mentally. And thats Okay because i dont blame you. Life is seldom easy. We should always try and never give up. Throwing your life away helps no one. It is brave in my openion because Once youve said you have to go through with it. Although you shouldnt feel shame in backing down.

message 36: by Kryssie (new)

Kryssie Fortune | 3 comments All suicide does is pass your problems on to your friends and relatives. It's a form of posthumus blackmail.
The only exception is if someone's mentally ill, but I really hope someone (Social services or family) would step in before it came to that.

message 38: by Lara (new)

Lara (gurlwhowrites) | 70 comments BlackStar103 {Go Rot in Hell } {JELL0 4EVER} {Free HUGS!!!} wrote: You kill bugs and whatnot."

XD True dat. Good thing killing bugs is not considered murder :P

DeliciousFicticiousKilljoy (MCRmyKilljoySoldier) | 152 comments OKAY I ADMIT IT!!!! I KILL BUGS!!!!!! But you have to agree, spiders are a bit creepy...

message 40: by Chantae (new)

Chantae B. | 167 comments I think it is very brave for someone to have the courage to end their life because for me I'd be scared to take a razor to my skin even though I know it most likely wont kill me if I don't cut to deep let alone a gun or something. I really hate physical pain for me it would probably make the emotional pain worse. But at the same time I kind if view as an act of cowardice because they couldn't just deal with their pain and find another way to help them feel better I'm not saying counseling and stuff helps for every one and for me I really don't trust people very well so counseling wouldn't be the first this I'd want to do. But many people find ways to help with their emotional pain by music, drawing, writing, reading etc. it's not like they didn't have other options because suicide

message 41: by Chantae (new)

Chantae B. | 167 comments *besides

message 42: by Aaishah (new)

Aaishah | 44 comments I think suicide is cowardice. The suicider is obviously gonna end his/her life for a reason, which is most likely a problem. They end their life because they are to cowardly to try solve that problem. Every problem has a solution. The suicider is most likely scared or depressed and cant be bothered to live anymore. Why are you gonna kill yourself when theres people out there in war ridden places who are dying when they dont want to. The suicider is lucky he has got a life. Suicide is also a form of ungratefulness.

message 43: by Kaitlin (new)

Kaitlin (kaitydawn) | 3 comments Neither. It's a solution for the problems that a mentally ill person has. People who commit suicide don't see a way out, that's the whole point. They want the pain to end. They can't see that the situation will get better, because they physically cannot see it. I'm quite angry reading these responses, to be quite honest. Please open your mind and realize that nobody wants to kill themselves. Nobody wants to hate themselves so much, or to be in a situation that feels helpless, that they take their own life. Not a single person who commits suicide wants that. When problems, feelings, emotions, illnesses, etc. outweigh coping mechanisms, it's a way out. It's a way to solve their problems. You may not feel as if it's solving their problems, but that's what they see. The pain, both mentally and physically that they are in will be gone. Many people who are will associate death with peace and relief from problems.

So no, it's neither cowardice or bravery.

DeliciousFicticiousKilljoy (MCRmyKilljoySoldier) | 152 comments There is no 'unintentional scuicide'. If they dont kill themselves, its accidental. If someone else does it, its HOMOCIDE.

message 45: by Arielle Rae (last edited May 30, 2014 05:52PM) (new)

Arielle Rae Aguilar | 302 comments Hannah*.•°I'm a Creepuh*.' H+T=Forever~WarraioCatsForevuh~LockedHeart:You may not enter!!! #Stampycatfan...#Captainsparkles wrote: "There is no 'unintentional scuicide'. If they dont kill themselves, its accidental. If someone else does it, its HOMOCIDE."

Homicide*

And yes, there is unitentional suicide; it is when we inadvertenly cause early death or disease by making unhealthy decisions ie. drugs, tobacco, alcohol etc.
The good news is that if we choose to, we have the ability to make healthy habits a part of our daily lives. Making the wrong choice is either a decision to die or a decision to not do what you could do to live - therefore making a decision to commit unintentional suicide.

I'm not sure if what I said was relevant though hahah

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

suicide isn't cowardly, you know what's cowardly, treating someone so bad that they want to end their life

message 47: by regan (new)

regan | 767 comments Personally, I think suicide is neither brave nor cowardly. I think it's wrong and sad. Wrong in the fact that according to my beliefs, it is a sin. Sad in the fact that the person just gave up.
I watched a nature show just a little bit ago and it was about killer whales in the wild working together to try and catch their meal: a seal. The seal fought and fought to swim away but it got tired and just sat on an iceberg. A killer whale then proceeded to pull the seal off the ice by its tail. I cried. It was so sad that the seal just gave up on its life, knowing it was going to die. I just wanted the seal to keep fighting. That if it could just hold on a little longer, it'd be ok. But it gave up.
So, what I'm trying to say is that I don't think giving up is exactly cowardly. But giving up to me is just awful.

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree but sometimes we've had abusive parents, getting bullied at school, and always getting picked on, even people you don't know. I'll tell ya something I did commit suicide but I'm still alive, if I could tell you my story it would be too long. I would rather live in the streets than having abusive parents. You know my name, not my story. The reason why I did what I did is because I've been living in shadows, first abusive mom than my dad, and than at school this maniac almost killed me, I spent 4 months in coma and I woke up like 3 or 2 days ago but the day after I woke up, I started cutting my veins out and here I am alive but you know none of my parents were there when I woke up, I wish I had a family, Goodreads and very few people is all I have to be happy, to feel cared for. Trust me in this one my friends, Suicide isn't cowardly, what's cowardly is treating someone so bad that they want to end their lives.
Personal Experience

message 49: by Lyla (new)

Lyla Neko (scourgelyla) | 81 comments King Tutankhamun wrote: "suicide isn't cowardly, you know what's cowardly, treating someone so bad that they want to end their life"

Exactly.

message 50: by Grace (new)

Grace (fictionaladventures) | 16 comments One year ago today my friend hung himself, so I feel confident saying it's an act of cowardice. He made some bad choices and was embarrassed - but he had a family, a wife and daughters, and didn't think about them at all when he killed himself. It was an extremely selfish act. He was close with my best friend Nichole and it was on her birthday that he did it. I used to look up to him but now I have never known a more cowardly man.

« previous 1 3