That's What She Read Podcast Reading Group discussion

Non-Fiction

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scarlet (new)

Scarlet (scarls17) | 19 comments Do you guys read non-fiction? Do you have favorite subjects or books?

message 2: by Scarlet (new)

Scarlet (scarls17) | 19 comments I have a couple favorite autobiographies: Open by Andre Agassi and Growing Up by Russel Baker.

Otherwise, I enjoy English history. I've never had an interest in things like Business or Current Affairs.

message 3: by Serena (new)

Serena McClain (serenasue) | 38 comments Mod
I do read non-fiction, but it's definitely in fits and spurts. I tend to read one and then go on a mini binge. I'm also super picky about non-fiction. It's much harder for me to get into, so I need a good storyteller. As for categories, I'm all over the map. I've read a couple of business-y books lately but tend to lean more toward current affairs, sociology, and memoirs.

message 4: by Serena (new)

P.S. A new episode of TWSR is live, and I talk about one of my non-fiction reads!

message 5: by Amy (new)

Amy Teegan (amyteegan) | 1 comments I love nonfiction - there's such a wide variety. I read biographies, general history, business, self helpy-ish, cultural studies, narrative journalism, etc et etc.

If you don't think you like nonfiction, try something by Michael Lewis (moneyball, the big short, the blind side, etc) or Jon krakauer (into thin air, into the wild, etc)

message 6: by Serena (new)

If you had to pick three favorites off the top of your head, which would you pick? I realize it's a difficult question and depends on a variety of factors, but which non-fiction titles immediately came to mind?

The three I immediately thought of are Nine Hills to Nambonkaha by Sarah Erdman, The Natashas by Victor Malarek, and First in His Class by David Maraniss.

message 7: by Ravena (new)

Ravena James (somelikeithotbooks) | 13 comments I've never been one for nonfiction. But a favorite title.of.mine was Snake Hips by a Richmond author.