Sarah Dessen Book Club discussion

Keeping the Moon

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elle (new)

Elle Hi everybody! I decided I wanted to read a Sarah Dessen this month, so for May I'll be reading Keeping the Moon. If anyone is interested, you're welcome to read along and maybe we can discuss it! :)

message 2: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 3 comments I've read Keeping the Moon before. It was good. Also it was a pretty quick read. I don't think I have the time to re-read Keeping the Moon right now but if you want to talk about the book I'm sure I'll remember it. I'm new to The Sarah Dessen Book Club.

message 3: by Nishtha (last edited May 06, 2014 02:21AM) (new)

Nishtha (bookworm267) | 4 comments I'm up for it! I'm actually trying to read all of Sarah Dessen's work in publication order, i.e, That Summer --> The Moon and More, to see her evolution as a writer (a lot of folks say it's pretty remarkable), though I've read Along for the Ride, What Happened to Goodbye and The Truth About Forever. I'll start That Summer in a few days, and since I can't find Someone Like You anywhere, I'll read Keeping the Moon right after. :)

message 4: by Elle (new)

Elle Hi Jenny, welcome to the bookclub! Unfortunately it's not very active at the moment. I've finished Keeping the Moon, it's a quick read indeed! I liked it, but it wasn't one of my Dessen favorites. I liked the way Colie got more confidence (and her crazy aunt was an interesting character) but the romance was a bit undeveloped.

Nishtha, that is such a cool idea to read the books in order! Come back when you start reading Keeping the Moon, I love to know what you think! :)

message 5: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 3 comments Elle, Yes I remember feeling the same way when I read it. I liked the book but the romance was a bit undeveloped. & that's ok, I'm sure it wouldn't be like this forever. And when it gets more active again I will be here. I really want to read more of Sarah Dessen's book's. I own all of them I think, but I haven't read all of them yet my goal this year is to finish reading all of her books.

& Nishtha, I have thought of doing that too!! At least I know now that I am not the only person who has thought of reading all of her books in order. I wonder if I should still do that? I have read some of her earlier books & I have read some of her newer books. I think I would feel silly re-reading the ones I have already read.

message 6: by Nishtha (new)

Nishtha (bookworm267) | 4 comments Jenny wrote: "Elle, Yes I remember feeling the same way when I read it. I liked the book but the romance was a bit undeveloped. & that's ok, I'm sure it wouldn't be like this forever. And when it gets more activ..."

I'm glad I'm not the only one either! :D
When I started with That Summer, I thought whether I should re-read the ones I've already read, but doing that sounded awful because I have a crap-ton of other great books to read, and letting them languish while I read what is essentially the same story (I love Sarah Dessen, but seriously guys, I'm just about tired of the 'One Girl, One Boy, Three New Friends, One Summer' story line) would be criminally stupid of me.
But I think you should salvage as much of the publication order you still can. I mean, if you've read, say, That Summer, Just Listen and ,* What Happened to Goodbye, then skip those when you read Sarah Dessen's books in order.
That's what I intend to do anyway. :)

*Oxford comma FTW!!!

message 7: by Nishtha (new)

Nishtha (bookworm267) | 4 comments Hey, I finished reading Keeping the Moon last week, and I hope you guys have, too, because I'd love to discuss it.
It's my favourite Sarah Dessen novel so far!

message 8: by Elle (new)

Elle That's great! What did you think? What makes Keeping The Moon your favorite?

message 9: by Nishtha (last edited Jun 17, 2014 01:27AM) (new)

Nishtha (bookworm267) | 4 comments Hey!
Sorry for getting back so late, I was travelling, and other bear-shit excuses valid reasons.
So... yeah.
Anyway, what I thought of Keeping the Moon :

One of the biggest reasons I loved (and that's a first, because thus far I've only 'liked' Sarah Dessen's books) this book was its female-centric approach. It's Isabel and Morgan and Mira who change Colie, not Norman or her missing father or What's-his--name who flips burgers with Norman at Last Chance. And we really need this in YA books. I'm sick of the "fall in love with hot person who tells you you've been hot all along!" approach.
It also lacked the outright affirmation of the main male character's "hotness" or "cuteness" or "angular cheekbones" (whatever that means). Instead, Colie gradually begins to accept Norman's "hippie cuteness", several times even lying to herself that "he is not [her] type", and that's exactly how relationships among people are in real life.
But I suppose the reason this book is my favourite is because at its heart, its about friendship, and as someone who's never truly had any friends, I'm too often bombarded with books that romanticize friendships-- how they work and how they happen. But Keeping the Moon doesn't do that. No, it takes you through the ugly lows of being ostracized for being different to the exhilarating highs of first realizing you've got friends. It opens to Colie telling lying to her mother that she has friends back home, even though the entire book is Colie's journey towards making her first friends and finding love.

That is what makes it so special to me.

Now, tell me what y'all thought of this amazing little book!

message 10: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 3 comments I read this book so long a go that I feel like I don't remember what happened. But I do remember that how the main character changed the view of her self though out the book really stood out to me. Because I've been bullied and have had self image issues too. When she finally danced when her two friends that scene just really stood out me because I've always been afraid of how I looked when I danced too.