The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Book Hunting / Recommendations > Counsellor/therapist as main character

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Patrick (last edited May 04, 2014 05:32AM) (new)

Patrick Brigham | 6 comments The Evil Beneath by A. J. Waines

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

Stephanie Hutabarat | 1093 comments All michael Robotham's book, Jonathan Kellerman's, and Torey Hayden. For Torey, all her books is her real experiences with problem child, while she is an educational psychologist, so her book is not crime/thriller books. I love all those books, while me myself is a psychologist:)

message 3: by Malina (new)

Malina | 2787 comments All of Jonathan Kellermans books feature a psychologist as the main character, you should give them a try.

message 4: by N (new)

N | 304 comments Dean Koontz has a great one - false memory also all Jonathan Kellerman are really good

message 5: by [deleted user] (last edited May 04, 2014 06:42AM) (new)

I agree with Malina, the Alex Delaware series is very good. I haven't read all of them but quite a few and they are always a winner for me.

message 6: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (brandiec) | 117 comments The Tony Hill/Carol Jordan series by Val McDermid.

message 7: by David (new)

David Freas (quillracer) | 2315 comments Stephen White's Alan Gregory (a clinical psychologist) series starting with Privileged Information.

message 8: by Miss M (new)

Miss M | 560 comments Nicci French's Frieda Klein series is very good.

Also, Kate Rhodes' Alice Quentin, though she's not shown with clients a lot, more focused on her consulting for police.

message 9: by Marjorie (new)

Marjorie | 13 comments Bree wrote: "Hi all.
I'm interested to know if any of you have ever read a mystery/ crime novel where the main character was a therapist or counsellor/ psychologist or psychiatrist.
Thanks for any memories or ..."

Donna White Glaser's protagonist, Letty Whittaker, is not only a psychotherapist, she's a bright, but self-deprecating, recovering alcoholic. If you like stories with humor flavoring the mystery, you should give them a try. The first is "The Enemy We Know". As a real bonus, it's perma-free. Then you can work your way up from there.

message 10: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline (brightonreader) | 24 comments Bree wrote: "Hi all.
I'm interested to know if any of you have ever read a mystery/ crime novel where the main character was a therapist or counsellor/ psychologist or psychiatrist.
Thanks for any memories or ..."

I love the Frank Tallis Dr. Max Liebermann series, which are set in 1902 Vienna. Liebermann is a follower of Freud and teams up with Detective Oskar Rheinhardt to solve mysteries. I think the first one in the series is "A Death in Vienna." They're terrifically written stories that always get NY Times rave reviews.
Jacqueline

message 11: by Jim (new)

Jim Crocker | 176 comments I'm not a big fan of therapist MCs, but Stephen White's book, The Program was very good -- probably because there was an interesting mob hitman in the story.
The Program (Alan Gregory, #9) by Stephen White

The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Program (other topics)