/r/Fantasy Discussion Group discussion

2014 Book Club Discussions > May 2014: Hollow World - Q&A with Michael J. Sullivan

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 140 comments Thanks all for choosing Hollow World for your May Book of the Month. I thought I would start a thread in case any one has questions. I'll be glad to answer about Hollow World, or in the tradition of an AMA you can ask me anything including questions on publishing or my Riyria books.

message 2: by Matt (new)

Matt Hageman Where did you come up with the idea for Hollow World?

message 3: by Michael (last edited May 12, 2014 08:17AM) (new)

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 140 comments Here are so many components to the book and they all have a part.

* The idea that people can see the same things from very different perspectives (Is Hollow World a utopia or dystopia) has been with me most of my life.

* The idea of how someone from our time could affect and view a future world also one that I've always pondered.

* Wrapping explorations about society into something more palatable like a murder mystery is just indicative of my writing style

* The concept of what love truly is...I learned from finding the love of my life and how we think of each other.

* Using time-travel was just an easy way to explore these aspects.

That being said...all these things floated around with no real story attached to them. It wasn't until I was asked to write a short story for an anthology that some of them made their way into "novel form."

Thanks for asking.