Fairy Godreaders discussion

Welcome new members!

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I just noticed that we had a new member to the group. Welcome Christopher! I'm happy you joined us. Please feel free to share any treasures that you've found, make suggestions, or browse through books we've already posted!

message 2: by P.J. (new)

P.J. O'Brien | 114 comments Yes indeed, welcome Christopher!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh my gosh, we have new members. Hello Nicole and Rose! I'm so sorry that I didn't see you there. Welcome and join right in.

message 4: by Diana (new)

Diana Febry (dianaj) | 17 comments Hi Faerie, I've joined but I'm not sure I should be here. I can give you a list of books, not getting the recognition they deserve - I try to read/review 1 indi a week. But...I'll be completely honest, I also desperately need reviews for my books. If you understandably, don't want writers here, with a vested interest, I completely understand. Send me a message and I'll un-join myself. Regardless, I love the aim of your group - so a massive thank you on behalf of all struggling writers. (ps - if I have to leave the group, no worries, but I wouldn't mind being "friends" so I can see what books you are reviewing).

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Diana wrote: "Hi Faerie, I've joined but I'm not sure I should be here. I can give you a list of books, not getting the recognition they deserve - I try to read/review 1 indi a week. But...I'll be completely hon..."

Hello Diana, and welcome. There are a few writers who are members, so that's no problem. As long as you read books by others and occasionally post information here about some of them, that's fine. You can start a discussion about books you've read, or simply add them to a list or our bookshelf.

It's ok that you have books of your own that you'd like read, but other than noting that in your introduction, leave it to other members to browse through your listings and decide whether to read them. I know a few members who do that without prompting whenever someone new comes along. I know that I do.

We generally post books to our bookshelf after they're read by someone in the group, but you'll note that we do have discussion topics where some members ask others to try books they're interested in, but don't have time yet to read.

I'm off now to read through the listing of your books.

message 6: by P.J. (new)

P.J. O'Brien | 114 comments Welcome Diana, Nicole, and Rose! As Faerie predicted, I'm off to check out books written and read!

message 7: by P.J. (new)

P.J. O'Brien | 114 comments Diana wrote: "Hi Faerie, I've joined but I'm not sure I should be here. I can give you a list of books, not getting the recognition they deserve - I try to read/review 1 indi a week. But...I'll be completely hon..."

Diana, do you have a preference for which book that you'd like read first? I see that you have Elephant In The Room available on Smashwords. The preview is only 10% so that makes it hard to get a feel of. Have you considered changing that to a larger percentage? Especially since it's $4.99US, which is more than I'd generally pay for a book that I couldn't read sections of and/or by unknown (to me) writer.

message 8: by Diana (last edited Sep 28, 2014 08:13AM) (new)

Diana Febry (dianaj) | 17 comments P.J. wrote: "Diana wrote: "Hi Faerie, I've joined but I'm not sure I should be here. I can give you a list of books, not getting the recognition they deserve - I try to read/review 1 indi a week. But...I'll be ..."

Hi PJ
I've had a look at yours too! Interesting. Along with everyone else, my problem is visibility. People just don't know about lots of brilliant books in the indi world, which is why I liked the sound of this group. I agree with you on the price, but I haven't yet become brave enough to leave the small press that edits, formats etc & sets the price. I am happy to provide a free mobi or pdf of Bells On Her Toes (released this month) to anyone in the group who is interested - just ask! I'm off now for a quick look around! Bells On Her Toes

message 9: by Diana (new)

Diana Febry (dianaj) | 17 comments Faerie wrote: "Diana wrote: "Hi Faerie, I've joined but I'm not sure I should be here. I can give you a list of books, not getting the recognition they deserve - I try to read/review 1 indi a week. But...I'll be ..."

Thank you Faerie, I'll have a proper look around. ps I've generally found Goodreads quite a complex place to be. Of I do something wrong - please just point it out to me.

message 10: by P.J. (new)

P.J. O'Brien | 114 comments Diana wrote: "I am happy to provide a free mobi or pdf of Bells On Her Toes (released this month) to anyone in the group who is interested - just ask! I'm off now for a quick look around!..."

Ah, silly me! I'd downloaded a sample of Bells On Her Toes and liked it so much, I bought the rest of it this morning. And then when I came here to let you know how much I was enjoying it, I saw that you offered it for freebies. But no matter; I was quite happy to do it. You're a good writer!

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

So, should we start a party thread with Diana, PJ? And how long have you been reading The Army of the Night? What's it like? Paul Collis was such a good sport about our joint review of The Scottish Movie. Should we press our luck and do something with this one?

message 12: by P.J. (last edited Oct 18, 2014 03:46PM) (new)

P.J. O'Brien | 114 comments Faerie wrote: "So, should we start a party thread with Diana, PJ? And how long have you been reading The Army of the Night? What's it like? Paul Collis was such a good sport about..."

I just glanced through it earlier this week, but started reading for real this morning. I love it. It's just the thing for anyone who likes historical fiction and .... never mind; I don't want to spoil it. Suffice it to say that this is the perfect season to read, with Halloween close by.

I see that you have it as a To Read now. Good for you! When you're done, we'll figure out how to do a nice tribute. (I'm editing this because I realized when I was getting ready to post the review on SW, that it was free. So no worries about getting him his proper royalties this time. We still might do something fun when it's time for your review of it.)

message 13: by P.J. (new)

P.J. O'Brien | 114 comments And as for the party idea, that's up to you and Diana. But I'll join in as long as there are no spoilers batted about. That might be tough to avoid with a mystery, but I'm game to try.

message 14: by C.D. (new)

C.D. Gorri (cdgorri) | 1 comments Hi everyone! My name is CD Gorri, I love reading and am an indie author myself! I think it is great that you are all working towards getting recognition for indie writers! I am currently reading the Peachville Demon series and I am loving it. I recommend it for anyone who loves YA paranormal fiction. Thanks! I am looking forward to participating in this group :-)

message 15: by P.J. (new)

P.J. O'Brien | 114 comments Hi CD! Great to have you with us...

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I swear I posted a welcome message last night, but apparently it got eaten by the ether. In any case, welcome to C.D., and C. B. before that, and now to two new that I noticed today: Don and Julie. Glad to have you with us!

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Faerie wrote: "I swear I posted a welcome message last night, but apparently it got eaten by the ether. In any case, welcome to C.D., and C. B. before that, and now to two new that I noticed today: Don and Julie...."

Thanks Faerie. I am a fan of P.J.'s and hope to read more of her work and others like her who don't get the attention they deserve.

message 18: by P.J. (new)

P.J. O'Brien | 114 comments Don, I smiled when I saw that you'd joined the group. To the rest of you: Don is an amazing reader in terms of the depth and range of the books he chooses. And as you can tell from his message above, he's very kind and respectful to both writers and fellow readers in his discussions, reviews, and feedback.

Welcome to C.B. and Julie as well. It's nice to have more members. That can help us cover a lot of style ranges in our discoveries.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

I see that we have another new member now. Welcome K.A.! Make yourself at home!

message 20: by P.J. (new)

P.J. O'Brien | 114 comments Hi K.A.!

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Welcome to new member, Juju Walter!

message 22: by P.J. (new)

P.J. O'Brien | 114 comments Oh, sorry I missed this. Hi Juju!

message 23: by Michael (new)

Michael Ronn (michaellaronn) Hi everyone, it's nice to be here. I look forward to seeing what you guys are reading, as I'm always looking out for new indie books. :)

In case anyone here is interested, I co-host a weekly podcast where we talk about all things book & reading related---the To Be Read Podcast. www.tbrpodcast.com. We love to read indie books and love to have listeners on the show as guest hosts, so if anyone's interested, let me know.

Happy New Year everyone!

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Michael wrote: "Hi everyone, it's nice to be here. I look forward to seeing what you guys are reading, as I'm always looking out for new indie books. :) ..."

Yay! Welcome!

message 25: by Beth (new)

Beth Camp | 4 comments Good morning. I'm new to Fairy Godreaders here on GoodReads because at the end-of-the-year or beginning, I saw that Michael reviewed my book The Mermaid Quilt (thank you!) on Amazon and mentioned this group. I heartily applaud the goal here to support indie writers and would like to recommend Kellen Berden's book, Flash Bang. Flash Bang. My goal for 2015 is to read and review at least 2 indie writers each month.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Beth wrote: "Good morning. I'm new to Fairy Godreaders here on GoodReads because at the end-of-the-year or beginning, I saw that Michael reviewed my book The Mermaid Quilt (thank you!) on Amazon and mentioned t..."

Welcome Beth! You'll find a couple of your books on our bookshelf of discoveries already so we're glad you're here.

message 27: by Michael (new)

Michael Ronn (michaellaronn) Welcome, Beth. Very nice job on the Mermaid Quilt. So nice to see another short story writer. :)

message 28: by P.J. (new)

P.J. O'Brien | 114 comments Hi Beth! I love your books. Welcome to the group!

message 29: by P.J. (new)

P.J. O'Brien | 114 comments I just noticed that our members numbers jumped again. A special hello to Sandhouse, who was my very first Goodreads friend, way back when I didn't even know what that meant and had no idea what I was doing. I'm so happy to see you here and look forward to lots of discussions in the future.

And Donna, nice to meet you. I'm off to explore your profile and the books in your reading lists. Welcome to the Fairy Godreaders. If Faerie wasn't so tied up with all the things in life that tie her up, I'm sure she'd have welcomed you first.

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Quite right. A quick and sincere welcome, Sandhouse and Donna. I'm sorry that I need to dash off again.

message 31: by Kris (new)

Kris (krisb83) P.J. wrote: "I just noticed that our members numbers jumped again. A special hello to Sandhouse, who was my very first Goodreads friend, way back when I didn't even know what that meant and had no idea what I w..."

Aw really? Had no idea. So I have no clue what is up in this group. Are there no monthly reads chosen? I keep putting off reading the forums.

message 32: by P.J. (new)

P.J. O'Brien | 114 comments Sandhouse wrote: "... So I have no clue what is up in this group. Are there no monthly reads chosen? I keep putting off reading the forums..."

From what I can tell, it's ideal for free spirits who prefer not to have books assigned or deadlines given. It doesn't appear to be entirely a free for all, though.

What I like about it is that it's a place where you tell others about an undiscovered (or relatively undiscovered) work and start a topic about it. Members who are interested in the book can ask about it and/or go on to read about it themselves, and then chat more about it. But there's no obligation other than to discover books, tell others what you liked about it, and list it in the bookshelf, noting whether it's Ready For Primetime or Evolving but Good (good story idea or character, but may need some editing, proofing etc).

In a few cases, writers have been accessible to those discussing the books and have joined in to answer questions and discuss it in general. Faerie and I call that the Writers at the Party section because it's basically stuff you'd ask a writer if you were ever relaxing on a sofa with them. Even if a writer isn't available to join in, we'd list there things we wish we could ask a writer about a book we were reading.

But really, it's very open-ended and not much is formal. I think the only things we're pretty firm about is that it stays very kind and encouraging, so this isn't a place to review things that you thought were awful. It's for discoveries of things that are good, or mostly good and need a bit of polishing. (We don't do the polishing, we just note it and encourage the writer to keep working at it.)

The other thing is that it's a reading group, not an author promotion group. Many in the group do write, but they can't promote their books here. Several of us have joined because a member or two were reading our books and encouraged us to. We discuss our writing if someone specifically asks us, but otherwise writers are here in their capacity as fellow discoverers and readers. I think that about covers it. If not, I hope other members or Faerie can tell me what I've gotten wrong. :-) And once again, I'm so glad you're here.

message 33: by P.J. (new)

P.J. O'Brien | 114 comments I just saw where we have a new member. Welcome Kara!

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes indeed, welcome Kara! Feel free to jump right in and post some book discoveries that you've found, or to join in discussions started by others.