Science and Inquiry discussion

General > Share Your Phobias

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mel (new)

Mel | 96 comments Moths. Public speaking. Down escalators.

....You?

message 2: by Betsy, co-mod (new)

Betsy | 1669 comments Mod
Definitely public speaking. Confrontation of any sort. I've also become more claustrophobic than I was when I was younger. Is that a phobia? I'm fine in elevators, but I'm uncomfortable in an MRI, and the thought of going underground into a small cave really makes me sweat.

message 3: by Al (new)

Al Flying.

I used to be uneasy about public speaking (I think pretty much everyone is), but it gets much easier with practice. Incidentally, it's a necessary skill if you want to be a professional scientist these days, and most university Ph.D programs have a seminar requirement afaik.

message 4: by Mickey (new)

Mickey Jury Duty.

message 5: by Jimmy (new)

Jimmy | 87 comments The log truck is going to fall apart and all the logs are going to roll off and crush me as I ride by. So I speed up.

message 6: by Kenny (last edited May 06, 2014 04:54AM) (new)

Kenny Chaffin (kennychaffin) Heights, and Chihuahuas....well not really chihuahuas....I just dislike them intensely.

message 7: by Stan (new)

Stan Morris (morriss003) Kenny wrote: "Heights, and Chihuahuas....well not really chihuahuas....I just dislike them intensely."

Chihuahuas. Aliens in disguise

message 8: by Kenny (new)

Kenny Chaffin (kennychaffin) There is reason for fear!

message 9: by Bigollo (last edited May 06, 2014 05:36PM) (new)

Bigollo | 23 comments Jimmy wrote: "The log truck is going to fall apart and all the logs are going to roll off and crush me as I ride by. So I speed up."

Your comment reminded me of what I experienced for real. I had to travel along with five other people on that small platform between the cabin of a log truck and its log load for about 20 km. In the winter. In Siberia. The scariest parts were when the road made a turn, the cabin had to follow, rotating first independently from the load, and the logs at that moment were steadfastly drawing near to squash you against the cabin with imperturbable calmness. Nobody was injured. But it was a good food for nightmares for quite some time.

message 10: by Al (new)

Al Mickey wrote: "Jury Duty."

I've never heard of that one before. To be honest, I've always wanted to be on a jury just to see the legal system in action.

message 11: by Stan (new)

Stan Morris (morriss003) I've never served on a regular jury, but I was a grand juror. It was ridiculous.

message 12: by Mickey (last edited May 16, 2014 07:48PM) (new)

Mickey Al wrote: "Mickey wrote: "Jury Duty."

I've never heard of that one before. To be honest, I've always wanted to be on a jury just to see the legal system in action."

In my county, jury duty is not a one day deal. It is a month long deal of daily calling the phone to see if you have to go that day. Hundreds of people are brought in at a time, just two restrooms, no cafeterias, all day events to see if your selected for the hot seat. It disrupts ones work, I have a farm, animals to feed, I have to call people up at the last minute to take care of the animals at a great cost to me. One can be called every day for different cases. This can go on year after year.

The problem is there is one city in a large unpopulated county. Outsiders go to the city commit a crime and so few locals to serve.

message 13: by Kenny (last edited May 16, 2014 07:31PM) (new)

Kenny Chaffin (kennychaffin) Never heard of it being a month long. I've been 'called' for potential duty a few times, twice only had to call in and was dismissed, more recently had to go in and sit around for a few hours before being dismissed.

The promise was that it would be one day or one trial depending on if you were selected for a jury or not.

Chihuahua's are much more scary. http://mansionsofthemind.blogspot.com...

message 14: by Mickey (last edited May 16, 2014 07:44PM) (new)

Mickey Kenny wrote: "Never heard of it being a month long. I've been 'called' for potential duty a few times, twice only had to call in and was dismissed, more recently had to go in and sit around for a few hours befor..."

Not where I am! One can be called up for several days at time for selection. Now if you are selected for the hot seat, then yes you are excused after the case is over. But that case can last for several days.

As time goes by I am more and more in support of a Proffesional jury system and just vote for those that want to be a Proffesional juror. OR just let those who want to serve serve.

message 15: by Kenny (last edited May 16, 2014 07:50PM) (new)

Kenny Chaffin (kennychaffin) I've never heard of being 'on call' for a month at at time. As I said all I've ever seen (in several jurisdictions and a couple of states) is that it usually just a call-in for a day or two. Yes if you get selected it is for the duration of the trial, buy even those are usually just a few days at the most. Call me skeptical.
Where do you live?

message 16: by Mickey (last edited May 16, 2014 08:33PM) (new)

Mickey Kenny wrote: "I've never heard of being 'on call' for a month at at time. As I said all I've ever seen (in several jurisdictions and a couple of states) is that it usually just a call-in for a day or two. Yes if..."

Boondocks of Michigan. Yes, everyday for one month I had to call every weeknight and see if I had to show up for jury selection the next day. Can be called for different cases on different days during that month.

When I lived in the populated suburbs of Detroit, you are correct. It was a one day deal If not selected. However, in a low populated county, the courts can call you as often as needed. One drawback to living in the countryside.

message 17: by Mickey (last edited May 16, 2014 10:52PM) (new)

Mickey For the skeptics on Jury Duty here is a similar state with the same rules.

Look down until you reach "Length of Service" on the link below. One month on call.
http://www.tnmd.uscourts.gov/juror_ha...

My greatest phobia. The exception, the court I went to had no cafeteria. Had to go to packed expensive resturants two blocks away and hope I get back in time.

message 18: by Kenny (new)

Kenny Chaffin (kennychaffin) That's insane. I'm not moving there...

message 19: by Mickey (last edited May 17, 2014 06:45AM) (new)

Mickey Kenny wrote: "That's insane. I'm not moving there..."

Agreed, coming soon to a court system near you. Also the letters you get threatening you with jail time if you do not comply. That adds to the worry and fear, My phobia.

message 20: by Mel (new)

Mel | 96 comments HA jury duty. omg I hear ya. Thank God the one time I was ever summoned it was in the wrong county, BOOM. I was happy. My ma insisted on notifying them about it for me when she realized I wasn't going to do anything about it lol. Even though I was like "dude, if they are gonna make an issue out of it, they will have to come FIND ME IN THE COUNTY THAT I ACTUALLY LIVE IN. You know, the county where THEIR OWN SUMMONS IS NO GOOD?????" So there was no way I was gonna bother responding at all. But she insisted on doing it for me because SHE was worried......so yes, jury duty is a scary thing. So glad I was only summoned in the one county AFTER I hadn't lived there for a few years.

Gawd, yank me into that??? I'd seriously just sit there with a string of drool hanging out until they disqualified me. Hell, I'd mess my pants if it got me outta there faster :P

message 21: by Mel (new)

Mel | 96 comments Oh, and Mickey, your county sucks! kidding, but OMG! they expect YOU to call and check????? wow.......i'd break my own phone just to say it was broken, that's how psycho that system would make me. omg, I am soooooo sorry, dude!