The Toast discussion

Intro to LGBTQ fiction

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alex (new)

Alex (joysprick) | 4 comments Fellow Toasties,

I would like to read more fiction by/about LGBTQ people and issues. Would you mind recommending some of your favorites?

message 2: by J (last edited May 08, 2014 02:50AM) (new)

J (onelittlefish) | 1 comments I recently read and enjoyed The Miseducation of Cameron Post and Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe (YA). I also like More of This World or Maybe Another (short stories) and Fun Home (graphic novel - although this is a memoir). If you like historical fiction, a lot of people have good things to say about Sarah Waters. I have not read much fiction with trans characters and nothing leaps out as an immediate recommendation, but Nevada is on my to read list.

message 3: by Alex (new)

Alex (joysprick) | 4 comments oh cool, thanks for the recommendations!

message 4: by Sam (new)

Sam | 1 comments For historical fiction, I really liked Fingersmith and The Night Watch, both by Sarah Waters, and At Swim, Two Boys by Jamie O'Neill. Zami: A New Spelling of My Name by Audre Lorde is also very, very good, but it's a memoir.

message 5: by Nicole (new)

Nicole  (infophibian) | 1 comments I second The Miseducation of Cameron Post, that book made me feel things. The Collection: Short Fiction from the Transgender Vanguard is a great place to start for recent trans writing. It's a little uneven but overall a very rewarding read.

message 6: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (vair) | 4 comments I'd recommend Alison Bechdel's graphic novels (Fun Home is one of my favorite books ever), Sarah Schulman's novels, Rubyfruit Jungle (it's a classic), Stone Butch Blues (another classic), Michelle Tea's books, and Jeanette Winterson's Oranges are Not the Only Fruit.

message 7: by marykate (new)

marykate (mmkat) | 1 comments i just read affinity by sarah waters and it was lovely. also carmilla, if you're into some old school gothic sapphic vampires!

message 8: by Emily (new)

Emily Highly recommend Nevada, it's one of the few trans stories I've come across that's not a transition story. I didn't always love reading it, but I chalk that up to being a cis reader with a book that's very much for trans readers.

The Summer We Got Free is a good one too, it touches on so many issues and I loved the characters. And Beautiful Music for Ugly Children is a sweet YA about a trans boy who's a radio dj.

message 9: by Dorianne (new)

Dorianne Emmerton | 1 comments I think Holding Still For As Long As Possible is a must read - it's the book that's felt closest to my own life, though I think/hope others from different perspectives would love it as well. I have such a crush on Josh, the transguy who is one of the 3 main protagonists, and I identify with Billy, one of the women in love with him, who suffers from anxiety.

message 10: by Lily (last edited Jul 13, 2016 06:30AM) (new)

Lily Erickson | 4 comments I would second the recommendation for Jeanette Winterson! Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit was spectacular! As was Written on the Body, although I think Oranges makes for a better introduction as it has a lot of autobiographical elements.