What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Twelve Kingdoms: Sea of Wind (The Twelve Kingdoms, #2)
This topic is about The Twelve Kingdoms
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Teen fiction book that begins with centaur creature being hatched from an egg? [s]

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amanda (last edited May 04, 2014 09:20PM) (new) - added it

Amanda (stoneknivesandbearskins) | 79 comments I'm looking for this teen fiction book (the first in a series) I read the first chapter or so of. It begins with a centaur creature hatching from an egg, "dripping embryonic fluid", and is told by a few nonhuman beings that it is the guardian of a creature that has yet to be born (also from an egg). An earthquake occurs, causing the egg to be lost, and the creatures theorize that it was stolen.

The narrative then switches to that of the stolen creature, who has been raised as a boy in a human family, where he is misunderstood and doesn't really fit in, despite the encouragement and care of his human mother. The creatures have found him after all these years, and eagerly reclaim him. He is young enough that he doesn't fully understand the situation, but begins crying when they tell him he can't go back.

I remember one of the characters mentioning that the centaur thing was neither male nor female, but it apparently had human breasts that served no practical purpose, as it had an udder similar to a cow's.

It was apparently based on Japanese or Chinese folklore, and was illustrated with a bluish-greenish cover. I tried to find it at the library I checked it out from, and have done numerous internet searches, but nothing came up. If anyone has any information, it would be much appreciated.

message 2: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4844 comments How many years ago did you read this?

message 3: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda (stoneknivesandbearskins) | 79 comments Tab wrote: "How many years ago did you read this?"

Two years ago at the most.

message 4: by Aerulan (new) - added it

Aerulan | 1180 comments Don't want to be rude or anything but are you sure it was a centaur creature? Those are generally depicted as half horse half human, and hatching from an egg would be a bit odd for a creature that's half of two mammals. Could you have meant a gryphon -eagle/lion- or something similar? If it was a centaur that should make it pretty distinctive, and set it apart from other books with centaurs.

message 5: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda (stoneknivesandbearskins) | 79 comments I'm pretty sure it was a centaur. Probably not called a centaur in the book, but it looked like one. Unless it was a hybrid of more than one creature, in which case I don't remember what the third one was.

message 6: by Aerulan (new) - added it

Aerulan | 1180 comments There are a couple centaur listopias, along with more general 'mythical creatures' lists, have you taken a look at any of those yet?

message 7: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda (stoneknivesandbearskins) | 79 comments Aerulan wrote: "There are a couple centaur listopias, along with more general 'mythical creatures' lists, have you taken a look at any of those yet?"

I did, but the centaur creature wasn't the focus of the story, the boy was.

message 8: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeths01) | 98 comments It's been years since I read this so I don't know if it fits at all but thought of it when I read your post. Child of the Dark Prophecy Child of the Dark Prophecy (The Great Tree of Avalon, #1) by T.A. Barron

message 9: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda (stoneknivesandbearskins) | 79 comments Elizabeth wrote: "It's been years since I read this so I don't know if it fits at all but thought of it when I read your post. Child of the Dark ProphecyChild of the Dark Prophecy (The Great Tree of Avalon, #1) by T.A. Barron"

Sorry, that isn't it.

message 10: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeths01) | 98 comments Eh like I said, been years since I read it so wasn't expecting much.

message 11: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6980 comments Mod
COuld the creature have been a hypogriff (hypogryph/hipogryph) which is somewhat similar to a centaur in that it is part horse. But is winged, and thus might actually hatch from an egg?

message 12: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda (stoneknivesandbearskins) | 79 comments Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "COuld the creature have been a hypogriff (hypogryph/hipogryph) which is somewhat similar to a centaur in that it is part horse. But is winged, and thus might actually hatch from an egg?"

Possibly. But would a hypogriff be found in Asian folklore?

message 13: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6980 comments Mod
Not entirely sure Miri--but there is some over-lap of creatures. But, since you were using a centaur--they aren't usually found in Asian folklore either, are they? Or at least, I haven't seen them in the fairy tales and fables that I've read.

message 14: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda (stoneknivesandbearskins) | 79 comments I assumed it was a centaur because it had the upper body of a human.

message 15: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda (stoneknivesandbearskins) | 79 comments Probably the only way I'll ever know what this book was called is if someone on here read it themselves.

message 16: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda (stoneknivesandbearskins) | 79 comments By a stroke of pure luck, I found it in a used bookstore and recognized the cover. The Twelve Kingdoms Sea of Wind (The Twelve Kingdoms, #2) by Fuyumi Ono