Time Travel discussion

Picking Monthly Books - Archives > July and August Nominations

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy, Queen of Time (last edited May 06, 2014 09:33AM) (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
GUIDELINES FOR NOMINATIONS:
1. July and August Theme: Time travel
2. The books being nominated must currently be in print, available used in large quantities, or be available as an eBook.
3. You can nominate up to 2 books.
4. You can nominate your own book, but you cannot recruit people to vote for your book.
5. Please use "add book/author" at the top of the comment box to create a link to the cover and/or the book that you nominate along with information about the book or about why you want to nominate the book. Be sure to provide a link to the book and not just to the picture since some Android & iPhone apps don't pick up on the book cover links.
6. Sequels cannot be nominated unless they can stand alone without the previous book/s. Please do not nominate a collection of short stories unless the stories work together as a whole.
7. Do not nominate a book we've previously read: https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

Nominations: May 3 - May 30
Voting: June 1 - June 15
New Book Discussion: July 1 and August 1

The 2 books receiving the most votes will be the next 2 books that we read. In the event of a tie for 2nd place, we will read the top 3 books.

message 2: by Amy, Queen of Time (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
I'm going to nominate:

Hollow World by Michael J. Sullivan Hollow World by Michael J. Sullivan: Ellis Rogers is an ordinary man who is about to embark on an extraordinary journey. All his life he has played it safe and done the right thing, but when faced with a terminal illness, he’s willing to take an insane gamble. He’s built a time machine in his garage, and if it works, he’ll face a world that challenges his understanding of what it means to be human, what it takes to love, and the cost of paradise. He could find more than a cure for his illness; he might find what everyone has been searching for since time began…but only if he can survive Hollow World. (GoodReads blurb)

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited May 26, 2014 11:54AM) (new)

Geared to the Present, Jones Whitman Time Traveler Series by Dana Bennett Geared to the Present, Jones Whitman Time Traveler Series
Geared to the Present is the story of Jones Whitman who, after making unsavory lifestyle choices in Boston society, learns his father, James, has arranged for him to school under the tutelage of Master Wong Fei-hung in Foshan, China. Jones Whitman submits to the teaching, evolving into a strong and ethical young man. Fei-hung, master of Hung Gar gives each student a new name upon graduation. Jones’s new name is Time Traveler. Jones spends the next seven years working diligently on a design for a time machine,the Atomotron. When the first human trial is to take place, he inadvertently trips the lever and jumps forward 120 years to Snohomish, Washington, 2012. That is where the real adventure begins.

message 4: by Michel (last edited May 05, 2014 06:34PM) (new)

Michel Poulin | 90 comments Codename Athena (Time Patrol Nancy Laplante, #1) by Michel Poulin Codename: Athena I would like to nominate my own ebook novel,CODENAME: ATHENA, which is available for free on Goodreads.com. It is the first of a series that will ultimately count seven ebooks and has been on this site for a while already. I however replaced the original text about a month ago with a corrected edition, in order to get rid of a number of typos and grammar mistakes in the original version. The story features a Canadian war correspondent and reserve army officer from the year 2012, Nancy Laplante, who is kidnapped by scientists from the far future and dumped with her car in 1940 England, with the goal of using her as a guinea pig for their time travel experiments. Things however go very wrong from the start and Nancy will find herself marooned in the past and forced to survive in a brutal world war.

message 5: by Colleen (new)

Colleen The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger or The House on the Strand by Daphne du Maurier

message 6: by Amy, Queen of Time (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
Colleen:

Thank you for your nominations. However, we've already read The House on the Strand. You can nominate another if you'd like, as long as it's not on this list of books we've already read: https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

message 7: by Colleen (last edited May 06, 2014 09:49AM) (new)

Colleen I'm sorry I clicked on that link and it said it wasn't working so I thought I checked the bookshelf but I guess I didn't do such a good job sorry I'm an idiot.I think I checked the to read self by accident.How about Somewhere in Time by Richard Matheson

message 8: by Amy, Queen of Time (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
Colleen wrote: "I'm sorry I clicked on that link and it said it wasn't working so I thought I checked the bookshelf but I guess I didn't do such a good job sorry I'm an idiot.I think I checked the to read self by..."

Not a big deal. Actually, it worked out nicely because I was able to go in and take some books off the shelf that others had added that we actually haven't read yet.

I'm surprised nobody has ever nominated the Matheson book before.

message 9: by Heather(Gibby) (new)

Heather(Gibby) (heather-gibby) | 427 comments Tom's Midnight Garden Tom's Midnight Garden by Philippa Pearce

Should I even bother? maybe people will vote, because they are sick of seeing me nominate it!

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I am going to nominate:

The Man from Primrose Lane

I read this last year and can certify that it is a brilliantly original twist on the time travel genre.

Damian

message 11: by Amy, Queen of Time (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
Damian wrote: "I am going to nominate:

The Man from Primrose Lane

I read this last year and can certify that it is a brilliantly original twist on the time travel genre.

Damian"

That sounds genuinely bizarre and interesting.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

It is certainly unique. I might even re-read it.

message 13: by Amy, Queen of Time (last edited May 06, 2014 01:31PM) (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
Heather wrote: "Tom's Midnight GardenTom's Midnight Garden by Philippa Pearce

Should I even bother? maybe people will vote, because they are sick of seeing me nominate it!"

Ha ha. Maybe. Maybe not. Does it ever get votes?

I've seen some other groups keep up one running poll where everything that has ever been nominated is left on the poll so that people don't have to nominate their favorites over and over. I'm thinking of doing this starting with this poll. I'd leave the poll open indefinitely, allow write-ins, monitor additions, and declare a winner at a pre-established time each month. I suppose we could keep the list short by removing books each time that don't get any votes. So you'd have to keep on voting for Tom's Midnight Garden or keep adding it to the poll every month to keep it active.

As you can see, I like to re-invent the wheel from time to time. :-)

message 14: by Garrett (new)

Garrett Smith (garrettsmith) | 246 comments Amy,

Thank you for allowing authors to nominate their own books. We're going to take you up on the offer.

We nominate our book Rabbit Hole Rabbit Hole (The Paradox Series, #1) by Garrett Smith by Garrett Smith, Book 1 in the Paradox Series. We are currently working on Book 2 and hope to have a late summer/early fall release.

The first two chapters of Rabbit Hole can be found on our web site at: http://paradoxseries.com/sample_chapt...

The book is available in eBook at all the major eBook sellers and in softcover on Amazon.com where some used copies are available.

The eBook is currently on sale for 99 cents (US $).

Synopsis:

Rabbit Hole is the first book in the Paradox Series. Set in 2025, Rabbit Hole tells the story of the partnership of Rabbit Hole Time Travel—the world’s first commercial time travel company, and Paradox Force—a government sanctioned black ops organization. Together they race to find and defeat the Rippers—a shadowy organization determined to use stolen time travel technology to alter the past to gain unlimited power and wealth.

Brilliant scientist Dr. Nora Hamilton, CEO of Rabbit Hole Time Travel, teams up with former Special Forces operative Nick Canton, Director of Corrective Mission at Paradox Force. They rush to locate and rescue Nora’s mentor, Dr. Marcus Locke, who has been kidnapped by the Rippers. On the way, they must also correct altered history before it can do irreparable damage to the present. While preserving historic moments that shaped the world today, they travel across hundreds of years and to locations around the globe. As Nick and Nora’s romance heats up, they recruit the team that will follow them any place, any time. In the process, they all learn more about themselves and the importance of trust and teamwork.

All the best,
Cynthia K. Garrett and Michael C. Smith
writing together as Garrett Smith

message 15: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 188 comments How about Until the Next Time by Kevin Fox Until the Next Time by Kevin Fox?

I nominated it last time, it came close, I think. :)

message 16: by Nathan, First Tiger (new)

Nathan Coops (icoops) | 544 comments Mod
In Times Like These (Volume 1) by Nathan Van Coops In Times Like These by myself Nathan Van Coops is book one of a time travel adventure series.

Here's the blurb:
"We broke something. How do you break time? Can something so bad happen that you fracture the world?"
Benjamin Travers has been electrocuted. What’s worse, he and his friends have woken up in the past. As the friends search for a way home, they realize they’re not alone. There are other time travelers, and some of them are turning up dead.
When Ben meets an enigmatic scientist and his charming, time-traveling daughter, salvation seems at hand, but escaping the dangers of the past may lead to a deadly future.
If he hopes to save his friends, Ben must learn to master space and time, and survive a journey where past and future violently collide.

What the readers are saying:
GoodReads reviewers have called it: "Refreshing," "delightful," "Perhaps the best time travel book I've ever read." "...kept me wanting to read more and more."

Amazon reviewers: "Truly fabulous and fresh," "excellent, surprising, different sci-fi, and well worth the read." "Solid, compelling storytelling,"

message 17: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 188 comments I feel bad when I don't vote for one of our members' books. Almost none of them are in my local library, nor in any library in my state. I'd just like to apologize ahead of time to our resident authors. When I don't nominate or vote for one of your books, it has NOTHING to do with the book, but rather availability.

message 18: by Amy, Queen of Time (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
Nathan wrote: "GoodReads reviewers have called it: "Refreshing," "delightful,"..."

Your book is making me thirsty.

message 19: by Garrett (new)

Garrett Smith (garrettsmith) | 246 comments MK wrote: "I feel bad when I don't vote for one of our members' books. Almost none of them are in my local library, nor in any library in my state. I'd just like to apologize ahead of time to our resident aut..."

MK,

We all want this process to be fun for everybody, and certainly never compulsory or guilt-provoking. There are many good authors in this group, and many good time travel books that none of us wrote.

No member should ever feel uncomfortable for what they nominate or how they vote.

It's all good.

message 20: by Nathan, First Tiger (last edited May 08, 2014 07:50AM) (new)

Amy Wrote: Your book is making me thirsty.

That made me laugh. Lap it up!

MK wrote: I feel bad when I don't vote for one of our members' books. Almost none of them are in my local library, nor in any library in my state. I'd just like to apologize ahead of time...

MK, not sure if you have a Kindle, but if you sign up for Amazon Prime, lots of books that were in the $0.99- 3.99 range end up being free. (Of course a Kindle isn't free and Prime isn't free, but I think most users would agree that they are a great value. Free* books, plus free TV, plus lots of free Shipping) Not sure if that's an avenue you plan to go down but it has been a happy journey for me so far.

I totally understand though, the library is a great resource and I think all indy publishers would love to be in there, but it's challenging unless you go through the process of submitting to each one. It's tough breaking into that end of the system.

Definitely don't feel bad though. Votes for classic traditionally published time-travel fare get the rest of us reading good stuff too. I am looking forward to having the inspiration to finish next month's "Time and Again" selection. I got bogged down in it and I think the discussion will be the impetus I need to crack it back open again. I love hearing everybody's thoughts.

message 21: by MK (last edited May 08, 2014 08:16AM) (new)

MK (wisny) | 188 comments Nathan and Garrett, thankyou both for your thoughts and comments.

I just wanted you (and all the group members who are also authors) to understand that my failing to cast a vote for your books has nothing to do with your books (but rather, availability)! :D (if that makes sense, I hope it does).

As I get to know some of you a little, it makes me feel especially bad to pass over your book(s), come voting time.

message 22: by Paul (last edited May 21, 2014 11:46AM) (new)

Paul | 341 comments I'll nominate:

If I Never Get Back by Darryl Brock If I Never Get Back

I give this book and Jack Finney's "Time and Again" credit for turning me on to the possibilities of Time Travel Historical Fiction. Don't worry if you don't know baseball of 1869, as it's simply part of the setting. The story is much more.

(Now available in Kindle ebook and paperback versions on Amazon.)

message 23: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie I'd like to nominate Hollow City (Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, #2) by Ransom Riggs as I've been planning to read it this summer anyway.

Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish (cherylllr) | 902 comments I'm going to vote for Tom's Midnight Garden. But I want to keep Disconnected on everyone's radar, too, because I still haven't read my copy. Especially as I see there's a new edition, with a new cover:

Disconnected by A.K. Adler is now avl. as: Disconnected by A.K. Adler

message 25: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie mine might not work as I just read the part about not a book in a series and Hollow City is the 2nd in one. Not sure if it stands alone OK or not.

message 26: by Amy, Queen of Time (last edited May 30, 2014 01:07PM) (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
Nominations Are Now Closed

Voting Starts June 1st
Poll: https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

message 27: by Amy, Queen of Time (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
Voting Ended June 15th.

And the Winners Are:

Hollow World by Michael J. Sullivan Hollow World by Michael J. Sullivan

and Rabbit Hole (The Paradox Series, #1) by Garrett Smith Rabbit Hole by Garrett Smith

We'll read Hollow World in July and Rabbit Hole in August. Any books that received 2 or more votes will be automatically added to the next poll.

message 28: by Lincoln, Temporal Jester (new)

Lincoln | 1290 comments Mod
Yay for Rabbit Hole!! I am sure I will enjoy Hollow World as well but I read Rabbit Hole last August and I am excited to read it again with the group.

message 29: by Heather(Gibby) (new)

Heather(Gibby) (heather-gibby) | 427 comments This will help me in reaching my goal of reading 6 books by group members by the end of the year.

message 30: by Nathan, First Tiger (new)

Sooo clooose. Having Deja vu. :)

Looking forward to reading both of these.

message 31: by Garrett (new)

Garrett Smith (garrettsmith) | 246 comments Lincoln wrote: "Yay for Rabbit Hole!! I am sure I will enjoy Hollow World as well but I read Rabbit Hole last August and I am excited to read it again with the group."

Thank you, Lincoln. We are just thrilled!

Nathan,your book looks very interesting. Think September. Be September.