Cozy Mysteries discussion

Victoria Laurie
This topic is about Victoria Laurie
Featured Cozy Authors > Featured Author - May 2014 - Victoria Laurie

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (last edited May 03, 2014 08:19PM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) | 1576 comments Mod
Our featured author this month is Victoria Laurie. Her official website is: http://www.victorialaurie.com/

About this author

Victoria Laurie is the New York Times bestselling author of 23 books and counting. Victoria divides her time between her two adult mystery series, (The Psychic Eye Mysteries, and The Ghost Hunter Mysteries), and a Y/A thriller, Death Date, to be released in early January of 2015.

As a professional psychic, Victoria's protagonists - psychic Abigail Cooper, and spiritual medium M. J. Holliday - tackle the tricky world of the paranormal while fighting bad guys and demons with plenty of plucky humor and determination.

And using that keen understanding of the paranormal, Victoria also created the character of Maddie Fynn, a teenager with the unique intuitive ability to predict the exact date of someone's death.

Psychic Eye Series

Abby Cooper is a professional psychic intuitive who has everyone else figured out far better than she has her own life managed. She knows all too well that being psychic doesn't let her sidestep murder and mayhem - it just lets her know that it's coming. Luckily, she has plenty of help from her best friend and business partner, Candice Fusco - one badass P.I., along with the love of Abby's life - the gorgeous Dutch Rivers. Together, Candice and Dutch help keep Abby focused on finding the bad guys while often dodging the odd stray bullet or two.

#1 Abby Cooper, Psychic Eye
#2 Better Read Than Dead
#3 A Vision of Murder
#4 Killer Insight
#5 Crime Seen
#6 Death Perception
#7 Doom with a View
#8 A Glimpse of Evil
#9 Vision Impossible
#10 Lethal Outlook
#11 Deadly Forecast
#12 Fatal Fortune: (July 2014)

Ghost Hunter Mystery series

M. J. Holliday is a spiritual medium who's not afraid of a little adventure. Together with her BFF Gilley Gillespie, M. J. runs a ghostbusting business which often puts historical murder and mayhem front and center. With competing love interests, a best friend who's scared of his own shadow, and a parrot with attitude, some days, it's all M. J. can do just to stay focused.

#1 What's a Ghoul to Do?
#2 Demons are a Ghoul's Best Friend
#3 Ghouls Just Haunt to Have Fun
#4 Ghouls Gone Wild
#5 Ghouls, Ghouls, Ghouls
#6 Ghoul Interrupted
#7 What a Ghoul Wants
#8 The Ghoul Next Door (Jan 2014)

Oracles of Delphi Keep Series

Ian Wigby is an orphan who has been given the task of saving the world by the greatest Oracle of Delphi the world has ever known. Along with his sister, Theo, and his best mate, Carl, Ian must follow a three-thousand-year-old prophecy to gather other orphans, each with a unique and special intuitive talent all while battling sorcerers, hellhounds, and the forces of the German Reich.

#1 Oracles of Delphi Keep
#2 The Curse of Deadman's Forest
#3 Quest for the Secret Keeper

message 2: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments Good choice! I'm all current on the Abby Cooper books. Just waiting for the next one this summer. The Ghost Hunter books got a little over the top for me, so I stopped reading them, but they're quite popular.

message 3: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 197 comments I just discover her books last year. I am a little over a half way through the Psyic Eye Mystery series and have a number of the Ghost Hunter books I plan to read. Victoria Laurie is right up there as being one of my favorite authors. Good choice.

message 4: by Nell (new)

Nell | 1154 comments I read the first three in the Psychic Eye series and have the next four in my TBR stack. Remember liking the main character and the series so I will gladly pick up where I left off.

message 5: by Linda (new)

Linda (rudylkr) | 7206 comments I've read a couple of the psychic eye series and enjoyed them. I don't currently have any of them in my TBR but do have the second ghost hunter Demons are a Ghoul's Best Friend so I will read that.

message 6: by Tricia (new)

Tricia Douglas (teachgiftedkids) | 199 comments I don't think I know this author at all! Shame on me. I know I'll have fun choosing one for this month's read.

message 7: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie I put one from each series on hold at the library, so whichever comes first it is. If I like the one I read I usually go back and try and read them in order.

message 8: by BJ Rose (new)

BJ Rose (bjrose) | 1887 comments I read the first in her Psychic Eye series a year or so ago, so will try the first in her Ghost Hunter series - What's a Ghoul to Do? (Ghost Hunter Mystery, #1) by Victoria Laurie

❂ Murder by Death  (murderbydeath) I have her latest psychic eye from last year in the TBR pile. I really procrastinated over picking it up. This is the perfect excuse to read it and a chance to finally participate in the monthly author read (since I already have the book on hand). Yay!

message 10: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments ❂ Jennifer (reviews on BookLikes) wrote: "I have her latest psychic eye from last year in the TBR pile. I really procrastinated over picking it up. This is the perfect excuse to read it and a chance to finally participate in the monthly ..."

I wasn't crazy about that one.

❂ Murder by Death  (murderbydeath) Melodie wrote: "❂ Jennifer (reviews on BookLikes) wrote: "I have her latest psychic eye from last year in the TBR pile. I really procrastinated over picking it up. This is the perfect excuse to read it and a cha..."

I think that's part of why I've procrastinated. :D

message 12: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 17300 comments Mod
I've read the first books in both the Psychic Eye and Ghost Hunter series. Liked the PE one, but not so much the GH book. I have books 2-4 in PE in Mount TBR, so will try to get to at least one of those this month.

message 13: by BJ Rose (new)

BJ Rose (bjrose) | 1887 comments I have just the opposite reaction as Heather's. I read Abby Cooper, Psychic Eye and thought it was just OK, but had no impulse to continue the series. So I decided to go with the Ghost Hunter series, and just finished What's a Ghoul to Do? and found myself more involved in the story - maybe it was all the references to "Dr. Delicious". Admittedly, the whole ghost busting idea just seemed like it was too easily accepted by a lot of people, and it came across as somewhat hokey, but I liked it enough to pick up the next in the series at some point in the near future. Not shoving aside other books to get to it, tho.

message 14: by Luffy (new)

Luffy (monkey-d-luffy) I'm going to read both books, but I registered here too late.

message 15: by Nell (new)

Nell | 1154 comments Luffy wrote: "I'm going to read both books, but I registered here too late."

It's not too late.

message 16: by Luffy (new)

Luffy (monkey-d-luffy) Nell wrote: "It's not too late."

Well I'll think about it seriously.

message 17: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Luffy wrote: "I'm going to read both books, but I registered here too late."

Luffy, there's no time limit on the featured author books. You can read whichever ones you want, any time you want -- or none at all (some authors are harder to find than others). In fact, we often recommend those new to the cozy mystery genre start by checking out the "Featured Author" section.

message 18: by Luffy (new)

Luffy (monkey-d-luffy) Heather L wrote: "Luffy, there's no time limit on the featured author books. You can read whichever ones you want, any time you want -- or none at all"

What you say still seems unlikely to me, maybe you're right on a technicality. Anyway, its nice of you to guide me.

Yes some authors ARE harder to find. Else I would have joined this group a year ago. It's quite frustrating for me. But I think I'll benefit from being here.

message 19: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

I'm about to go off on a rant here, but want to preface this by saying this is an attack on the author's writing, not the author herself.

I finished Better Read Than Dead Tuesday night and read more than half of A Vision of Murder last night. Only nine chapters into this third book of the series, and I am already irritated with the author, to whom I offer this advice: before you turn in your next book, use the "find" feature and KILL every "just then" in the manuscript. All of them!

In nine chapters we've already seen it eleven times, five of which were in the second chapter alone -- and three of those were clumped together in one scene. Some might argue that it's her "style," but there's nothing stylish about it. It's weak, sloppy and lazy writing.

In every single instance, the sentence would not only stand on its own without it, but would also be stronger. Better. We were not allowed to use this gimmick in my HS or college English/writing courses, which makes the fact that editors would allow it all the more astonishing.

Here are a few examples of what I am talking about from the second and third books in the "Psychic Eye" series (I'm not finishing sentences so as to avoid spoilers):

1. Just then we pulled up in front of my office, and for the first time I felt the full sting of the disastrous afternoon...

2. Just then, to my right, Sal jumped behind me...

3. My eye drifted to my purse just then, and I noticed the small notebook that I'd used when I'd written down the details of my dream..."

4. Just then I was overcome by a succession of coughs...
(It actually occurred twice in this particular paragraph.)

5. Just then, through the darkness of the room, I saw to my immense relief a large black trunk...

6. Just then there was a quick knock on my door and Cat and I both looked up...

7. Just then my cell phone chirped loudly from my purse...

8. Just then Dutch reached for the light switch...

9. Just then a door opened off the lobby...

Get what I'm saying here? In every instance, the "just then" is superfluous -- not to mention down right annoying and distracting.

Rant over.

message 20: by Luffy (new)

Luffy (monkey-d-luffy) Heather L wrote: "I'm about to go off on a rant here, but want to preface this by saying this is an attack on the author's writing, not the author herself.

I finished Better Read Than Dead Tuesday ni..."

Methinks I'm going to avoid the books of this writer. Thanks for helping me make up my mind.

message 21: by Nell (new)

Nell | 1154 comments Heather L wrote: "I'm about to go off on a rant here, but want to preface this by saying this is an attack on the author's writing, not the author herself.

I finished Better Read Than Dead Tuesday ni..."

ROFL... I don't remember this quirk from previous books though it's been awhile since I read them. Now I'll be hyper-alert to every instance if she continues this tactic in book 4 - the next read in the series for me.

message 22: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Nell ~ I don't remember it being a problem in book one -- of this series or the Ghost Hunters -- but it's been a couple years since I read them. I've been hyper-alert (as you put it *grin*) to this since a mainstream novel read in early April. I loved the premise of the book, but the "just thens" nearly drove me up a wall. I only kept reading as I wanted to see how he pulled off the ending. Like you, I have the 4th "Psychic Eye" in Mount TBR, but I think it's going to be a while before I attempt it.

Luffy ~ Aside from her penchant for "just thens," the books are good mysteries, and I love some of the characters. I was laughing my butt off early this evening over a scene involving a bulldozer. Snickering again now thinking about it. ☺

message 23: by Luffy (new)

Luffy (monkey-d-luffy) I appreciate your advice, but if I'm going to read these books, it'll be well after this month. Again thank you.

message 24: by Toni (new)

Toni (tonilh) I finished What's a Ghoul to Do? (Ghost Hunter Mystery, #1) by Victoria Laurie . It is an entertaining, quick read with fun and quirky characters. A really good start to a series and one that I will be continuing. This was unexpected, as I normally wouldn't have picked up a book about "ghostbusting."

Waiting now for Abby Cooper, Psychic Eye (Psychic Eye Mystery, #1) by Victoria Laurie to come available through the library (Overdrive).

message 25: by Diana (new)

Diana Dunn (dianaxdunn) | 49 comments Heather L. - loved your post - nothing like a good rant! I read this series years ago and went off it around book three…I can't say it was the "just then"s that drove me away, but I don't know exactly what it was, either. I'll have to see if I've still got them somewhere and have a look…they might not have managed to make it back across the Atlantic, though...

message 26: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Diana wrote: "Heather L. - loved your post - nothing like a good rant! I read this series years ago and went off it around book three…I can't say it was the "just then"s that drove me away, but I don't know exa..."

Thanks, Diana! (view spoiler)

message 27: by Diana (new)

Diana Dunn (dianaxdunn) | 49 comments How cool is the hide spoiler thing? I didn't know it existed…now…careful reply…you know that could be part of it…I need to find them or grab one from the library and reread it to see if I can remember exactly what I got annoyed about. It isn't really like me, I usually fall in love with a series and stay hooked, even when the series goes downhill (so tempted to give a few examples, but I won't here!).

message 28: by Luffy (new)

Luffy (monkey-d-luffy) Diana wrote: "(so tempted to give a few examples, but I won't here!). "

Why not?

message 29: by Diana (new)

Diana Dunn (dianaxdunn) | 49 comments I hate to say negative things about other authors and their writing. Sometimes it seems like an author has mentally given up on a series or is just milking it for all the money they can get out of it, but I'm not sure I wouldn't be tempted to do the same if I was ever lucky enough to have a HUGE best selling series. I did rant on here recently about an author who used a motive for murder than was just wrong (she said it was not legally possible to do something and it totally is) and that is one series I won't read again. It just makes me feel bad to be critical of other people's work…maybe I'm just too much of a wimp!

message 30: by ☯Emily (new)

☯Emily  Ginder | 56459 comments Luffy wrote: "Diana wrote: "(so tempted to give a few examples, but I won't here!). "

Why not?"

We have other threads that talk about reasons why we lose interest in series. You could always start a thread also. This thread should be used to discuss Victoria Laurie and her books.

message 31: by Diana (new)

Diana Dunn (dianaxdunn) | 49 comments Sorry...must remember to stay on SQUIRREL, er, um, topic.

message 32: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (last edited May 23, 2014 06:19PM) (new)

Diana wrote: "Sorry...must remember to stay on SQUIRREL, er, um, topic."

Yeah, 'cause no one ever goes off on a tangent around here.

ROFLMBO .... ☺

message 33: by Luffy (new)

Luffy (monkey-d-luffy) ☯Emily has reviews on Booklikes wrote: "We have other threads that talk about reasons why we lose interest in series."

Can someone hint where such a thread is or provide a link. Thank you.

message 34: by ☯Emily (new)

☯Emily  Ginder | 56459 comments There are interesting discussions in Cozy Mysteries in several places. Many are them in the areas called 'Discussion or What Do You Think?' There is one memorable discussion about pet peeves which I found enjoyable to read. The link is here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/.... There are others, but this is a LONG discussion and should keep you busy for a while.

message 35: by Luffy (new)

Luffy (monkey-d-luffy) Thanks Emily.

message 36: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

Marisa (moretta) | 3823 comments Mod
I've finished A Glimpse of Evil and it has been nice but not special. I think Victoria Laurie is one of the first cozy authors I've read but, now, I don't know, perhaps too "funny".

message 37: by Bob (new)

Bob | 4 comments I just read What's a Ghoul to Do? (Ghost Hunter Mystery, #1) by Victoria Laurie and I found it a fun read. This is what a cozy should be. I just reserved the next few from the local library. Victoria Laurie is one of my new favorites for those times when I don't want to read anything too heavy.

message 38: by Toni (last edited Jun 05, 2014 12:42PM) (new)

Toni (tonilh) I finished Abby Cooper, Psychic Eye (Psychic Eye Mystery, #1) by Victoria Laurie and really enjoyed it - even more so than What's a Ghoul to Do? (Ghost Hunter Mystery, #1) by Victoria Laurie . Light reading, interesting and realistic characters - a good mystery. I look forward to reading more books in this series.

I found it interesting that the author is a professional psychic.

message 39: by Donna (new)

Donna | 27 comments I got both Abby Cooper, Psychic Eye (Psychic Eye Mystery, #1) by Victoria Laurie and What's a Ghoul to Do? (Ghost Hunter Mystery, #1) by Victoria Laurie from the library. After reading the description for the second book, I was 99% certain that I had read it before although I couldn't find it on my books read on Goodreads. So I started reading Abby Cooper. I didn't care for it at first, but then it got so good I didn't want to put it down.Will definitely read the next in the series.

message 40: by Luffy (new)

Luffy (monkey-d-luffy) I'm surprised by this paucity of discussion of the books of the month. Is it over already? I'm at a crossroads here. I don't know if I can operate with a group read agenda with such a relatively meager reward. I have to think.

message 41: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (last edited Jun 05, 2014 10:51AM) (new)

Luffy wrote: "I'm surprised by this paucity of discussion of the books of the month. Is it over already? I'm at a crossroads here. I don't know if I can operate with a group read agenda with such a relatively me..."

No one is forcing you to be here, or to participate. No one is forced or expected to read each month's featured author or to participate in the discussion. All of us have busy lives and read/do what we can. If someone has something they really like/dislike about a particular book, series or author, they will share. If not, it's no big deal. These discussions are for fun. It's about the joy of reading a familiar author or discovering a new-to-you author or series. This isn't school and no one is being graded on participation.

message 42: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments Luffy wrote: "I'm surprised by this paucity of discussion of the books of the month. Is it over already? I'm at a crossroads here. I don't know if I can operate with a group read agenda with such a relatively me..."

What Heather said...............

message 43: by Luffy (new)

Luffy (monkey-d-luffy) I want this group to work for me, and maybe all of the silent majority of 6000+ members only want to play the games on this board. I just gauge that with the books getting chosen for us , with the usual suspects dutifully reading the books without fail(using up all this free time), then posting so half assedly, I think something's wrong. Something does not compute. Just my 0.02c.

message 44: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments Luffy wrote: "I want this group to work for me, and maybe all of the silent majority of 6000+ members only want to play the games on this board. I just gauge that with the books getting chosen for us , with the ..."

Nothing wrong here that any of us can see......maybe it's you?? Don't know. You might be much happier on another board where people don't have anything else to do but read books that might not interest them? Or where they just like to be rude?

message 45: by Luffy (new)

Luffy (monkey-d-luffy) Ah but not one book is sure to be a hit with the reader. So a member has gotten used to reading whatever the BOM is, right. They take hours of their leisure time to read. Then they barely participate. I mean, you, like other here, have busy lives, yet you took time to reply to me. But why can't the regulars show equal amount of acuity to discussing the books?

message 46: by Melodie (last edited Jun 05, 2014 12:29PM) (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments Luffy wrote: "Ah but not one book is sure to be a hit with the reader. So a member has gotten used to reading whatever the BOM is, right. They take hours of their leisure time to read. Then they barely participa..."

Probably because they weren't interested in reading them? I didn't participate with these books because I've read all the Abby Cooper books and don't like the others. Once again, your questioning people's reasons for not reading or reading or even responding is quite simply, RUDE. I would think that's a word you would understand in any language. Or maybe I should look up a $20.00 word that means the same thing since you seem to like big words much better?

message 47: by Luffy (new)

Luffy (monkey-d-luffy) Come on you love books like me, where do you come with pouncing on me using 'big words'(I don't)? I'm here for the same reason as everyone, but I think the group dynamics wasn't the same as in the beginning of the group. And how have I been rude?

message 48: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (last edited Jun 05, 2014 02:59PM) (new)

Luffy wrote: "I'm surprised by this paucity of discussion of the books of the month. Is it over already? I'm at a crossroads here. I don't know if I can operate with a group read agenda with such a relatively me..."

Luffy, please read our group rules.
Your conduct is violating them.
Private warning message (PM) sent.

message 49: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

Luffy wrote: "Ah but not one book is sure to be a hit with the reader. So a member has gotten used to reading whatever the BOM is, right. They take hours of their leisure time to read. Then they barely participa..."

You obviously haven't been paying much attention to the group, or read our group rules. We have a monthly featured author, not a book of the month. I do list the first in the series on the main page, but you are not obligated to read it. If you don't like our group, perhaps you'd be more comfortable somewhere else. We aren't going to change the entire group to suit one person.

message 50: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 124 comments I don't know why people are entering into a discussion with Luffy. Just treat her, and any other rude people, the way they deserve - IGNORE - and they might go away.

« previous 1