Nordic Noir discussion

Arnaldur Indriðason
This topic is about Arnaldur Indriðason
Author of the Month > May 2014 - Arnaldur Indriðason

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dee, the Insanity Check (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 652 comments Our author of the month for May is Arnaldur Indriðason.

Arnaldur was born in Reykjavík on 28 January 1961, the son of writer Indriði G. Þorsteinsson. He graduated with a degree in history from the University of Iceland in 1996. He worked as a journalist for the newspaper Morgunblaðið from 1981 to 1982, and later as a freelance writer. From 1986 to 2001, he was a film critic for Morgunblaðið.

His first book, Synir duftsins (Sons of Dust) came out in 1997, the first in the series with Detective Erlendur. Arnaldur is considered one of the most popular writers in Iceland in recent years — topping bestseller lists time and again. In 2004, his books were 7 of the 10 most popular titles borrowed in Reykjavík City Library. In 2006, his Erlendur novel Mýrin was made into a film, known internationally as Jar City, by Icelandic director Baltasar Kormákur.

message 2: by Dee, the Insanity Check (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 652 comments so what is everyone going to read by Arnaldur Indriðason

message 3: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) Next up for me is The Draining Lake by Arnaldur Indriðason

message 4: by Jeremy (new)

Jeremy Megraw (jmegraw) | 29 comments Thank you for choosing this great author. I'm reading Strange Shores now. So good, the best one yet. I love how the two previous installments in the Erlendur series focus, during his absence, on his partners Elinborg and Sigurdur Oli in turn, and then we learn what Erlendur's been up to in Strange Shores. It incorporates all of the themes Arnaldur has developed so far, which aid in understanding Erlendur as a character battling his demons. Really top notch. I look forward to the young Erlendur prequels that are forthcoming. For those interested, I wrote a guide to Arnaldur Indridason’s Detective Erlendur at Crime Fiction Lover, which lists the series' books in order and an overall description of the Erlendur phenomenon.

message 5: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth_greece) | 19 comments I'm going to read Tainted Blood by Arnaldur Indriðason

message 6: by Naomi, the Sanity Check (new)

Naomi (nblackburn) | 932 comments Jeremy wrote: "Thank you for choosing this great author. I'm reading Strange Shores now. So good, the best one yet. I love how the two previous installments in the Erlendur series focus, during hi..."

Link??

message 7: by Naomi, the Sanity Check (new)

Naomi (nblackburn) | 932 comments Voicesis next up for me. I ordered it today.

message 8: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 20 comments Strange Shores. Have read most of his books and loved them all.

message 9: by Jeremy (new)

Jeremy Megraw (jmegraw) | 29 comments Naomi wrote: "Jeremy wrote: "Thank you for choosing this great author. I'm reading Strange Shores now. So good, the best one yet. I love how the two previous installments in the Erlendur series f..."

A Guide to Arnaldur Indridason’s Detective Erlendur | Crime Fiction Lover

message 10: by Andy (new)

Andy Ive read them all :D loved 'em

message 11: by Helen (new)

Helen | 55 comments I have loved them all also. However, my favourites have been Silence of the Grave and The Draining Lake After that Jar City and Voices. Cannot wait for these new ones about the younger Erlendur.

message 12: by Andy (new)

Andy Yes silence of the grave gets 5 stars from me along with Arctic Chill & Hypothermia

message 13: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (pamread) | 4 comments I am waiting for the eBook version of Strange Shores. I have really enjoyed the character of Detective Erlendur. And now, young Erlendur prequels! Looking forward to those, too.

message 14: by Susan (new)

Susan (susanthomas) I'm going to read Outrage, because it's next in line in the series for me.

message 15: by Naomi, the Sanity Check (new)

Naomi (nblackburn) | 932 comments Lovin' Voices. I don't remember the deep sarcasm in the book. Was it in the previous ones? It has been a while since I read this author.

message 16: by Jeremy (new)

Jeremy Megraw (jmegraw) | 29 comments Voices is one of my favorites, so poignant, it still stays with me.

message 17: by Naomi, the Sanity Check (new)

Naomi (nblackburn) | 932 comments Dang, Jeremy, I think I am reading it wrong because it is cracking me up...especially with how "Santa" died and Erlendur's response. Also, the hotel scene with him and his daughter when the front desk guy thought she was a prostitute. I must need to get further in.

message 18: by Jeremy (new)

Jeremy Megraw (jmegraw) | 29 comments lol we'll talk when you finish...

message 19: by Naomi, the Sanity Check (new)

Naomi (nblackburn) | 932 comments Oh ok!!

message 20: by Naomi, the Sanity Check (new)

Naomi (nblackburn) | 932 comments Jeremy wrote: "lol we'll talk when you finish..."

Am I going to be sad cuz I am worried about the daughter??

message 21: by Naomi, the Sanity Check (new)

Naomi (nblackburn) | 932 comments Jeremy wrote: "lol we'll talk when you finish..."

I concur...I still have 90 pages left to go, but very, very sad.

message 22: by Jan (new)

Jan Wallcraft | 21 comments It's definitely a good read, only halfway through but I am gripped. Claustrophobic atmosphere of the hotel, plus remembered scenes of snow and ice and a lot about the character of Icelandic people and their culture.

message 23: by Jan (new)

Jan Wallcraft | 21 comments Indridason is one of the top class of Nordic Noir writers, along with Sjowall-Wahloo, Mankell, and another favourite of mine Helene Tursten.

message 24: by Tammy (new)

Tammy (anyone12345) Voices is next!

message 25: by Jan (new)

Jan Wallcraft | 21 comments just finished Voices, very enjoyable, like that it was confined to a small space, this works well sometimes. I like the slow development of Erlendur's character and relationships which are impacted by the sad stories he has to deal with in his work.

message 26: by Helen (new)

Helen | 15 comments love this author. Reading strange shores this month.

message 27: by Naomi, the Sanity Check (new)

Naomi (nblackburn) | 932 comments Voices was actually very sad to me. I can't say why because I would be heading into spoilerland.