Young Writers discussion

Realistic Fiction > The Absence Of

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Elliott Alicia  | 22636 comments Mod
Yay, I'm writing a book about Will from The Weight of All Things and it's set about four years in the future when Will is 23 years old and surprisingly enough there is not much of a plot.

I just have the first paragraph right now, but I am posting it here anyways.

If I were the kind of person who makes lists of things I hate, rainbows would be thing number one. The list would also include wine coolers and people who think Napoleon was French. I can avoid drinks with low alcohol content and I’m majoring in History. But my life choices have somehow led to my worst nightmare: Wednesday evenings filled with rainbows. Rainbow murals on the walls. Rainbow posters advertising special events. Rainbows on t-shirts with witty slogans underneath. Rainbow buttons, rainbow stickers, rainbow patches. Rainbow hair. It seems so unnecessary to me. Everyone gets it. Rainbows are happy and unique and gay. Everyone here is happy and unique and gay. And that’s great, I’m genuinely glad for every happy gay person that exists in the world. I just wish our symbol could be something a little less terrible.

message 2: by Isaac (new)

Isaac | 8014 comments IF YOU LISTEN CLOSELY YOU CAN HEAR ME SCREAMING

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I feel like this one paragraph already made me feel the entire spectrum of human emotion so reading more of the story is gonna be a blast.

message 4: by Colby (new)

Colby (colbz) | 3211 comments *dies*

message 5: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Brigid ✩ | 11973 comments Mod
OMG YAY AHH SO GOOD

I FINALLY finished the first chapter of this! So here it is.

https://www.goodreads.com/story/show/...

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I actually gasped when I saw that this had been updated! Brb reading all of it.

Sam~~ we cannot see the moon, and yet the waves still rise~~ | 3061 comments yes my world is now complete this is good

message 10: by Colby (new)

Colby (colbz) | 3211 comments *SCREAMING AND RUNNING IN CIRCLES* I'm gonna go read it now!!!

message 11: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

*GASP*

message 13: by Elliott Alicia (last edited Jun 29, 2014 02:35PM) (new)

Chapter Three!

It's really short. :P But yes.

message 15: by Sydney (new)

Sydney (sydeli) | 145 comments So basically I never go to the updates tab on goodreads unless I can't sleep, not sure why, but I do. Today I did, found The Absence of, and realized I needed to read The Weight of All Things first. It's 2:23 in the morning. And this story is fantastic.

Aaah, thank you so much for all of your comments and for reading my entire story and then what I have of this story. It made my day, honestly. You are all way too nice to me and my writing. (But for real, if you ever have an criticism hit me up with it. I love to be told the things I'm doing wrong so I can fix them later.)

Also, in response to the comment about 303: I did not do that intentionally but if that's accurate, that is so amazing and it makes me really happy. (And if it's not, in editing, I might change it so it is accurate, haha. Because I think that's really cool.)

message 17: by Sydney (new)

Sydney (sydeli) | 145 comments Apparently it's "three and three hundred, three and three thousand" which I think is 303 and 3003, so it would be accurate unless I am misinterpreting, which is always possible.

Finally wrote a new chapter! After like months and months.

message 19: by Elliott Alicia (last edited Jan 04, 2015 01:25AM) (new)

Chapter Six!

I'm not even sure if anything happens in this chapter. Will and Ella are kinda cute. Will has no life during the day. Queer Cards Against Humanity is a thing.

JAMIE IN CHAPTER SEVEN THOUGH DUN DUN DUN.

Sam~~ we cannot see the moon, and yet the waves still rise~~ | 3061 comments i should be doing work but new chapter, decisions are hard

message 22: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

YAY

message 23: by Tejiri (new)

Tejiri Oru | 1 comments A book I will love to read

Sam~~ we cannot see the moon, and yet the waves still rise~~ | 3061 comments DANG IT I SAW I HAD A NOTIFICATION FROM THIS AND THOUGHT ALICIA HAD WRITTEN ANOTHER CHAPTER.

message 25: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Sam~~ we cannot see the moon, and yet the waves still rise~~ wrote: "DANG IT I SAW I HAD A NOTIFICATION FROM THIS AND THOUGHT ALICIA HAD WRITTEN ANOTHER CHAPTER."

SAME

message 26: by Isaac (new)

Isaac | 8014 comments Let's just keep posting posts so other people will click on this and be sad

message 27: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Yes, excellent. >:)

Aaah, sorry. I'm actually in the middle of revamping this and starting from scratch because I kind of lost where I wanted to go with it. So any posts on this thread are probably false hope. D:

message 29: by Isaac (new)

Isaac | 8014 comments Keep posting temporarily to make all of us angry that there's no new chapter

message 30: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Haha it's okay, take your time
*waits patiently*