The Book Was Better discussion

GENERAL > One Sentence!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 467 (467 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

message 1: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

Dana Burkey (danaburkey) | 1690 comments Mod
Alright guys, I got this idea from another group, and LOVED IT!! Give us one line from a book you loved, or the book you are reading right now. Please give us the book it is from, but other than that, try to let the quote speak for itself! It can be a favorite line, pivotal moments, or even try opening the book to a random page and picking the first thing you read! ;)

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I lost his friendship before I ever had it. - Burning Blue

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) | 458 comments “Oh, Claire, ye do break my heart wi’ loving you.” - Dragonfly in Amber.

message 4: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

"I wouldn't actually die, but if I tried to break the rules they'd take away everything I value." Matched (Matched, #1) by Ally Condie

message 5: by Wayne (new)

Wayne | 5 comments "For the first time, he heard something that he knew to be music. He heard people singing." -The Giver by Lois Lowry

message 6: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

"Special Forces had a lot of four letter words in their vocabulary, but "fear" wasn't one of them." All You Need is Kill.

message 7: by Louisa (new)

Louisa Knight | 156 comments "To love is to destroy" ~ the mortal instruments

message 8: by Aimee (new)

Aimee | 29 comments "Until I feared I would lose it, I never loved to read. One does not love breathing"
- To Kill A Mockingbird

message 9: by Jordan (new)

Jordan | 6 comments "In his blue gardens men and girls came and went like moths among the whisperings and the champagne and the stars."
- F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

message 10: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca  Campbell (roaringdarkness) | 2 comments "I have done bad things i can't take back, and they are part of who i am."
-Veronica Roth, Insurgent

message 11: by Katie (new)

Katie | 9 comments "As you Wish"
The Princess Bride  by William Goldman

message 12: by Sam (new)

Sam | 606 comments “It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.” Jane Austin, Pride and Prejudice.

message 13: by Kyara (new)

Kyara | 158 comments “I promise, I will not let you die without being kissed.” -Marissa Meyer, Cress.

message 14: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

Oh my goodness!! I cannot wait to read Cress!!!!!

message 15: by Kyara (new)

Kyara | 158 comments Cress was by far my favourite book in the series! Oh my gosh I hope you love it as much as I did!!

message 16: by Kyara (new)

Kyara | 158 comments “If I ever see you again, you traitorous bastard, I'll take out the other fucking eye!”
― Pittacus Lore, The Fall of Five

This describes my exact feelings whilst reading this book.

message 17: by Louisa (new)

Louisa Knight | 156 comments Love that quote!!

message 18: by Landen (new)

Landen | 73 comments "Yer' a wizard Harry!"- Hagrid(Harry Potter)

message 19: by Kyara (new)

Kyara | 158 comments Hahaha, every time I read that I hear Hagrid!

message 20: by Sam (new)

Sam | 606 comments I love reading out loud Hagrid's lines :D giving it the inflection makes them awesome haha

message 21: by Kyara (new)

Kyara | 158 comments Same, although no matter how hard I try I never seem to sound anything like him! Hahah

message 22: by Landen (new)

Landen | 73 comments Well, all you have to do is imagine :D

message 23: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Knox | 1 comments "Y'll smoke it enjoy it, I smoke to die"
- Looking for Alaska by John Green

message 24: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

"Yes we might die in the endeavor, heck we might not even succeed, but that does not remove the choice" Guardians of Magessa

message 25: by Shelly (new)

Shelly B. | 3 comments People have an annoying habit of remembering things they shouldn't.
Eragon by Christopher Paolini

message 26: by Landen (new)

Landen | 73 comments I love that one!

message 27: by Marika (new)

Marika | 187 comments "I've begun to realize that you can listen to silence and learn from it. It has a quality and a dimension all its own." - Chaim Potok - The Chosen

message 28: by Marika (new)

Marika | 187 comments "I should have been more kind. That is something a person will never regret. You will never say to yourself when you are old, Ah, I wish I was not good to that person. You will never think that." Khaled Hosseini - And the Mountains Echoed

message 29: by Marika (new)

Marika | 187 comments "It's not how we fall. It's how we get back up again." Patrick Ness - Monsters of Men

message 30: by Marika (new)

Marika | 187 comments "In this world of numbness and information overload, the ability to feel, my boy, is a rare gift indeed." Patrick Ness - The Ask and the Answer

message 31: by AndiG (last edited Jul 03, 2014 08:53AM) (new)

AndiG  (andigleeson) | 3 comments "Wendy: Why are you staring at me?
Finn: Because You're right in front of me"
- Amanda Hocking, Switched.

message 32: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

Man, this thread is fast becoming my favorite!! So many mew books I want yo read now! Haha

message 33: by Megan (new)

Megan | 1 comments "In the future Clarissa , it might be wise to mention that you already have a man in your bed, to avoid such tedious situations." - The City Of Bones

message 34: by Camryn (new)

Camryn (camrynsturgeon) "We’re having another moment, aren’t we?”

“If by a moment, you mean me not wanting to strangle you for the first time since we met, then I guess we are."
-Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles)

message 35: by Dawn Marie (new)

Dawn Marie | 9 comments "I woke up with a hangover and roof tar on my feet..." Like a Hole in the Head, Jen Banbury. Best opening line of a book, pretty much ever.

message 36: by Zuleymie (new)

Zuleymie Rivera | 20 comments "When someone won't let you in, eventually you stop knocking" - Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children, Ransom Riggs

message 37: by Lawrence (new)

Lawrence Ambrose (ambrose2014) | 31 comments "It's like a beautiful doorway that invites you to step
through. Once you're inside, the door doesn't matter so much anymore."

Thrassis on physical attractiveness, MOIRA: FLIGHT FROM AKRASIA

message 38: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Marie | 31 comments "If you tell a beautiful woman that she is beautiful, what have you given her? It's no more than a fact and it has cost you nothing. But if you tell an ugly woman that she is beautiful, you offer her the great homage of corrupting the concept of beauty. To love a woman for her virtues is meaningless. She's earned it, it's a payment, not a gift. But to love her for her vices is a real gift, unearned and undeserved. To love her for her vices is to defile all virtue for her sake - and that is a real tribute of love, because you sacrifice your conscience, your reason, your integrity and your invaluable self-esteem."

-Atlas Shrugged

message 39: by Lawrence (new)

Lawrence Ambrose (ambrose2014) | 31 comments Heh - someone might actually take that as a serious expression of Rand's views (and think it profound!). Perhaps it would be a good idea to clarify - that's a quote of a Randian villain/character, Lillian Rearden. (For a moment I thought it was Ellsworth Toohey!;-)

message 40: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Marie | 31 comments I never liked Lillian, but I liked the quote just as itself.

Sara the Librarian (museoffire) “You said 'God is cruel' the way a person who's lived his whole life on Tahiti might say 'Snow is cold'. You knew, but you didn't understand." He stepped close to David and put his palms on the boy's cold cheeks. "Do you know how cruel your God can be, David. How fantastically cruel? God is cruel. Sometimes he makes you live."
― Stephen King, Desperation

message 42: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Marie | 31 comments Oh...I like it.

Sara the Librarian (museoffire) Yeah it's by favorite for years. King is wildly under appreciated as a wordsmith.

message 44: by Lawrence (new)

Lawrence Ambrose (ambrose2014) | 31 comments “The road to hell is paved with adverbs.”
― Stephen King, On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft

Wonderfully put, I thought. ;)

Sara the Librarian (museoffire) Touché sir, touché.

message 46: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Marie | 31 comments “Be you writer or reader, it is very pleasant to run away in a book.”

-My Side of the Mountain

message 47: by Nayana (new)

message 48: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Marie | 31 comments “To learn to read is to light a fire; every syllable that is spelled out is a spark.”

― Victor Hugo

message 49: by Nayana (new)

Nayana (nynaa03) | 3 comments “And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.”

-The Alchemist

message 50: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Marie | 31 comments “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.”

― Helen Keller

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10