BOOK-A-HOLICS discussion

Book Chat > Paperback vs Mass Market Paperback

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christina (last edited Jul 24, 2009 12:06AM) (new)

Christina | 26 comments I wanted to order Rogue Warrior by Richard Marcinko and noted that there are four editions. One is listed as "paperback" and one as "mass market paperback" for the same book? What is the difference? The book was published in 1993. Is it going to have really teeny-tiny print?

message 2: by Noel (new)

Noel (istop4books) | 1 comments The mass market paperback is the smallest size; years ago it was the only size that a paperback came in; now it seems to be reserved to books like mysteries and thrillers, romance and sci-fi. I have a problem with them because of the font size, so I prefer to open the book and look at it before buying it. If the font is too small, no matter how much I like the book, I can't read it without straining my eyes!!

message 3: by Wes, Moderator (new)

Wes (pricerightbooks) | 473 comments Mod
Christina wrote: "I wanted to order Rogue Warrior by Richard Marcinko and noted that there are four editions. One is listed as "paperback" and one as "mass market paperback" for the same book? What is the differenc..."

The Mass Market Paperback is the standard in paperback design 6 3/4" x 4 1/4" normally $7.99 or less

The newer taller paperbacks which have started to come out after the release of the hardcover but are taller 7 1/2" x 4 1/8" than a mass market

The Mass Market Paperback is the standard in paperback design 6 3/4" x 4 1/4" normally $7.99 or less. They come out after a Hardcover is released.

Then there is the odd size trade paperback which has a wide variety of sizes but are normally taller and wider than both the other editions.

I hope this helps

message 4: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 7 comments In my experience, the mass markets tend to yellow quit a bit faster than the regular paperbacks. I'm sure its the quality of papers. Mass market covers are not very intriguing to me. I love covers.

message 5: by Christina (new)

Christina | 26 comments Amanda wrote: "Mass market covers are not very intriguing to me. I love covers."

I always order hardbound, but, in this case, it is not available any longer. :-(

message 6: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 42 comments Wes wrote: "Christina wrote: "I wanted to order Rogue Warrior by Richard Marcinko and noted that there are four editions. One is listed as "paperback" and one as "mass market paperback" for the same book? Wha..."

I was wondering what the difference between them was, now I know, awesome :-)

message 7: by Denise (new)

Denise I just noticed this new paper back size(The newer taller paperbacks which have started to come out after the release of the hardcover but are taller 7 1/2" x 4 1/8" than a mass market) and I don't like it. Why can't publishers stay with uniform sizes. It looks better on the bookshelf.

message 8: by Wes, Moderator (new)

Wes (pricerightbooks) | 473 comments Mod
Denise wrote: "I just noticed this new paper back size(The newer taller paperbacks which have started to come out after the release of the hardcover but are taller 7 1/2" x 4 1/8" than a mass market) and I don't ..."

I think they are trying to get all the money they can out of these books since they retail for 2.00 more than the mass market paperbacks. But the massmarket is soon to come after that edition you just have to wait for it... :)