Addicted to YA discussion

The Giver (The Giver, #1)
This topic is about The Giver
Series > The Giver

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erika, Dream Thief (last edited May 03, 2014 11:48AM) (new)

Erika (livingforthebooks) | 5112 comments Mod
What did you think of it? Favorite or least favorite characters? Favorite or least favorite part? Will you read the next one?

message 2: by Chelsea (new) - added it

Chelsea (coutlaw) I also ADORE The Giver but have, like, zero interest in reading the next, what, three books? Weird. But yes. The Giver is in my top five faves of all time, mostly because I love the way it makes us think about the good and the balance of life and what we'd give up for peace :D

Jenni Lind (jennilind) Chelsea wrote: "I also ADORE The Giver but have, like, zero interest in reading the next, what, three books? Weird. But yes. The Giver is in my top five faves of all time, mostly because I love the way it makes us..."

I fully agree with this. I read it forever ago and tend to reread The Giver every few years. I've always just loved the story and it's what got my originally into my love of dystopian novels.
I haven't read the other books in this series and I'm not sure if I ever will. I loved The Giver too much to add anything onto it.

Celia (cshoh) | 4 comments Jenni wrote: "Chelsea wrote: "I also ADORE The Giver but have, like, zero interest in reading the next, what, three books? Weird. But yes. The Giver is in my top five faves of all time, mostly because I love the..."

True but as far as I remember (it has been a while since i've read all the books) all the books in the series are about different people - just in the same world.. i think some of the characters from The Giver are mentioned, but are extremely minor characters (i think!) but I definitely agree- The Giver will always be the best :D

Clarissa (clarisandrea) | 2 comments I've read The Giver when I was in 5th grade and it struck me since then. The part when the past giver gives Jonas what he's missing, it's a whole new light. it feels clear for once. I now realize that I've read a dystopian book at such a young age. I personally recommend reading the other books (Gathering Blue, Messenger) because only then can you form a whole picture of what's happening in their society.

Chris W | 75 comments The Giver was an interesting book, but I was left wanting more after I finished reading it. Yeah, I read it a long time ago for school.

And about the quartet, I think they're all stand alone books right?

message 7: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy I really loved the whole series. However, with the fourth book (Son) the story came full circle and ruined a little bit of the mystery and imagination for me. I am not one to leave a book unread and was compelled to finish the series. For anyone who wants to know "the rest of the story" I would recomend the series.

message 8: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Christian wrote: "The Giver was an interesting book, but I was left wanting more after I finished reading it. Yeah, I read it a long time ago for school.

And about the quartet, I think they're all stand alone book..."

Yes they are but I would read them in order (especially if you were lwft wanting more...)

Claudia Roe | 1 comments I read The Giver as a part of an English project! It was very well written and got me thinking about a lot of things! I'm hoping to read the rest of the series soon!

Connie (faeriewings) | 14 comments I absolutely love The Giver, I've probably read it three or four times so far, and I definitely plan to reread more! My favorite character is, well, the Giver (although I found all of the characters to be relatively likable). And unfortunately, I have not yet read the rest of the quartet, though I do plan to!

Sonia Vaca | 1 comments I just read this book last week! I loved every minute of it except for the ending. I wanted to know more at the moment i finished it! When i looked up the second book, I saw it was about someone who isn't Jonas or Gabriel. Don't know if I want to read it now.

message 12: by Cloe (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cloe | 8 comments I read The Giver for English class, and at first I was quite sceptical about it. It seemed boring and dull, but once I started reading it, I was completely immersed! It's a great book, really makes you think! I think my favourite character was actually Rosemary, although we don't know too much about her! But I'm not too sure if I want to continue the series...

message 13: by RosiePosie (last edited May 10, 2014 06:57PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

RosiePosie ~/TiEd uP In KNoTs\~ (s-c-a-t-t-e-r-me) | 258 comments I agree!! I had to read it for English and I though it was really good. We had to write an extra chapter which was fun and I didn't like the openness of the ending anyway, so it was a really cool assignment… I saw the movie actors and the cast is so weird...

Rebecca (slytherinlibrary) | 76 comments I love The Giver! My 6th grade Reading teacher had my class read it. I think it's amazing, honestly one of the best books I've ever read. In sixth grade, I hated to read, but when I read this book, I loved it. It's the book that allowed me to love reading, and Dystopian novels. I reread it every few months since then, probably around 4 times in the past two years. My favorite character is definetly Jonas (He was my first fictional crush lol). My least favorite character is Jonas's "mom" (I don't know why, I just can't stand her). My favorite part was when he sees Fiona's hair change or when he gives Gabe some memories. My least favorite part is when he asks his "parents" if they love him, and they pretty much say no (even if they don't know better) and also when he watches the tape of his dad kill the new child. I haven't decided yet if I will read the others. Opinions anyone?

message 15: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Sonia wrote: "I just read this book last week! I loved every minute of it except for the ending. I wanted to know more at the moment i finished it! When i looked up the second book, I saw it was about someone wh..."

Oh then you have to read the rest of them! It takes you through time and around a corner but the end of the fourth book is really gratifying. I do hope you read them all...

Nadine | 7 comments I only started reading this book today and already have finished it! I couldn't read it fast enough! The ending just left me wanting to read more! I now have to be patient until I can get my hands on the second book. I heard about these books a while back but just never got around to reading them. Personally I thought it was well worth the wait and can't wait to read all of them!

Abigail | 6 comments I'd read this book for school years ago, and just finished reading it again. I think I appreciated it more this time around. I had forgotten several of the important scenes, including the one when Jonas sees the video of his father killing the infant - chilling. The ending still confused me; I didn't know if Jonas and Gabe had actually died or if they really had found a different kind of community Elsewhere - one that could experience love. Or maybe the reader is supposed to decide. I haven't read the other three books yet, but I intend to.

Steven Bliss | 1 comments I read this book a long time ago but re-read it last night. It's a quick, interesting read. To me there were definite warnings about trying to make the world a perfect place to live with tons of rules/regulations. While it seems good on the surface, there is a lot missing in a purely static environment.

My favorite part of the story was probably Jonas and the Giver's idea to give memories back to the rest of society. Even though the plan didn't happen successfully (as far as the reader knows); I thought was a brave act.

My favorite character was Jonas. I didn't think the rest of the characters were fleshed out a whole lot - even the Giver.

Least favorite would probably be the dad. Even though in his own mind he was just "releasing" babies, the idea of injecting them in the forehead with a lethal injection is terrible.

Sammy (SammyHope) | 608 comments They're making a movie adaption of this book but it's just based on The Giver so there will be a lot of changes.

Rachel I'm about 50 pages into the book, and it is a page turner. I can see how many dystopian novels of today used this book as a template. I haven't seen the trailer yet for the movie. I am waiting to see it until after I finish reading the book.

I will for sure read the other novels in the series.

One thing that I heard about the movie was Taylor Swift was casted in it...uh no bueno. Anyone remember her acting in Valentine's Day?!?

message 21: by Leanne (last edited May 31, 2014 08:25AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leanne (lx2000) ^^I'm a huge fan of Taylor Swift, but I agree with you. Plus, it's really obvious she's wearing a wig. Honestly, the movie doesn't look that promising.

The Giver is one of my all time favourite books! I've never read a dystopian book quite like it, and I mean that in a good way. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten around to read the rest of the series. The library has the third book, but not the second!

Sammy (SammyHope) | 608 comments The second book, Gathering Blue, honestly wasn't as good as the first one. It was just kinda boring.

Estefania Martinez (estefania_maniacbookworms099) My favorite character must be Jonas and the Giver, and I loved the scene where Jonas takes Gabriel and haves must all of the memories is beautiful and I'll probably reading the next 2

message 24: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 3 comments Picked it up one day to procrastinate from doing homework. I finished to book and started my essay that was due the next day at 12:00 at night. (VERY GRUMPY NEXT DAY ;)

William (throneoffandoms) | 111 comments I read the first two books in the quartet. I loved the Giver, and Gathering Blue was okay. I read The Giver for school in 6th grade and i loved it.

Rachel I finally had time to read this book.

Here is my review: 5 out of 5 stars.

One of the original dystopian novels, and it is incredible. Loved the writing and the imagery in the book. It is a page turner. The Giver is one not to miss!

Now, I just need to watch the trailer of the movie.

message 27: by Dee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee | 17 comments I loved this book so much!! I'm so excited for the movie adaptation that comes out August 15th.

Melissa (aglionby) | 488 comments Dee wrote: "I loved this book so much!! I'm so excited for the movie adaptation that comes out August 15th."

The movie trailer looks nothing like how I imagined it would. The Giver looks like a drunk, Jonas doesn't look anywhere near the age of 12/13. It's a disappointing trailer for me. I don't know if I'll watch the movie.

Morgan (morgan_alex) | 213 comments I love this book!!! I read for school. My favorite character is Jonas, Gabrielle, the Giver. My less favorite character has a lot, I don't know why. My favorite part is when Jonas started to get the memories. My least favorite is when there was no ending to the book. I would read the next book, but I already read Son, I had to read it for school, so I read it. Son is like continuing The Giver, and it has the ending.

celine ☾ | 4 comments I didn't read any of the next books. I think The Giver had a good ending. I mean, it was really beautiful. So Jonas took the little boy, and they found nature and color but then froze to death? Sorry, I need some clarification.

Morgan (morgan_alex) | 213 comments Jonas and Gabe didn't die, it does not have an ending, my teacher told me you have to imagine it yourself.

Anastasiya (staceyprig) I loved The Giver. I also loved the last book Son :)

message 33: by Evah (new) - rated it 2 stars

Evah | 72 comments I hated this book soooo much it was awful!

Ralph Ambrose (rmambrose) | 7 comments I liked the book. The ending didn't bother me so much, but I was warned what kind of ending it was, which may have helped. I wouldn't call it "one of the original dystopias." it wasn't even published until 3 years after I graduated HS. We read Orwell & Huxley's dystopias. Brave New World was written before my dad was born, and 1984 was written when he was in HS. I honestly liked those more than The Giver. Things we read at that age tend to stay with us because the ideas are new. So I can see how The Giver can be great at that age.

Jorbegozo | 6 comments At first I also thought Jonas and Gabriel died, but that is not how it goes! The ending is not for you to imagine, it's told in the next books. True that the sequels have different main characters, but Jonas and Gabriel's story continues. I really recommend the series.

Krista | 149 comments I finally read this book and really liked it. We didn't read it in school, but I thought because a lot of school read it it would be boring growing up. lol! Oh well I liked it and plan on reading the second one soon.

message 37: by Kyra (last edited Sep 15, 2014 04:44PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kyra Schamber I personally liked the book very much. It doesnt quite reach the top spot for my favorite book, but it is definitely in the top ten. I think it is a wonderful portrayal of a dystopian world that has a different feel than ones like the Hunger Games and Divergent, because it was written in a different time. I feel as if the most recent ones seem to be following the same pattern and the giver separates itself in a good way. And you really dont have to read the series in order. I read Gathering Blue (the second book) first, not even realizing it was part of a series and couldnt tell that there was a first book until after I read the giver

Sofia (sofibooklioness21) | 341 comments I absolutely loved it!

Dominique (dominiquebookliver) | 237 comments This book is the best book that I have ever read. Its a perfect book to read and reread over and over again because you discover something new every time. I have probably read the Giver 12 times and surprisingly I really liked the movie even with all of the differences that they made.

Jorbegozo | 6 comments Really?? I haven't watched the movie yet and I guess I'm a bit scared to find out what they did to the story. I love the Giver but I wasn't expecting a film about it.

Dominique (dominiquebookliver) | 237 comments I was really surprised too. but after watching it I completely understand all of the changes that they have made for one thing (this really bugged me) they are more like 18 instead of 12 and they have made things more modern. trying to make it futuristic. but I really enjoyed it.

Tawanna I enjoyed the movie better than the book. The movie actually provided some sort of closure/ending.

Jorbegozo | 6 comments The book does as well, it's a SERIES so if you want the ending you gotta read it all, like it happens with most series anyways.

message 44: by Kiya (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kiya | 25 comments I watched the movie last night, but I read the book last year. The movie was really bleak, so I think I liked the book WAY better.