Children's Books discussion

Moon Over Manifest
This topic is about Moon Over Manifest
Newbery Archive > 2011 Newbery Winner - May 2014 - Moon over Manifest

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish (cherylllr) | 6441 comments Mod
Many members of this group have read this book already, but in the interest of getting opinions from new members, and in keeping coherent organization of all Newbery titles, here's this discussion.

Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish (cherylllr) | 6441 comments Mod
Taking off my moderator cap for a moment, I just have to admit that I didn't much care for this the first time I read it. If anyone wants to plump for it, or for any other reason wants me to read it again, I'll do so, though - just ask.

Tricia Douglas (teachgiftedkids) | 312 comments I haven't read this book - must have been asleep when it came up before - so will definitely try my best to put this on my nightstand today before I forget. I noticed on the list of readings for the future months, there are some books we have already read i.e. Deadend in Norvelt and another one I can't remember right now. Like you said though, other members might be new and haven't had the chance to read them so we could keep them on the list.

message 4: by Manybooks (new) - added it

Manybooks | 7674 comments Mod
Tricia wrote: "I haven't read this book - must have been asleep when it came up before - so will definitely try my best to put this on my nightstand today before I forget. I noticed on the list of readings for t..."

But also, because all of the previous discussions and comments on the books already read were removed during the changeover, it might be good to reread and rediscuss previously read novels.

Yes, Tricia, I do hope you get a chance to read this, and comment here. And as always, Gundula & everybody, please share anything you remember from the erased discussions.

I seem to recall most of us who read this previously liked it at least a little bit. I think I had the most negative opinion, and so here's a copy of my review:

(view spoiler)

But that's just my opinion. The Newbery judges obviously loved it, and so did plenty other people. So, read it yourself, everyone! ;)

Tricia Douglas (teachgiftedkids) | 312 comments I was amazed with the story of Moon Over Manifest. There was so much that grabbed me. I loved the historical aspect and the sequencing between 1936 and 1918. As an adult I probably found the story more interesting than someone in their teens or younger - maybe. I don't think I would have appreciated the story had I read it as a child. As an adult I was able to understand the time period being that my life is a little closer to the 1936 section. I thought the characters were strong, especially the diviner Miss Sadie. She was truly connected to Manifest and talked and walked its history. There was a quote in the book that struck me as one that really good books should: As Abilene said, "The story was about real people who had lived and loved. And in some way I had been allowed into their world. And they had welcomed me." This story pulled me in and made me part of the story and the history of the time. This is a Newbery book that I will remember for a very long time. Maybe I'm a little prejudiced because my mother's family lived in a little town in Kansas called Oldsburg. I felt just as at home in Manifest as I did the summers that I lived with my grandparents on their stock farm in Oldsburg. Five star story and author.

Oh I'm so glad you enjoyed it. You make it sound good - like maybe I wasn't in the right frame of mind when I read it, and missed things, or something. Thank you!

message 8: by Manybooks (last edited May 22, 2014 04:30AM) (new) - added it

Cheryl in CC NV wrote: "Oh I'm so glad you enjoyed it. You make it sound good - like maybe I wasn't in the right frame of mind when I read it, and missed things, or something. Thank you!"

That's a main reason I sometimes reread books by authors I usually like (or subjects that usually thrill me); I do tend to be a moody reader at times. However, for me that works with high two star and three star books, if I've given a book one star, it usually means that I absolutely despised it and will very likely continue to do so.

Good point, tx Gundula. However, in this case I don't know the author (it's a debut, iirc), and am not interested in the subject. I'll be interested in your reaction if you get around to reading it.

message 10: by Manybooks (last edited May 25, 2014 04:39PM) (new) - added it

Cheryl in CC NV wrote: "Good point, tx Gundula. However, in this case I don't know the author (it's a debut, iirc), and am not interested in the subject. I'll be interested in your reaction if you get around to reading it."

I had the book out from the library a few months ago and never got around to reading it. It does seem that there are way too many Depression era books being published and I'm currently reading two Depression era novels that I am really enjoying, Seven Stories Up and What the Moon Said (I especially like this one), so it might be a while before I get to Moon Over Manifest.

Are those two books ok for kids to read? Maybe this Newbery winner is truly redundant... just musing....

message 12: by Manybooks (new) - added it

Cheryl in CC NV wrote: "Are those two books ok for kids to read? Maybe this Newbery winner is truly redundant... just musing...."

They are considered children's books (middle grade) and really wonderful so far (and leave much room for discussion). Probably more suitable for girls than for boys ...

Jasmine | 160 comments I read this the first time around, it took me forever - always an indicator of not a fit - and I really didn't see what was so special about it to make it a Newbery winner. I really didn't connect with the protagonist and the back story I found sad but predictable. Just not the one for me.