Brain to Books Cyber Convention (FAIRGROUNDS) discussion

2016 Archives > Ashley Marie Nestler - First Book Published at Age 18

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by A.M. (last edited Apr 09, 2016 07:05PM) (new)

A.M. Nestler MSW (amnestler) | 110 comments Hello Everyone!
My name is Ashley Marie Nestler (A. M. Nestler) and I am an indie author who writes mainly young adult fiction in the forms of science fiction, dystopian, fantasy, historical fiction and contemporary. I write just about anything and everything because my mind goes all over the place when creating stories - but the moral of this rant is that I am a writer and I hope to change the lives of others by using my words.

My first novel was published May 2013 when I was a senior in high school and 18 years old. I had been contemplating the novel ever since I had been thirteen and I was able to finish it that year for NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month). This year I am rewriting both books that I have out and will be releasing updated versions. Since I am in my twenties now I have looked back on my novels and realized many changes in them that I want to make. However, the current editions of the novels are still available on Amazon, and I would greatly appreciate your feedback. My first novel is a young adult dystopian novel and the synopsis is as follows:
description
© Copyright: A. M. Nestler

Beautiful Nightmare: Some Dreams Become Your Reality

Long ago the world suffered a terrible war, leaving behind only a select few hundred people. Believing that strong emotions fueled the war, those who survived created a town named Lunamoon, where each new human would be altered to be unable to feel emotion. They decide to choose only one man in each generation to be named the dream maker and he would create dreams for everyone to tell them what their jobs and life outcomes would be. The dream maker is able to live in solitude for the duration of his life, but the moment that the current dream maker is born, everything changes. Shawneleigh, a premature child who was born with narcolepsy on the same day as the dream maker, lives on her own in the hospital. Through her sporadic sleeping spells and the connection they made at birth, she and the dream maker are able to connect through her dreams. They become friends and then fall in love. Beautiful Nightmare is a tale of love and faith, showing how we can stand up for ourselves, while standing against those who want others to fail. For through it all, in the end, there is love. First-time author Ashley Marie Nestler grew up in Westminster, Colorado. "I have lived right by the mountains all of my life and the beauty really inspired me with this novel." Publisher's website: http://sbpra.com/AshleyMarieNestler

My second novel is a young adult fantasy historical novel:

description

Into The Fog: Death is Just the Beginning

"A murder, a choice, and an eternal destiny. Welcome to the untold story of sixteenth century England.

Darielle couldn't be happier and more in love with her fiancé, Prince Tarum, until the eve of their wedding announcement when Tarum is murdered. Following the tragedy, Darielle is thrown into a life filled with despair as strangers enter the Tower and change her way of life. However, she begins to find herself drawn to Harlisisle, the new guard for Queen Estelle. Something about him makes her feel as though she has known him before. This attraction ends up unraveling past events in her life that she had long forgotten, and she soon discovers the true circumstances surrounding Tarum’s murder. The truth makes her question the love that she once had for people that she thought she knew.

'Into The Fog' is a roller coaster ride of historical romance and fantasy elements that will keep you on the edge of your seat and asking only one question:

'What if death isn't an ending, but a beginning?'"

WANT TO WIN A COPY OF INTO THE FOG?

In celebration of the Brain to Books convention I am giving away a paperback copy of the first edition of my novel "Into The Fog"! This novel is set to release in a new edition in the coming months, but I am giving away the current copy as a collectible item. It will be signed by me and come with a personal letter describing all of the ideas and effort that went into it, as well as why it is such a precious story to me.

TO ENTER:
Like Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/Ashley-Nestl...
Follow My Blog: https://peachykeenbookreviews.wordpre...
THEN, comment that you have done so, below. Specify which giveaway you are entering as well so I know which giveaway to enter you into! You can enter both giveaways.
(Giveaway for time turner necklace information below)

Aside from being an author, I am a book reviewer and owner of the book blog "Peachy Keen Book Reviews". I am very passionate about helping market indie authors and reading and reviewing indie books is a big passion of mine.

Blog: https://peachykeenbookreviews.wordpre...

Please feel free to ask me writing questions, questions about my work, or even ask for book reviews. I would love to get to know all of you, there is so much passion here at the convention! I already feel so inspired.

Throughout the convention I will be posting writing and publishing tips as well as other advice relating to the craft!

#sciencefiction
#dystopian
#fantasy
#youngadult

GIVEAWAY TIME!
Hello Everyone!
To thank everyone for coming to the convention I am running a giveaway for a time turner with purple sand:
description
All you have to do is follow my blog: https://peachykeenbookreviews.wordpre...
(follow button is at the bottom of the menu)
As well as my Goodreads page: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show...
Once you have done that, I will put your name in the jar for the giveaway!
Thank you all!
Ashley

BOTH GIVEAWAYS END APRIL 30TH

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate M. Colby (katemcolby) | 36 comments You have such an inspiring story! Having the discipline to write and publish as a teenager is no small feat -- and having the self-awareness and confidence to revise and republish is arguably even more impressive. Good luck with your writing, and I'll see you around the convention!

message 3: by A.B. (new)

A.B. Syed (ABSyed) | 29 comments Beautiful Nightmare sounds amazing, Ashley, congratulations on publishing not one, but two books!

How long did it take you to get to the finalised version of Beautiful Nightmare and did the story change a lot during the telling?

I also have a booth here, although we are not quite the same genre, come by and say Hi some time :)

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/edit/...

message 4: by A.M. (last edited Apr 09, 2016 07:12PM) (new)

A.M. Nestler MSW (amnestler) | 110 comments Thank you so much Kate! I am very passionate about my writing and always want to make it better.
A.B., it took me about a year to get to the finalized version of Beautiful Nightmare. I did change it a lot during the revising, as I like to outline the novel after I finish it and fill any holes or areas that may confuse the reader. Revising and editing is everything!

message 5: by A.M. (new)

A.M. Nestler MSW (amnestler) | 110 comments Everyone, please visit the lovely Kate M. Colby here at the convention! Her novel "The Cogsmith's Daughter" is a steampunk novel without the steam, as she says, and looks fantastic. A review of the book will be appearing on my blog soon.
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
Also, please check out A.B. Syed. Her novel "Simon Cup's Box" is up for a giveaway. It looks like a fantastic, magical read.
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 6: by A.M. (last edited Apr 09, 2016 07:11PM) (new)

A.M. Nestler MSW (amnestler) | 110 comments Is anyone looking for writing tips or advice? Head over to my author page and post a question, I answer everything! I am here to help and better our community, don't be afraid to come and say hi :)

message 7: by A.M. (last edited Apr 09, 2016 07:12PM) (new)

A.M. Nestler MSW (amnestler) | 110 comments THINK YOU ARE TOO YOUNG TO GET PUBLISHED?
Hello Everyone,
I would like to start a discussion on this topic:

Do you think there is an age limit for who should be published and who shouldn't be published? Do you think that writing skills and talent correlate with age?

I personally do not think that age correlates with writing talent. I have have short stories published in anthologies when I was only thirteen years old. I don't think that talent can be measured by age, and any young people out there should believe that if they want to get published, there is nothing stopping them! Imagination has no limits.

message 8: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Apan (tiffanyapan) | 76 comments Congratulations on publishing your book! :)

message 9: by A.M. (new)

A.M. Nestler MSW (amnestler) | 110 comments Thank you Tiffany :)

message 10: by A.M. (last edited Apr 09, 2016 07:12PM) (new)

I wanted to take the time to post my first writing tip of the convention. This writing tip is available on my blog at the following link: https://peachykeenbookreviews.wordpre...
Enjoy! And if you have any questions or would like me to elaborate, please feel free to comment.

message 11: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Apan (tiffanyapan) | 76 comments Ashley wrote: "Hello Everyone!
I wanted to take the time to post my first writing tip of the convention. This writing tip is available on my blog at the following link: https://peachykeenbookreviews.wordpre......"

I also have read Stephen King's On Writing. I think it's something that should be on every writer's reading list. :)

message 12: by A.M. (new)

A.M. Nestler MSW (amnestler) | 110 comments I am so glad to hear that! I absolutely agree :) It is a fantastic tool for writers.

message 13: by A.M. (last edited Apr 09, 2016 07:13PM) (new)

A.M. Nestler MSW (amnestler) | 110 comments Reincarnes
A type of immortal being that I created for my novel "Into The Fog":
Reincarnes are a type of immortal that are created from the graves of deceased humans. They are created by going to the deceased human's grave on the anniversary of their death and digging up the body. Once the body has had a year to rest, it is susceptible to being transformed. Only other Reincarnes can transform bodies into Reincarnes. They do so by turning the bones of the body into dust. Doing so allows the soul to leave the body if it has not already done so. This allows for the Reincarne to remain soulless. The dust is then put into a jar and mixed with herbs that pertain to different personality characteristics. A Reincarne who is then an herbologist is the only one who has the power to raise the new Reincarne from the dead. They do so by taking the dust and herbs into an open clearing and releasing the dust into the air. They can then use magic to capture all of the dust particles and rearrange them into a new being.
This is how a Reincarne is born.

message 14: by Marco (new)

Marco Marek (marcomarek) | 34 comments Hi Ashley, thanks for like my author page in Fb, are you doing the editing too for your books?

message 15: by A.M. (new)

A.M. Nestler MSW (amnestler) | 110 comments Hi Marco,
I am currently editing and revising my novels to get them ready to send to an editor for further revision. I feel that the more eyes that help to edit the better!
Ashley

message 16: by A.M. (new)

A.M. Nestler MSW (amnestler) | 110 comments Everyone, please check out a fellow author's booth here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
Her name is Kelly and she is extremely passionate about history and Vikings. She has so much fun information there!

message 17: by Ash (new)

Ash Krafton (ash_krafton) | 58 comments Holy mackerel, Ashley. We might be book-writing soul mates :) I do love the sound of your stories...

message 18: by A.M. (new)

A.M. Nestler MSW (amnestler) | 110 comments I thought the same thing when I was reading about your writing! It is amazing to meet another author with the same style :D

message 19: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Apan (tiffanyapan) | 76 comments Ashley wrote: "GIVEAWAY TIME!
Hello Everyone!
To thank everyone for coming to the convention I am running a giveaway for a time turner with purple sand:

All you have to do is follow my blog: https://peachykeenb..."

Liked your pages. :)

message 20: by A.M. (new)

A.M. Nestler MSW (amnestler) | 110 comments Thank you for entering Tiffany! Good luck :)

message 21: by Marco (new)

Marco Marek (marcomarek) | 34 comments You are right Ashley, more eyes edit the better, i edited mine twice too and i always have found mistakes lol

message 22: by A.M. (new)

A.M. Nestler MSW (amnestler) | 110 comments Marco wrote: "You are right Ashley, more eyes edit the better, i edited mine twice too and i always have found mistakes lol"

I completely agree! It is almost like your eyes auto-correct things so you don't catch everything. I try to get as many of my friends as I can to help edit as well just so everything will hopefully be caught.

message 23: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Apan (tiffanyapan) | 76 comments Ashley wrote: "Thank you for entering Tiffany! Good luck :)"

Thanks! And good luck to everyone else who enters! :)

message 24: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Apan (tiffanyapan) | 76 comments Ashley wrote: "Marco wrote: "You are right Ashley, more eyes edit the better, i edited mine twice too and i always have found mistakes lol"

I completely agree! It is almost like your eyes auto-correct things so ..."

There will ALWAYS be something you missed though. Editing really is a neverending process. Like you will go back to the manuscript for a fifth time, still catch a typo and wonder how you missed it. :D

message 25: by Ani (new)

Ani Manjikian (lonehorseend) | 26 comments Wow. Good for you! I just saw you booth pop up on the list. I applaud you for following your heart as a teenager. That's a rough time to be doing that with all the peer pressure to be part of the herd.

message 26: by A.M. (new)

A.M. Nestler MSW (amnestler) | 110 comments Thank you so much, Ani! It was hard, because I wasn't like everyone else who wanted to party and hang out with friends all of the time. Instead, I put all of my time into my writing and it really helped me to grow.

message 27: by Marco (new)

Marco Marek (marcomarek) | 34 comments You are right Tiffany ! Yes and sometimes i wonder why i wrote that phrase, i don't like it anymore so i change it! Happened also to you ? Ashley

message 28: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Apan (tiffanyapan) | 76 comments Marco wrote: "You are right Tiffany ! Yes and sometimes i wonder why i wrote that phrase, i don't like it anymore so i change it! Happened also to you ? Ashley"

I can relate Marco! I'm doing it as we speak with one of my more recent stories! :D

message 29: by A.M. (new)

A.M. Nestler MSW (amnestler) | 110 comments I agree Tiffany! That is why I try to ignore errors in novels. No novel will ever be perfect, and it is more of the story that matters :) And I do that too, Marco! Sometimes when I write I think that a a simile or something sounds great, but when I go back it just sounds horrible. Writing is such a subjective art.

message 30: by Marco (new)

Marco Marek (marcomarek) | 34 comments Happy we both agree, yes should be the story that matters than small errors.
Would like to pop in my booth, i would like to know your thoughts about my books :)

message 31: by Lavern (new)

Lavern Winters (grandmapeachy) | 10 comments Love the discussion here. Saw your comments in the Vikings booth and went to your blog, now a follower. I see Ani dropped by too. I've been working with her to edit her next book. It can be a never ending job if you let it. But a good story is really the heart of any writing. Errors that don't stop the reader from enjoying the story are not worth worrying about.

message 32: by A.M. (new)

A.M. Nestler MSW (amnestler) | 110 comments I completely agree Lavern! When I am reviewing books for my blog, I don't take into account errors that detract from the author's story or art at all. You can't help some small mistakes. especially with indie novels. Most times us indie authors can't afford expensive editors.

message 33: by A.M. (new)

A.M. Nestler MSW (amnestler) | 110 comments Also, Marco you emailed me about reviewing your novel for my blog so I am looking forward to reading your work :)

message 34: by A.M. (last edited Apr 09, 2016 07:14PM) (new)

A.M. Nestler MSW (amnestler) | 110 comments Writing Tip #2
Hello Everyone :)
I wanted to post another writing tip for you to check out. This is writing tip #2 on my blog and discusses the importance of an interesting story from beginning to end and making sure that your first few chapters catch your reader's attention.
Here is the link: https://peachykeenbookreviews.wordpre...
Enjoy!
~Ashley

message 35: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Apan (tiffanyapan) | 76 comments Ashley wrote: "Writing Tip #2
Hello Everyone :)
I wanted to post another writing tip for you to check out. This is writing tip #2 on my blog and discusses the importance of an interesting story from beginning to ..."

I am currently filling in plotholes in book 2 of The Birthrite. Yes it can be a beast, but it is worth it when you see the story coming together. :)

message 36: by A.M. (new)

A.M. Nestler MSW (amnestler) | 110 comments I definitely agree, Tiffany :) There is nothing more satisfying than that feeling!

message 37: by A.M. (new)

Happy last day of con! -tear- I don't want it to end, but I have absolutely loved getting to know all of you. I have some great new books to feature on my blog, and I am so happy to have been able to share my story and my work with all of you.

Today, I would like to invite any of you to ask me any question possible that you may have about writing or the publishing process. I have been through the ringer with scams and con artists and I would love to share my negative experiences with you so that you can learn from my mistakes!

I hope you all have a good day, and thank you for stopping by!

message 38: by Alex (new)

Alex Carey (AlexECarey) | 62 comments Hi Ashley,

I found your booth! Wow the Fairgrounds are crowded, so much to see and so much to do! You looked very busy and are obviously enjoying yourself. I brought you a cold drink and a plate of snacks. I love your time turner, it so pretty! I am very interested in your books and look forward to reading them. :) Have a great day!

message 39: by Tiffany (last edited Apr 10, 2016 02:40PM) (new)

Tiffany Apan (tiffanyapan) | 76 comments Hi Ashley!

It was very nice meeting you and I would love also to feature you on my blog sometime. :)

Tiffany

message 40: by A.M. (new)

A.M. Nestler MSW (amnestler) | 110 comments Hi Alex!
Thank you very much for stopping by. I am excited to read your work as well! You seem so passionate.

And, Hi again Tiffany!
I was very happy to meet you too and I would love to be featured on your blog! I will be keeping in contact. I would also love to feature an interview with you for my summer interview series in June on my blog. It would be great for my readers to have an interview to go along with my review for "Descent" when it gets posted.

Thank you both for everything!
Ashley

message 41: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Apan (tiffanyapan) | 76 comments I would be happy to participate. :) You can either message me here at Goodreads, or more directly at PoetsLabyrinthMusic@gmail.com (which is the email account I check the most). Thank you and also let me know of the best way to get ahold of you. :)

message 42: by A.M. (new)

A.M. Nestler MSW (amnestler) | 110 comments I just sent you an email from my email: peachykeenreviews@gmail.com :) But you can also always contact me on here! Thank you so much for participating in my interview month! I have emailed you some of the general questions, but I will be asking questions later that are more specific to "Descent".

message 43: by Tiffany (last edited Apr 10, 2016 04:14PM) (new)

Tiffany Apan (tiffanyapan) | 76 comments Thank you so much! I will be checking my email here soon. I also just purchased Beautiful Nightmare to review. :)

Is there a certain time you wanted the answers by?

message 44: by A.M. (new)

A.M. Nestler MSW (amnestler) | 110 comments Oh, thank you so much! That's very nice of you :)
I have you scheduled for June 2 for your interview slot for this summer, so anytime before that is fine. Absolutely no rush!

message 45: by Tiffany (last edited Apr 10, 2016 04:57PM) (new)

Tiffany Apan (tiffanyapan) | 76 comments Great! Thanks! I will mark the deadline on my calendar. :) I would also love to interview you as well. I will also send questions via email in the next week.

message 46: by A.M. (new)

A.M. Nestler MSW (amnestler) | 110 comments Okay, sounds great! :)

message 47: by Nix (new)

Nix (rockie16) | 112 comments Ashley wrote: "Hello Everyone!
My name is Ashley Marie Nestler (A. M. Nestler) and I am an indie author who writes mainly young adult fiction in the forms of science fiction, dystopian, fantasy, historical fictio..."

I liked your Facebook page, follow your blog and Goodreads account. I'd like to enter both giveaways please. I enjoyed what I saw on your blog and look forward to exploring it more. :)

message 48: by A.M. (new)

A.M. Nestler MSW (amnestler) | 110 comments Thank you very much Kaela! You are entered in both giveaways :)