Clean Reads discussion

Is It Clean? > Clean horror like those by John Saul?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by C. (new)

C. | 297 comments Hi all,I have just finished reading two horror/suspense books by John Saul~ The Presence and Midnight Voices and loved them both because they had intense suspense,but no profanity,explicit sex or splatter-gore.

I am going to be enjoying his work for a while,but does anyone know of any similar authors?

Anyone know if horror author Scott Nicholson's books are 'clean'?

message 2: by Fran (new)

Fran | 6 comments Hi Christine, I'm going to check out John Saul now. Thanks

message 3: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn McC  | 8 comments John Saul is really good! I have read several of his books now :) Thank you so much for the suggestion!

message 4: by C. (new)

C. | 297 comments Wow,sorry it's been so long since I checked this thread! I hope you both enjoyed the books by John Saul.
I also enjoyed "Nathaniel".Still have more of his to read. :]

Nathaniel by John Saul

message 5: by John (new)

John | 3 comments Please be advised: Not all of Saul's books are clean. The first one I began to read (and refused to finish) was "Nightshade." There is a scene where the fifteen-year-old boy in it shares his bed with the "ghost" of his dead aunt. As I recall, nothing explicit was written, but the repulsive scene had been painted.

I've never read anything by Saul again, nor do I plan to.

message 6: by C. (last edited Jan 16, 2017 03:01AM) (new)

C. | 297 comments Re: John, sadly you are correct, as I discovered when I went to read his Manhattan Hunt Club. I could not continue for the profanity, and detailed grisly gore!

I am thinking only his books before 2000 were "clean" because my daughter's MIL[now deceased], was a fan and she most certainly would not have read such trash!

What you wrote about Nightshade, is why I will no longer touch anything by Stephen King again! He is into perverted sex, plus profanity! Dolores Clairborn had father-daughter incest, and Cujo had a masturbation scene that had absolutely no place in the story! To top it off, I heard him say on a talk show that he wanted to write books he would be proud for children to read[he has a son and a daughter]! How sickening is that? If I was his wife, I would never trust him around my daughter!

message 7: by John (new)

John | 3 comments You're right about King. I wasn't aware of his statement on a talk show. That's a laugh! He's called the master of horror but I call him the master of vulgar. There seems to be nothing that's sacred to him. He's by no means the most vulgar writer out there, but he's up there.

I think what happens with these writers, they reach a point of such security (and arrogance) in their careers that they feel they can write about absolutely anything, including that which is commonly considered taboo. And as long as people continue buying their books, they'll keep writing the filth.

It's a shame about King, however, as I think he is a fantastic storyteller. But one would have to take the good with the bad to read his books.