message 1: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sheri | 12020 comments Mod
We will be starting Monday!

message 2: by Lys (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lys (lysrowan) Woohooo!
This one made me so happy. :)

message 3: by Leigh, Wonder Woman (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leigh | 14727 comments Mod
I can't wait to see why this one made you so happy Alyssia.

message 4: by Leigh, Wonder Woman (new) - rated it 4 stars

How many chapters/day?

message 5: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new) - rated it 4 stars

8 chapters a day? I might be late on starting this. I'm waiting for a copy from the library still. I will catch up though :)

message 6: by Leigh, Wonder Woman (new) - rated it 4 stars

I will download my copy in the morning.

message 7: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new) - rated it 4 stars

One of mine, too, Steve. I'm glad to get back to it after taking a break after the first few.

message 8: by Leigh, Wonder Woman (new) - rated it 4 stars

Demon chimps throwing poo! Only Dresden will have those types of foes.

Mister is not a fan of the new pup. Love him!

message 9: by Lys (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lys (lysrowan) Oh yes. I am a big fan of Mister too. =D

message 10: by Leigh, Wonder Woman (new) - rated it 4 stars

Love this!

“An errand is getting a tank of gas or picking up a carton of milk or something. It is not getting chased by flying purple pyromaniac gorillas hurling incendiary poo!”
― Jim Butcher, Blood Rites

message 11: by Lys (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lys (lysrowan) And yet, wouldn't it be neat? Just to break up the monotony?

<>

message 12: by Leigh, Wonder Woman (last edited May 05, 2014 08:37AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

I don't think I would handle that as well as Dresden. He did it while saving puppies. Now, that is awesome.

message 13: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new) - rated it 4 stars

I didn't get my copy today, so hopefully tomorrow! I'm next on the list so I'll be able to catch up.

message 14: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lol, never mind. After I typed that I checked my email and there it was :) Starting now!

message 15: by Leigh, Wonder Woman (new) - rated it 4 stars

Quotes:

I with Dresden on this one.

“Oh, what would you like on your vegetarian pizza?" "Dead pigs and cows," I said. She glanced up at me and wrinkled her nose. "They're vegetarians," I said defensively.”

“I'd been in hairier situations than this one. Actually, it's sort of depressing, thinking how many times I'd been in them. But if experience had taught me anything, it was this: No matter how screwed up things are, they can get a whole lot worse.”

I love that we are finding out more about Dresden's past and other important people.

message 16: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new) - rated it 4 stars

I like all of the action so far. Jumps right in.

message 17: by Leigh, Wonder Woman (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yes, as always there is plenty of action which I like.

message 18: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hoping to finish up tonight. So the White Court is a lot different than your usual vampires. Interesting. And who would have guessed about Thomas?

Does anyone else think that that puppy sleeps a little too much?

message 19: by Lys (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lys (lysrowan) :)

Have I mentioned that I looooove Thomas?

I love the white court too. Delicious little parasites of delicious.

message 20: by Lys (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lys (lysrowan) I didn't notice with puppy. But I did notice that he doesn't have any issue being wide awake when he needs to be.

message 21: by Leigh, Wonder Woman (new) - rated it 4 stars

Did you notice that the puppy was helpful in certain situations? I was surprised to have Thomas and Dresden brothers. At these they can depend on each other because Thomas' family is cut throat. I guess that is the nature of vampires. Rafe was seriously creepy.

message 22: by Lys (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lys (lysrowan) I adooooooore Thomas.
And of course the puppy has mystical mojo. He's so cute.

mmm. I loved this book.

The next one is actually pretty good as well.
--
In the role playing system, they make a big deal about the fact that all of Dresden's "case files" are titled with two words, and each word is the same length: "storm front, fool moon, grave peril, summer knight, death masks, blood rites, dead beat, etc.

I am really excited for whatever happens in "changes".

message 23: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new) - rated it 4 stars

Have either of you read the Codex Alera series? I haven't seen much talk about it, but all the books have pretty high ratings. It looks like epic fantasy. I might have to check into them.
Furies of Calderon (Codex Alera, #1) by Jim Butcher

message 24: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new) - rated it 4 stars

My daughter's boyfriend is big into role playing. He was telling me about one of the games they like to play. He's trying to get my daughter to do it with them :)

message 25: by Leigh, Wonder Woman (new) - rated it 4 stars

I haven't read it. I wonder if it has the same witty banter?

I know the puppy has some magic mojo. I was just wondering if it just coincidence or cosmic plan for the puppy to be Dresden's new side-kick? What role will he paly in future stories? I like Mister, but Mister is not necessarily a guard cat.

message 26: by Lys (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lys (lysrowan) Mister saves Harry's butt a few times tho. With some help from
Bob

message 27: by Leigh, Wonder Woman (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yes, he does. Bob is the man! Cats can be more scary than some dogs but the puppy listens better than Mister. Mister has his own mind and does what it wants.

message 28: by Nick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nick | 7 comments Sheri wrote: "Have either of you read the Codex Alera series? I haven't seen much talk about it, but all the books have pretty high ratings. It looks like epic fantasy. I might have to check into them.
[bookc..."

I've read those - good series. High fantasy set in a society based on Ancient Rome but with lots of fun elemental magic powers. The story's mainly focused on a young man called Tavi, but there are chapters from the viewpoints of multiple characters. The series is six books long and that's a complete story arc.

Only downside for me was that they don't have the wry humour of the Dresden Files books.

message 29: by Lys (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lys (lysrowan) Sheri wrote: "Have either of you read the Codex Alera series? I haven't seen much talk about it, but all the books have pretty high ratings. It looks like epic fantasy. I might have to check into them.
[bookc..."

I own them, but I haven't read any. Well, I own some of them?

message 30: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new) - rated it 4 stars

Thanks Nick!

If you start the series let me know how it is Alyssa. I am going to try to read them sometime in the future :)

message 31: by Lys (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lys (lysrowan) OK, well, I could totally read them with you.
Today is my last day of class stuff. I hope to turn in final grade packets tomorrow. =D

message 32: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new) - rated it 4 stars

Haha, well I just bought the first one. The rest I can get from my library. I'd read them with you, but I have to finish a some of my other stuff first, I think. I've got too much else going on right now!

message 33: by Lys (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lys (lysrowan) Sheri wrote: "Haha, well I just bought the first one. The rest I can get from my library. I'd read them with you, but I have to finish a some of my other stuff first, I think. I've got too much else going on ..."

I'm not in any rush. Shoot me a message when you're ready to try them out. Any time between ... tomorrow and August. :)

message 34: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lol, so jealous you have the summer off! Do you still work at the library?

message 35: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new) - rated it 4 stars

I can probably start in June. There's only six books so it shouldn't take too long to get through them.

message 36: by Lys (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lys (lysrowan) Sheri wrote: "Lol, so jealous you have the summer off! Do you still work at the library?"

I don't. Right now, I am about to be jobless. I might try to pick up something part time, but I want to enjoy a week or two of not having anything to do.

message 37: by Lys (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lys (lysrowan) Sheri wrote: "I can probably start in June. There's only six books so it shouldn't take too long to get through them."

Agreed. Sounds good =D

message 38: by Leigh, Wonder Woman (new) - rated it 4 stars

My reading will slow down in the summer. My grandson requires all my attention. Nap time and weekends will be my reading time.

I think I need to get through this one before I start another series. I already have at least twenty series to finish.

message 39: by Leigh, Wonder Woman (new) - rated it 4 stars

Alyssia wrote: "Sheri wrote: "Lol, so jealous you have the summer off! Do you still work at the library?"

I don't. Right now, I am about to be jobless. I might try to pick up something part time, but I want to ..."

Enjoy your break.

Oezay | 10 comments hey sheri, you should definitely read codex alera you will like reading it, its got adventure,magic and i'll leave it at that,read the books you will like them.

message 41: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new) - rated it 4 stars

Thanks Oezay! I think I am planning on reading them next month :)