What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Gentlemen and Players
This topic is about Gentlemen and Players
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED! Student attends British boy's boarding school, causes trouble, befriends charity student [s]

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anna Katharine (new)

Anna Katharine (vinfille) | 3 comments I read this book 10 or so years ago and think it was adult, rather than YA, fiction. It was a pretty dark coming-of-age story.

I remember that the protagonist was a scholarship boy, the motherless son of school janitor who attends english boy's boarding school. He makes friends with (or is cultivated by?) a rich student who gets them both into situations that could cause a lot of trouble. (view spoiler)

message 2: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4782 comments Anna Katharine, what time period was the book set in?

Anything about the cover?

Can you remember some of the trouble the friends got in?

message 3: by Anna Katharine (new)

Anna Katharine (vinfille) | 3 comments Tab, I think the time period was 1950's-60's, and I can't remember anything particular about the cover. I checked it out of the library, and it may have been hardbound without the original dustcover.

I also don't remember details of the plot (which is why I want to reread it!) but I think the rich student was trying to devise some kind of revenge against the institution by creating public scandal around administrators.

Thanks!

message 4: by FlowerFairy (new)

FlowerFairy | 55 comments Maybe Gentlemen and Players by Joanne Harris?

message 5: by Anna Katharine (new)

Anna Katharine (vinfille) | 3 comments Yes, FlowerFairy, that's it! Thank you!

message 6: by FlowerFairy (new)

FlowerFairy | 55 comments You're welcome :)

message 7: by SparksofEmber (new)

SparksofEmber | 943 comments Gentlemen and Players by Joanne Harris for the link.

message 8: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37356 comments Mod
Wow! This book has been queried five times now.

message 9: by Tytti (last edited Dec 11, 2014 05:52PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tytti | 189 comments Could the title be changed to something little less spoilerish? It does give something away if you haven't read the book. (Because the reader doesn't know the other narrator is a female...)

message 10: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Sure. Rewrite it and we'll post it.

Tytti | 189 comments Me? I don't remember the book that well but something like a "British boy's boarding school, former student(?) causing trouble".

Because I would hate it if I accidentaly read "Girl disguised as boy" when looking at the reviews and then realizing its meaning when reading the book...

message 12: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (last edited Dec 11, 2014 06:41PM) (new)

Ok, currently it reads:

Girl disguised as boy attends British boy's boarding school, befriends charity student

How about I change it to:

Student attends British boy's boarding school, causes trouble, befriends charity student

If people object, we can edit it further.

message 13: by Tytti (last edited Dec 11, 2014 06:48PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tytti | 189 comments I don't remember the part about befriending a charity student. I thought she WAS the charity student... It might be a spoiler or might not be. It's been a few years since I read it. But I remember that the plot was pretty interesting and the fact that I still remember the twist means that it must have been important. And she was mainly planning revenge, but again, not sure would that be a spoiler.