Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

Archives Retired Folder Threads > Seeking Discussion Volunteer

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by MK (last edited May 03, 2014 02:10PM) (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments -------

New Feature! Seeking Volunteer Discussion Leaders on a "Per Book Basis"

Now, you know we are all here because we're interested in reading. And that includes the mods too *grin*. However, not every book is read by everyone, and you know, that ALSO includes the mods too *bigger grin*.

To that end, we'd like to invite more participation by members in the area of taking point on Book Discussions. You will need to have access to the book ahead of time, in order to do this, but you shouldn't see it as intimidating/scary. We're not asking you to be an expert on the book, just be interested in it, have a copy of it, and commit to participating in the thread discussions for the book.

-------

Here are the main points to cover -

1. Seeking a guest/volunteer discussion host/leader,
specifically a group member who read the book, or who will read the book, who has access to a copy of the book ahead of time, and can give an outline of threads necessary for discussion.

2. Don't worry about having to 'lead' discussions, or teach, this is a low-pressure thing, just someone enthusiastic about the book who can organize threads needed, and populate the folder with interesting background/author/topical information to help spark conversation, or suggest areas people might want to further explore.

3. 'Thread explosion' is not needed. Generally, we'll need a spoiler thread, a non-spoiler thread, and a movie thread in the films section (if applicable). For long books, or books with particular areas of interest, other/more threads might be needed. That would be the exception, not the rule tho

4. ... this would be on an 'as needed' basis; the mod responsible for each section will make a request, when making the book announcement.

5. ... unless you have a particular interest! If you are very keen to take point on a discussion, and the mod for the section hasn't made a request, you can still volunteer! Please post to the mod for the section whose book you are interested in, in the thread below.

message 2: by MK (last edited May 03, 2014 02:12PM) (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Now, I'm not the Old School Classics mod, but Cindy let us know a few days ago that she'd be going on vacation later this month, and will not be available to take point on the June 2014 Old School Classic Group Read Book - Crime and Punishment.

It's taken me a few days to get this up and posted though. If someone would volunteer to head up this book discussion, the first thing we need is some threads created for the section. This book will likely need more than two threads (a non-spoiler, and one spoiler, I mean); it will probably need one just for translations alone, and likely other threads too, but we will let you (whoever volunteers, hopefully someone will), steer us on what threads are needed. Let us know, and a mod will set the threads up.

The threads you suggest will be locked by the mods, until a set of nav links can be created and posted, and until you're certain that you have what you need, so don't worry about getting it all 'right' straight away'. You can take a few days to get organized.

Would anyone be interested in heading up this book's discussion?

message 3: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9189 comments Mod
MK -- this is the kind of thing I could do. Except for June -- I'll be gone the first half of June. I like the idea.

message 4: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Your vacation will overlap Cindy's! Too bad.

But, that's great, though, Kathy. Appreciate it.

Cindy will be by to post some comments about Crime and Punishment when she has some free time. Hopefully we have a group member who will step up! :)

(It's super easy, people, btw. You just need to be interested in the book, and have a copy, pretty much. After those two very simple pre-qualifications, it's easy-peasy :) )

message 5: by Leanne (new)

Leanne (littlebunnylibrary) | 31 comments Hey MK, I'd be willing to help out in future if needed, but I can't do June, sorry :-(

message 6: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments I wouldn't mind helping out with future books, but won't be able to for Crime and Punishment as I have never read it (or anything else by Dostoyevsky) and I don't plan on picking up a copy any time soon (too many other commitments for a while)

Will the mods post on this thread, if they would like any help with books in the future? (just so I know where to keep an eye out) I'll still always try and contribute to book discussions anyway!

message 7: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Leanne, Pink, thankyou both! Too bad about June/Crime and Punishment, but hopefully someone who will be reading it will pop by and volunteer.

Pink, I don't want to speak out of turn for Cindy or Bob, but any time you'd like to head up the discussion for one of my section's books, I'd be grateful! I'm here for the reading, just like everyone ;-), but I won't be able to, or even interested in EVERY book, so I'm happy to turn over the reins to someone who loves or has an interest in ANY of the books in my section.

Next month, Cindy and I will be switching, so she'll be Contemporary Classics, and I'll be Old School Classics. So, any Old School from July forward, that'd be great! Thanks, Pink! :)

message 8: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments No problem, I'll wait and see which books come up!

message 9: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments You're awesome, Pink. TYVM :D :D :D

message 10: by Kelly B (new)

Kelly B (kellybey) | 266 comments I'll also be on vacation in early June and will be computer-free during that time, or I'd offer to help with Crime and Punishment. I do plan on reading it, but I won't be starting it until after I get back from my trip.

I'd be willing to help with future reads though, depending on the book:-).

message 11: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Thx, Kel, you rock :)

message 12: by Kim (new)

Kim (whatkimreads) Wow everyone is going on vacation in June, I'm jealous! :( I'll be studying hard for my final exams in June, so I'm not reading Crime and Punishment... I hope SOMEONE will be available! I really like the idea though, I might want to try in the future, when I'm not studying all day.

message 13: by MK (last edited May 04, 2014 06:24AM) (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Kim, that would be wonderful, thankyou to you as well! I still remain hopeful someone will turn up for Crime and Punishment :D

ps - good luck on finals !!!!

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Normally I would not consider reading such a novel on my own, as literary crime and even present day murder mysteries are not my favorites. However, I am not going on vacation in June, nor do I have any other really exciting plans, so I will volunteer to be moderator for Crime and Punishment. It may be good to push myself outside of my comfort zone, as I have been doing more often lately :-) (I hope those with plans, have a wonderful time or do well on final exams!)

Does it matter which translation the mod chooses to read, as I was considering the Miller translation? I downloaded the Kindle sample and this version seems very easy to read and comprehend.

message 15: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments FABULOUS !!!

No, definitely not, on the translations. In fact, a thread devoted to translations would probably be a good idea.

I'll let you coordinate with Cindy about setting up threads and everything. THANKYOU SO MUCH, LISA !!!

message 16: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments (I edited the Info for that book, for our group, and put your name in the Discussion Leader field. Thankyou again!!!)

message 17: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Brown (beautygoodbook) Lisa wrote: "Normally I would not consider reading such a novel on my own, as literary crime and even present day murder mysteries are not my favorites. However, I am not going on vacation in June, nor do I hav..."

thank you so much Lisa. Just let me know how the discussion threads need to be broken down. Is the book in sections?

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes, the book is divided into 6 "parts", so perhaps the discussion thread could be divided up accordingly? I noticed that you already have a general spoiler and non-spoiler thread set up.

message 19: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Brown (beautygoodbook) Lisa wrote: "Yes, the book is divided into 6 "parts", so perhaps the discussion thread could be divided up accordingly? I noticed that you already have a general spoiler and non-spoiler thread set up."

ok I will make six section under the no spoiler thread and leave the spoiler thread open to the whole book. Does that sound good?

message 20: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4781 comments Mod
WANTED: A discussion leader for the 3rd Quarter Long Read, Anna Karenina, must have a minimum of a Master’s Degree in Russian Literature, be fluent in both Russian and English, and must be willing to work long hour for no pay.

Seriously I have not yet, nor will I be able to read Anna Karenina this year. If anyone out there would like to lead the group discussion, contact me. The only real requirement is that you have either already read or plan to read the book during the third quarter. The only other expectation is that whoever volunteers has fun.

message 21: by Kim (new)

Kim (whatkimreads) @ Bob: Does Anna Karenina start in June or in July? Because if it's in July I might want to try it...

message 22: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4781 comments Mod
It's the third quarter starting July 1st-Sep 30th

message 23: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4781 comments Mod
@Kim Have you had a chance to think about leading the discussion of Anna Karenina?

message 24: by Renato (new)

Renato (renatomrocha) If Kim can't do it, I'm available. :)

message 25: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4781 comments Mod
@Kim you still have first refusal since you expressed an interest first.

@Renato this book will not start till July 1st. I'll let Kim have a couple more days to decide, fair?

message 26: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Kim is studying for finals all month. Maybe shoot her a PM?

message 27: by Renato (new)

Renato (renatomrocha) Bob, of course!

message 28: by Caity (new)

Caity (caityf) I realize that there is no need for a discussion leader at this point, but for future classics I'd be interested in taking that on. Please keep me in mind for the future group reads. Thanks! :)

message 29: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Caity wrote: "I realize that there is no need for a discussion leader at this point, but for future classics I'd be interested in taking that on. Please keep me in mind for the future group reads. Thanks! :)"

Caity, I'm not entirely certain which section is going to be 'my' section next month, as Cindy and I plan a swap soon, but if either Emma or Grapes of Wrath interest you, I'll take you up on your offer.

Cindy is on vacation until late this month, I just started a little bit for both books, so there'd be something to start with. I do not think she'd mind if you're interested in her section's book, and I know I certainly don't :-). Let me know if either of those grab your interest.

message 30: by Caity (new)

Caity (caityf) Ooh I'd love to do The Grapes of Wrath please! Thanks

message 31: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Caity wrote: "Ooh I'd love to do The Grapes of Wrath please! Thanks "

That'd be fabulous! Thanks, Caity :).

I'll put a notice up in the threads 'keep out if your are not Caity' :D, So you can have a chance to populate the threads with whatever discussion material or links that you'd like to have at the top of the threads. If any of the stuff that I put in to start, you'd like taken out, just let me know, and I'll delete it.

The book isn't featured until July 1st, so you have plenty of time. Thanks!

message 32: by Caity (new)

Caity (caityf) MK wrote: "I'll put a notice up in the threads 'keep out if your are not Caity' :D, So you can have a chance to populate the threads with whatever discussion material or links that you'd like to have at the top of the threads. If any of the stuff that I put in to start, you'd like taken out, just let me know, and I'll delete it.

The book isn't featured until July 1st, so you have plenty of time. Thanks! "

Perfect! Thank you! Better re-read it now! LOL.

message 33: by MK (last edited Jun 13, 2014 09:39PM) (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Perfect! Thank you! Better re-read it now! LOL.

Heh ... happy reading! Take your time on thread setup, and if you need anything, give a shout. Happy Reading! :D

message 34: by MK (last edited Jun 17, 2014 04:53PM) (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments I thought I'd ask and see if there are any true Austen fans here, who would love to host the Emma discussion in July?

I'm pretty sure I'll be reading that one, but I just don't love Austen (:p), and if it turns out that I'm supposed to lead that discussion, I wouldn't like to give a book that so many love, short shrift, if it turns out it just doesn't sing for me (the way other Austen novels haven't *smile*).

Would anyone like to be the discussion leader for Emma? :)

Emma  by Jane Austen

message 35: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Caity wrote: "MK wrote: "I'll put a notice up in the threads 'keep outPerfect! Thank you! Better re-read it now! LOL. "

Caity, just checking in! :)

I'd like to take down the "Keep Out" signs on the Grapes of Wrath threads fairly soon (usually threads are open before start day). You don't have to have the book read before the month starts :).

Just stick in there stuff you'd like to have to help steer/start/guide/spark conversation, and then you're off to the races!

Let me know where you're at, and when I can 'open' the threads and make them 'live' :D.

tia!

message 36: by Caity (new)

Caity (caityf) Oh I will write you a message, I had questions. Thanks for checking in.

message 37: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Caity wrote: "Oh I will write you a message, I had questions. Thanks for checking in."

Sounds good! :)

message 38: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4781 comments Mod
Need a group member to lead the discussion for our August Old School read Great Expectations. Just post a message if you are interested.

message 39: by Renato (new)

Renato (renatomrocha) Bob, as I'll be reading the book with the group, I'm available to lead the discussion.

message 40: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4781 comments Mod
Terrific! Thank-you

message 41: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4781 comments Mod
Is anyone willing to volunteer to be the discussion Leader for The Handmaid's Tale? Post a message if you are interested.

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

Bob wrote: "Is anyone willing to volunteer to be the discussion Leader for The Handmaid's Tale? Post a message if you are interested."

Hi Bob,

I recently read the Handmaid's Tale, so I would be available to be a discussion leader and post a few questions to get the party started. :-)

message 43: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4781 comments Mod
Thanks Lisa, I'll add your name as discussion leader as soon as I can.

message 44: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4781 comments Mod
Looking for someone to volunteer as discussion leader for The Woman in White. Any takers?