Casual Readers discussion

Buddy Reads > War and Peace

Comments Showing 1-50 of 121 (121 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC A couple of us have decided to read War and Peace this month. Everyone is more than welcome to join!

message 2: by Diane (new)

Diane | 76 comments I must say, I am enjoying this book.

message 3: by Diane (new)

Diane | 76 comments I am 39% finished. So far I really like this book. I do not mind long if it holds my interest. This is a much easier read than I expected. The worst part is all the Russsian names, of which several people are known by several different names.

message 4: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC Really? You are on a tear! I've barely got started. I'm sure it's going to take me all month to read this one.

message 5: by Natasa, co-moderator (new)

Natasa (natasa79) | 149 comments Mod
I might join this read if you take me...even though I have several to finish before this one, I'm doing a May challenge in another group so I have 4 books to read...

message 6: by Diane (new)

Diane | 76 comments I am liking it, Chuck. Did really think I would. I mostly read it so you would have a friend to read with. Glad I did.

message 7: by Diane (new)

Diane | 76 comments 44%. Going to read something else for awhile.

message 8: by Diane (new)

Diane | 76 comments Welcome Natasa. Glad you are coming along. I was in hospital last week and am not doing much this week so have a good start on this.

message 9: by Sean (new)

Sean Brennan | 23 comments Chuck wrote: "Really? You are on a tear! I've barely got started. I'm sure it's going to take me all month to read this one." You do not read W+P like a normal book man I read it over a year! Tolstoy put more insights per page than most authors put in a whole book!

message 10: by Diane (new)

Diane | 76 comments It is insightful, and very much a song of life. Character development is amazing ans I am impressed with some of his woman characters being such complete characters.

message 11: by Natasa, co-moderator (new)

I can't get hold of the book... will have to check my laptop though once more, I hope I'll join you.

message 12: by Natasa, co-moderator (new)

I can't get hold of the book... will have to check my laptop though once more, I hope I'll join you.

message 13: by Diane (new)

Diane | 76 comments It is free on Amazon.

message 14: by Diane (new)

Diane | 76 comments Half finished..

message 15: by Diane (new)

Diane | 76 comments I think this man knows diddly-squat about women and young girls. I do not like Natasha, but she is a silly teenager, and spoiled.

message 16: by Angie (new)

Angie | 623 comments I'm trying to get an audio version of this book so I can listen to it instead of reading, its a book I've been wanting to read for a long while now:-)

message 17: by Angie (new)

Angie | 623 comments I've just found LibriVox and got this book for free as an audio book, so big thanks Chuck for the links to that site:D its pretty awesome that they have all those books for free and that I can access them in the UK. I wasn't sure I'd be able to:)

message 18: by Natasa, co-moderator (new)

Thx for the tip Diane!

Librivox can be a total bingo or a total failure unfortunately...some of the narrators are pretty horrible...some are really good.

Great idea Angie to listen to it... I started to listen to Dracula and then I saw it's a group read. I might join it but I will rather read it I think.

message 19: by Natasa, co-moderator (new)

I love Dostoyevski's books, read a few... especially Idiot, I wouldn't mind rereading it, it's been a while: Maybe we could do a buddh read or something in case someone's interested. I remember how much I loved the book because the character was the same me or better said I was just like him...but I have changed a lot, it would be interesting to see how much...

message 20: by Diane (new)

Diane | 76 comments I would be o.interested in a group buddy read after I finish WandP.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Has anybody heard from Chuck lately? I sent him a message but haven't gotten a reply yet. It's unlike him to disappear for days at a time.

message 22: by Diane (new)

Diane | 76 comments He wrote to me. He is having computer issues and said he would be off-line awhile. I think he is OK.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Awesome! That's all I care about (that he's OK). Thanks Diane!

message 24: by Diane (new)

Diane | 76 comments Welcome.

message 25: by Natasa, co-moderator (new)

:)

message 26: by Diane (new)

Diane | 76 comments Is Tolstoy homosexual?

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

I found this and it's quite interesting Diane.

http://tolstoy.beckerfilmgroup.com/63...

message 28: by Diane (new)

Diane | 76 comments Thank you, Cindy. I was about 100% sure of it but had never heard of it before I sort of came upon the conclusion myself.
I am finding this to be one worthwhile read. Probably not five stars, but good.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

You are quite welcome. Glad you are enjoying the book. I have it and it's been years since I've read it, but I don't have time right now. Might make it a goal to do a re-read by the end of the year.

message 30: by Diane (new)

Diane | 76 comments I have too much to read without rereading a 1912 page book. I am enjoying this but not that much. LOL

message 31: by Diane (new)

Diane | 76 comments I swear I would not want these players planning my war

message 32: by Diane (new)

Diane | 76 comments When will this battle ever start?

message 33: by Diane (new)

Diane | 76 comments Pierre is dumb as a rock. Unreal. Idiots.

message 34: by Sean (new)

Sean Brennan | 23 comments I did warn you all! Certain books just can not be read in one go.

message 35: by Diane (new)

Diane | 76 comments LOL. You ate right
It seems this war has about 150 000 people I would trust having my back
I am on book 11, so I WILL SEE LIGHT SOMETIMR

message 36: by Sean (new)

Sean Brennan | 23 comments Try Middlemarch by George Eliot Not many characters but Elliot had a brain the size of a small asteroid. I used to weep in confusion.

message 37: by Natasa, co-moderator (new)

hahaha you're funny :)))

Actually I would love to do a buddy read with this book The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov...also Russian author of course, this book was crazy, something about the devil coming to Earth, I can't remember much expet that I really enjoyed it!

message 38: by Natasa, co-moderator (last edited May 12, 2014 01:36PM) (new)

I've never posted an image before, so wish me good luck :)...ok second try, new luck???

Behemoth

message 39: by Natasa, co-moderator (new)

yeeeeiy me, hoozaah :P

the first one was too big...even though I found it here on GR...well, I'll start with small first, then I can do bigger :)))

this is the naughty cat from The Master and Margarita

message 40: by Diane (new)

Diane | 76 comments I love Solgenitzen, and hate to admit that I have read nothing y him since college. Another buddy read idea.??
Isn't Elliott a woman. Have not read any Elliot since college either. Dm, I guess that makes me old AND dumb

message 41: by Diane (new)

Diane | 76 comments I told my husband I would never read a book this long again. He told me there is no other book that long.

message 42: by Diane (new)

Diane | 76 comments 71% finished. All downhill from here, baby. LOL

message 43: by Diane (new)

Diane | 76 comments I love auto correct. I like being surprised at the things I said.

message 44: by GeneralTHC (last edited May 12, 2014 11:09PM) (new)

GeneralTHC Okay, great, I'm back and ready to rock and roll on this!

I'm sorry, Diane, I know I said I'd try to be a couple hundred pages into this but I'm barely 50. I've been reading ALL KINDS of stuff--haven't finished but one book this month though-- but I have read A LOT! I'm wondering if I've done developed ADHD, haha. It's all good though--I'm really going to try to finish this in the next couple weeks. I need to finish downloading the audio, but that shouldn't be a problem now.

For anyone that needs the eBook you can get it here legally (in your preferred format): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2600

message 45: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC Diane wrote: "I am liking it, Chuck. Did really think I would. I mostly read it so you would have a friend to read with. Glad I did."

Great! Thank you, so very, very much! I won't leave you hanging like I did on ULYSSES BTW, I'm so sorry about that, BTW.

message 46: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC Natasa wrote: "I might join this read if you take me...even though I have several to finish before this one, I'm doing a May challenge in another group so I have 4 books to read..."

Of course we'll have you! You're more than welcome to join! Read at your own pace, no matter how long it takes. If I'm around, and I certainly plan on being, I'll be more than willing to discuss the book however long it takes.

message 47: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC Sean wrote: "Chuck wrote: "Really? You are on a tear! I've barely got started. I'm sure it's going to take me all month to read this one." You do not read W+P like a normal book man I read it over a year! Tolst..."

H'm... I guess I'm about to find out this month. I tried it with INFINITE JEST and it didn't work, nor did it work with ULYSSES, haha! I'm going to give it heck--that's for sure.

message 48: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC Angie wrote: "I've just found LibriVox and got this book for free as an audio book, so big thanks Chuck for the links to that site:D its pretty awesome that they have all those books for free and that I can acce..."

Yeah, I think I posted those links in another group. I haven't heard the Librivox version. Is it decent?

message 49: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC Natasa wrote: "hahaha you're funny :)))

Actually I would love to do a buddy read with this book The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov...also Russian author of course, this book..."

That's on my must-read list as well.

message 50: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC Diane wrote: "71% finished. All downhill from here, baby. LOL"

Golly, Diane, you are on a ROLL!

« previous 1 3