American Gods (American Gods, #1) American Gods discussion

Dream-cast for the TV-Series

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Acer (last edited May 03, 2014 08:33AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Acer Pseudoplantatus So, while anxiously waiting for news about the American Gods Series, I started to imagine my dream cast. And of course, I wondered what other's opinions on it and dream-casts would be. Mine is as follows (in no particular order) ;

Grimnir - Brendan Gleeson
Shadow - Jason Momoa
Chernobog - either David Bradley, Christopher Walken, Jackie Earle Haley or Rade Serbedzija
Easter - Heather Graham
Bast - Eva Green
Mad Sweeny - Colin Farrell*
Mr. Nancy - Keith David
Technical Boy - Jonah Hill
Zorya Verchernyaya - Maggie Smith
Zorya Utrennyaya - Meryl Streep
Zorya Polunochnaya - Kate Winslet
Hinzelmann - John Mahoney
Bilquis - Rosario Dawson
Ibis - Rene Auberjonois**
Jacquel - Idres Elbe
Samantha - Jennifer Lawrence
Laura - Alison Brie
Wisakedjak - Wes Studi
Media - Imogen Poots or Scarlett Johansson
Loki - Ralph Fiennes or Mark Sheppard
Kali - Mindy Kaling
Chad Mulligan - Mark Ruffalo
Agent Town - Rory McCann
Agent Wood - Nick Frost
Agent Stone - Simon Pegg

*Yes, I'm aware that Mad Sweeny is supposed to have no Irish accent, however Farrell would be the perfect choice in my opinion. If you've seen In Bruges I doubt you'd disagree that there is anyone who could pull off depressed-Lakeside-Sweeny better.

**I'm aware that he might be considered a bit pale, however I do think that he would fit the role perfectly performancewise.

message 2: by Ed (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ed Those are some great choices. I can definitely see Jonah Hill as the Technical Boy and Keith David as Mr. Nancy. Eva Green as Bast would be pretty cool, too. I might have chosen Jackie Earl Haley for Loki instead of Czernobog. Picking a good Shadow is really the toughest part... that could make or break the whole thing.

You mentioned that Mad Sweeney shouldn't have an Irish accent. That's interesting, because I listened to this on audiobook (the 10th anniversary full-cast recording), and I'm pretty sure the guy who played him did have an Irish accent.

Acer Pseudoplantatus Glad to read :-)
He'd certainly be an interesting choice (and he's an underrated actor imho). Chernobog is certainly the most difficult for me to settle on.
Indeed, Shadow is tricky. My main choice would have been Tom Hardy, but the book describes Shadow as being from an "undeterminable" racial background and Momoa visually fits best from all the actors I know.

That is interesting... There seem to be various versions of the book as well -mine is the "Tenth Anniversary Edition (Author's Preferred Text)" where Sweeny is described without an Irish accent.
Personally I'd like him to have his accent, and I'd love the different characters to have accents in their own, since it would make the whole even more diverse.

Jacob Charles Dance would be great as Mr. Wednesday.

Acer Pseudoplantatus He'd be my second choice after Gleeson.

Carl Harris Any time I've ever read the book I've always pictured Anthony Hopkins as Wednesday. Which is funny come to think of it considering that I read American Gods way before Thor came out.

Acer Pseudoplantatus He'd be an awesome choice as well, though I'm still sticking with Gleeson :D
But I had an epiphany; wouldn't Tom Waits make a terrific Odin or Loki?

Ivan I like most of the choices except Jason Momoa I really dislike that actor anywhere, also for Loki I think Shepard would be far better choice than Fines.
For Chernobog I would pick Rutger Hauer.

message 9: by J (new) - rated it 5 stars

J What about Danny Devito for Czernobog? Anyone feel me on this?

message 10: by Ivan (last edited Jun 08, 2014 12:21PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ivan Jourdan wrote: "What about Danny Devito for Czernobog? Anyone feel me on this?"

Czernobog is suppose to be big and muscular for an old man. Devito is opposite of that.

message 11: by J (new) - rated it 5 stars

J I missed the physical description apparently- by the way he spoke I felt he could be a comedic element, kind of a kooky abrasive guy. Could be some comic relief on the big screen... :-)

message 12: by Acer (new) - rated it 5 stars

Acer Pseudoplantatus Certainly there is a slightly cynical humour to Chernobog, yet I'm not quite sure if Devito can "bring the darkness"... Though he'd be an interesting choice.

Hannah Jones Ivan wrote: "I like most of the choices except Jason Momoa I really dislike that actor anywhere, also for Loki I think Shepard would be far better choice than Fines.
For Chernobog I would pick Rutger Hauer."

Oh my gods would Rutger Hauer be the perfect Czernabog!

Myriam Flores I see Jeff Bridges as Wednesday, and I agree, Jason Momona as Shadow is perfect

Emmet D'Alton Peter Dinklage could be an awesome choice for Wednesday, obviously not right physically but he could carry that kind of role.

Jason Snellman I'm a really big fan of Joe Manganiello for Shadow.

Byron always imagined Mr Wednesday as Michael Parks

Julie I think Mickey Rourke has the right level of scary to be Chernobog

message 19: by ryan (new) - rated it 3 stars

ryan Julie wrote: "I think Mickey Rourke has the right level of scary to be Chernobog"

Micket rourke would be a good chernobog!

message 20: by Cyn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cyn Ical Who would you cast for Allvis and The Forgotten God?

message 21: by Acer (new) - rated it 5 stars

Acer Pseudoplantatus Allvis is tricky. I'd like him to be played by a (trained) basso profundo because of the humming-scene.
Finding such a singer isn't too easy though, especially if he has to be young, barrell-chested and bearded :D

Not too sure whom you mean when speaking of "The Forgotten God", though

message 22: by Cyn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cyn Ical Lol. Your description of Allvis immediately brought to mind John Rhys-Davies; albeit a slightly obvious choice since he is famously known for his portrayal of Gimli in the movie version of The Lord of the Rings.

As for The Forgotten God; Shadow and Mister Wednesday come across him in Las Vegas. He is wearing a dark suit and gives an impression of wealth. His name is never given and although Mister Wednesday shares some Soma with him to seal their bargain, he is immediately forgotten afterwards. Thus the name. :)

message 23: by Acer (new) - rated it 5 stars

Acer Pseudoplantatus John Rhys-Davies is no basso profundo though, as far as I know. I'm talking about someone with a voice almost inhumanly deep.

As for the Forgotten God, I'm not really sure if it matters. Personally I'd like his face to be hidden from the audience and his voice inaudible.

message 24: by J (new) - rated it 4 stars

J Chernobog, when I read his parts I automatically pictured Elya Baskin. That's my only contribution. I think everyone else's ideas are spectacular.

Jonathan Minville For my part I pictured Wednesday as Bertram Cooper from Mad Men.

message 26: by Jinie (new) - added it

Jinie Yolievis I can only see Christopher Waltz as Wednesday! Can't unsee it no more! And maybe Tom hardy as shadow. And Morgan freeman as mr.nancy.

message 27: by Zac (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zac HOORAY! It's a GO! #castingshadow

http://www.vulture.com/2015/06/neil-g...

message 28: by Mac (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mac I like some of your choices above. And as much as I like Momoa...I don't think he can pull this off.

message 29: by Sean (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sean Jason wrote: "I'm a really big fan of Joe Manganiello for Shadow."

Shadow is BiRacial, his mother is Black.

message 30: by Tanya (last edited Jun 29, 2015 11:34AM) (new)

Tanya Rodgers Were he alive today, Sammy Davis Jr. would be the only acceptable choice for Mr. Nancy.

And I really dislike Heather Graham as Easter. The books describe her as vivacious and curvy, and for whatever reason, my brain translated that to more of a Kate Upton body style, but she might be too young. I've also never seen her act. What about Christina Hendricks from Mad Men?

message 31: by Mark (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mark The choices for the Zoryas are all wrong. The Morning Star, Evening Star and Midnight Star obviously equate to the Crone, the Mother and the Maiden, respectively. Utrennyaya, the Morning Star is the oldest (the Crone). Therefore, that would have to be Maggie Smith. Kate Winslet then as Verchernyaya, the Evening Star (the Mother) and finally ... perhaps a very young actress like Chlöe Grace Moretz to play the Midnight Star (the Maiden) Polunochnaya.

message 32: by Ana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ana Luna ok so I think Ricky Whittle was a perfect choice for shadow... and somehow I have it stuck in my head that Samuel L. Jackson is the only one who could play Mr. Nancy... and unfortunately, I too, can only imagine Wednesday being played by Anthony Hopkins and yeah, it is because of the thor movies although Christoph waltz could probably pull it off too. For Mad sweeny I'd love Domhnall Gleeson but he's probably too young.. maybe someone along the lines of Kevin Mckidd. Now, czernobog is one of my favorite characters and I really don't know who could play him but Rade Serbedzija is a fine choice and I could also see him as wednesday...Christopher walken could be an ok czernobog too... now eva gren for bast is perfect! just as I imagined her. Hinzelman-Scott Wilson, definitely.

message 34: by Mark (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mark I think that was established earlier. Perhaps not here on GR. I think McShane will do fine but I hope the director can do like Peter Jackson did for Hobbits and Wizards, distort the size of McShane to make him appear bigger. He's quite small for Odin.

In a related note: I vote for Lance Reddick for Baron Samedi :)