Obsessed with True Crime discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > Novels based on true crimes

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited May 03, 2014 08:06AM) (new)

I thought it might bee interesting to post some books in here that are based on true crimes . Some are very good !
A Season in Purgatory A Season in Purgatory A Season in Purgatory by Dominick Dunne

This is by Dominick Dunne and is about the Martha Moxley case. He brings up some very good points in the book. It's a great read , and he also puts some doubt into your mind as to whether the right person has been punished for the crime. I don't think so , in my opinion ! I'd be interested in hearing what others think .

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

The Weight of Water by Anita Shreve The Weight of Water

Based on the "Smuttynose Island Murders . Very fascinating case ,and another in which there is a remote possibility that someone else committed the crimes .

message 4: by Chris (new)

Chris (bibliophile85) | 30 comments The Girl Next Door by Jack Ketchum was based on the Sylvia Likens case. Brutal and depressing read though, one of the bleakest I have encountered.

message 5: by Susan (new)

Susan Tejada (goodreadscomsusan_tejada) | 17 comments The Wife of Martin Guerre, by Janet Lewis

message 6: by Sam (new)

Sam King | 1 comments Hunting Pleasure by Sam King http://samking.blog.co.uk/ Ed Gein, John Wayne Gacey and Ted Bundy elements. 10 years of forensics including FBI. Criminal profiling and psychology in-depth. Post-rape details to avoid voyeurism. Are the words "the plot" on the cover for a reason?

message 7: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

Lady ♥ Belleza (bella_foxx) | 3307 comments Mod
Chris wrote: "The Girl Next Door by Jack Ketchum was based on the Sylvia Likens case. Brutal and depressing read though, one of the bleakest I have encountered."

The Girl Next Door by Jack Ketchum

The Girl Next Door by Jack Ketchum

message 8: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

Susan wrote: "The Wife of Martin Guerre, by Janet Lewis"

The Wife of Martin Guerre by Janet Lewis

The Wife of Martin Guerre by Janet Lewis

message 9: by Esther (new)

Esther (estherlu) | 7 comments My Sister, My Love by Joyce Carol Oates. Fascinating novel loosely based on the Jon Benet Ramsey murder case. Told from the point of view of the older brother. Oates is a fabulous writer.

message 10: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

Esther wrote: "My Sister, My Love by Joyce Carol Oates. Fascinating novel loosely based on the Jon Benet Ramsey murder case. Told from the point of view of the older brother. Oates is a fabulous writer."

My Sister, My Love: The Intimate Story of Skyler Rampike by Joyce Carol Oates

message 11: by Fishface (last edited Apr 26, 2016 09:01AM) (new)

Fishface | 11308 comments Jack the Ripper, also available under the title RED JACK, is a collection of fictional treatments of the Ripper crimes.

Bad Penny Blues is based on the Jack the Stripper case, as is Frenzy.

EDIT: And also The Charred Forest Murders.

message 12: by Fishface (last edited Feb 12, 2016 04:59PM) (new)

Fishface | 11308 comments And the Hippos Were Boiled in Their Tanks is based on the Beat Killer. The true story is in the back of the novel, which was written by two friends of the killer and the victim.

message 14: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

"The Natural” written in 1952 by Bernard Malamud), is based on the true account of Eddie Waitkus. See: Baseball's Natural. link to my blog review

message 15: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

message 18: by Beth (new)

Beth Carpenter (emma2009) | 46 comments Looking for PSYCHO, PSYCHO 2 & PSYCHO HOUSE for nook. Have found PSYCHO, but have been unable to find the other two in e book form.
If anyone knows where I can find the other two books, please let me know.

message 19: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 11308 comments Beth wrote: "Looking for PSYCHO, PSYCHO 2 & PSYCHO HOUSE for nook. Have found PSYCHO, but have been unable to find the other two in e book form.
If anyone knows where I can find the other two books, please let..."

Heck, I'd just hit the nearest used bookstore and get them for a buck apiece!

message 20: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 11308 comments The Lover is based on the London Blackout Ripper case.

message 21: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 11308 comments Quiet Dell is based on the lonelyhearts murders of Harry Powers, as was the better-known The Night of the Hunter.

message 23: by Fishface (last edited Feb 14, 2016 01:09PM) (new)

Fishface | 11308 comments Some Unknown Person is based on the murder of Starr Faithfull. so is The Memory Book of Starr Faithfull. For true details see The Passing of Starr Faithfull. Oh, and so is BUtterfield 8.

message 24: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 11308 comments The Charred Forest Murders is yet another one based on Jack the Stripper.

message 32: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 11308 comments As those of you from Shelfari must realize by now, this is my way of transferring all the titles from the "True Crime: Fictionalized Versions" from there to here.

message 33: by Fishface (last edited Mar 03, 2016 04:54PM) (new)

Fishface | 11308 comments For anyone interested in this topic in general, may I recommend Blood and Ink: An International Guide to Fact-Based Crime Literature. It's a massive reference guide listing every novel, short story, play, collection, and you-name-it that is fictional but based on a true crime.

I learned by using the search box at Shelfari that there is a whole subgenre devoted to pitting Sherlock Holmes against Jack the Ripper, for instance. There is an author who uses multiple pen names, one of which is devoted entirely to novels based on true crimes. Borowitz's book, linked in this post, tells you which crime each novel is based on. Great stuff.

message 34: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Krisko (kakrisko) | 1246 comments Interesting. I might go for Holmes vs. Jack if it was well done.

message 35: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 11308 comments K.A. wrote: "Interesting. I might go for Holmes vs. Jack if it was well done."

There are so many to choose from, I shudder to think how many you'd have to plow through to find the good ones.

message 36: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 11308 comments CrimeSleuthJunkie says Blind Rage: A True Story of Sin, Sex, and Murder in a Small Arkansas Town is a novel, but based on TC.

message 37: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 11308 comments The Slaughter: An American Atrocity turns out to be a TC introduction to a novel about the true case. (???)
The Slaughter An American Atrocity by Carroll Case

Carolina Skeletons is based on the George Stinney case. Carolina Skeletons by David Stout

message 38: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 11308 comments Just discovered one new to me: Camelia by Dianna Dann. Based on the true case described in A Little Girl Is Missing by Samuel Roen.

message 39: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 11308 comments I'm too lazy to read the whole discussion. Did I mention that The Girl Next Door is based on House of Evil: The Indiana Torture Slaying?

message 41: by Beth (new)

Beth Carpenter (emma2009) | 46 comments Can anyone suggest a book about Charles Starkweather and Caril Ann Fugate? Will take any and all suggestions in either ebook or regular book form.
Thanks in advance.

message 42: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 11308 comments Beth wrote: "Can anyone suggest a book about Charles Starkweather and Caril Ann Fugate? Will take any and all suggestions in either ebook or regular book form.
Thanks in advance."

(Looks at title of thread) A novel, specifically? I'm not sure there is one.

message 43: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 1225 comments A novella A Good Marriage by Stephen King is based on the BTK case. It apparently really upset Rader's daughter when it came out. The book is #4 in a series called Full Dark, No Stars.

message 44: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 11308 comments Come to think of it, Stephen King also based his characters Poke Waxman and Lloyd Henreid, and to a lesser extent Harold Lauder and Nadine Cross, on Chuck Starkweather and Caril Ann Fugate.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.