Fantasy Book Club Series discussion

The Darkness That Comes Before (The Prince of Nothing, #1)
This topic is about The Darkness That Comes Before
Prince of Nothing > DARKNESS THAT COMES BEFORE - Finished ***SPOILERS***

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jon (new) - added it

Jon (jonmoss) | 706 comments Please post your thoughts here under this topic once you've finished the book. Spoilers are allowed(view spoiler).

message 2: by Kathi, There’s no such thing as too many books! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kathi | 777 comments Mod
So I'll jump in. I finished this book a few days ago, having taken most of the month of April to read it (lots of real life interfering). And I'm sure my reaction to the book is somewhat colored by that disjointed read.

Having said that... I was still constantly referring to the maps and the character/players lists in the back of the book, even when I was finishing the book. I had a terrible time keeping people and groups straight and having a mental idea of how the world is organized, geographically (although the maps helped with that), politically, and religiously.

I am hoping the other books in the series are a bit easier to follow, and maybe it will help if I am able to read more consistently.

That's a start--let's see what others think.

John | 136 comments Kathi, I do think the other books are probably a bit easier to follow, because now the primary narrative thread will be following the holy war's progress and not jumping around spatially. Plus, you've met the most central characters at this point.

message 4: by Kathi, There’s no such thing as too many books! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kathi | 777 comments Mod
John wrote: "Kathi, I do think the other books are probably a bit easier to follow, because now the primary narrative thread will be following the holy war's progress and not jumping around spatially. Plus, you..."

I started the next book and the first section is a summary of the first book--very helpful since I found the first book a bit overwhelming in terms of names of characters, places, and factions.

message 5: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new) - rated it 4 stars

Maggie K | 1196 comments Mod
I finally finished this and in the end really enjoyed it a lot