Fantasy Book Club Series discussion

The Darkness That Comes Before (The Prince of Nothing, #1)
This topic is about The Darkness That Comes Before
Prince of Nothing > DARKNESS THAT COMES BEFORE - Planning to Read? 1st Impressions? NO SPOILERS

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jon (new) - added it

Jon (jonmoss) | 706 comments My apologies! I'm late to the party and I was supposed to be hosting it. It completely slipped my mind. Real life lately has swamped me but the month of May has so many good books for me to get lost in.

I checked out my copy of The Darkness That Comes Before from my local library yesterday. A warning though: I won't be starting this book until I finish S., which is intense and takes all my concentration. It will be a relief to finish it and get back to something that doesn't give me headaches (in a good way) when reading it.

Let us know if you're planning to read this book and this series. If someone else wants to lead while I'm distracted by other books, please feel free to do so.

message 2: by Kathi, There’s no such thing as too many books! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kathi | 842 comments Mod
I dove into this during April and am looking forward to the discussion.

John | 136 comments I saw the notification and decided to re-read. Almost finished--going much more quickly than I thought it would.

Bill I read the first book of this series not to long ago. I will be following along with the discussion and jumping in fully with book 2.

message 5: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new) - rated it 4 stars

Maggie K | 1202 comments Mod
I intend to read too...I started to but decided I needed to clear off a few things before I dug in or Id get confused...getting too old!

message 6: by Stuart (new) - added it

Stuart (asfus) | 16 comments May read at some point

Suzanne | 212 comments I read the first book of the series about a year ago - I thought it was ok, and with the group reading the series, I will probably continue along with you guys.

message 8: by Deano (new)

Deano | 10 comments I'm thinking about getting the audio book for this one
But I'm a bit worried that I won't be able to keep up with names and places without some sort of reference to look upon.
Any ideas from anyone who has read it?

message 9: by Kathi, There’s no such thing as too many books! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kathi | 842 comments Mod
Deano wrote: "I'm thinking about getting the audio book for this one
But I'm a bit worried that I won't be able to keep up with names and places without some sort of reference to look upon.
Any ideas from anyone..."

I really struggled with keeping the characters and places and factions straight, so I would try to get copies of the maps and the lists from the back of a print book.

Suzanne | 212 comments I struggled with the names/places/factions too. I finally just had to let some of them go and figured if they were important I'd see them again and start remembering them.

Suzanne | 212 comments I just noticed the character analysis threads in this group. Wow, I think those would have helped a lot when I was reading it - what a great idea - and what great summaries so far.

message 12: by Jon (new) - added it

Jon (jonmoss) | 706 comments Suzanne wrote: "I just noticed the character analysis threads in this group. Wow, I think those would have helped a lot when I was reading it - what a great idea - and what great summaries so far."

Yes, a big thanks to John for posting those threads.

message 13: by Deano (new)

Deano | 10 comments Yes it's a good idea
If this is done on later books
Could it be that the first post is just an overview of the character
So we don't have to worry about spoilers and can see who is who??

Suzanne | 212 comments I think they are a little spoilery (the character overviews). Some may depend on how spoiler sensitive you are.

message 15: by John (new) - rated it 5 stars

John | 136 comments I can definitely say my character analyses were spoilery--they were meant to kick off discussion more than to help people keep characters straight. But for the future, I'm sure we could do something to give people a basic overview of who's who, who you should be paying attention to, that sort of thing.

message 16: by Deano (new)

Deano | 10 comments That would be great john
Thanks

Suzanne | 212 comments I think they will help me a lot moving forward with the series since it has been awhile since I read the first book.

message 18: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new) - rated it 4 stars

Maggie K | 1202 comments Mod
so I am almost halfway through this one, and see it is a slow and thoughtful read. This is good....lol, but it will take me some time to finish it. am enjoying this!

message 19: by Deano (new)

Deano | 10 comments I really not sure wether to go with this or the cold fire trilogy.
Will it take me the whole book to grasp the characters