The Hunger Games discussion

The Books

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ♥Cassie♥ (new)

♥Cassie♥ This is what the books about
Katniss is a 16-year-old girl living with her mother and younger sister in the poorest district of Panem, the remains of what used be the United States. Long ago the districts waged war on the Capitol and were defeated. As part of the surrender terms, each district agreed to send one boy and one girl to appear in an annual televised event called, "The Hunger Games." The terrain, rules, and level of audience participation may change but one thing is constant: kill or be killed. When Kat's sister is chosen by lottery, Kat steps up to go in her place.
Now let me explain
In Panem there are 12 districts(there used to be 13 though) and the government rules everything.District 1 is the richest discrict and district 12 is the poorest.And each year they have a game called The Hunger Games where they take a boy tribute and a girl tribute between the ages of 12-18 from each district and put them in an arena (that can be anything from a frozen wasteland to a barren desert)and they have to kill each other.The last person standing wins. District 12 mines coal so lots of people work as coal minners.A 16 year old girl Katniss from district 12 her father died and her mother doesn't make enough money to support them. So Katniss hunts illegally in the woods with her friend Gale.Gale is poor too.On the day the pick the people for the hunger games Katniss's sister prim,who she loves dearly , is picked .Katniss voulenteers to go in her sisters place.Now Katniss has to face 23 people and try to stay alive.But in the Games she teams up with the boy from her district and they start to fall in love but only one person can live.

message 2: by Allisa (new)

Allisa (allisawhite) I love that part!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

*SPOILER ALLERT*
There is no district 12

message 4: by Allisa (new)

Allisa (allisawhite) YES THERE IS! there isn't district 13! Katniss is from district 12!

message 5: by Naomi (new)

Naomi (choclatier07) | 5 comments That's true. I just got an audiobook of the Hunger Games from my school, and I'm like, on chapter 7...

message 6: by Allisa (new)

Allisa (allisawhite) lol.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

The last sentance of catching fire said by Gale is "Katniss there is no district 12"

message 8: by Allisa (new)

Allisa (allisawhite) WHAT!

message 9: by Allisa (new)

Allisa (allisawhite) don't tell me why. My mom has the book at the moment and i will be reading it!

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

OK

message 11: by siyao, District 11 rox! (new)

siyao (siyaoi) | 62 comments Mod
*SPOILER ALERT*

**SPOILER ALERT**

Dude! Gale told Katniss that the capitol people bombed District 12! It still exists for the Hunger Games book!

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

*Spioler*

I know but I got mad, I'm over it now cuz Her family is still alive but I had to let ppl know how mad I was. . . I hate the 2nd books ending, I mean Cinna got killed and Peeta is with the Capitol and district 12 got bombed! I hate the ending nd Suzanne Colling better make the 3rd book come out really soon cuz I'd be so upset if it dosen't. . .Srry, I'm ranting arent I . . . . . . .

message 13: by Naomi (new)

Naomi (choclatier07) | 5 comments dudes, i like, just put a hold on the LARGE PRINT version of catching fire at the library. Reading the large print version is faster, cause the ratio of holds:copies ids less.... i think....

message 14: by ♥Cassie♥ (new)

♥Cassie♥ I was soo pissed when Cinna he was one of my favorite characters. If Suzanne Collins doesn't make a book fast I WILL go crazy

message 15: by Allisa (new)

Allisa (allisawhite) we don't know if Cinna died. All we know is that peacekeepers beat him up and took him away!

message 16: by ♥Cassie♥ (new)

♥Cassie♥ Katniss talks about how he made the mocking jay dress knowing he would be killed and talks about how she's sad he died but it doesn't tell you how they killed him but I assumed they did

message 17: by Allisa (new)

Allisa (allisawhite) it does? where?

message 18: by i love... (new)

i love... ...ummm (iloveummmm) | 1 comments who do you think she likes more Gale? or Peeta?

message 19: by Allisa (new)

Allisa (allisawhite) Peeta.

message 20: by ♥Cassie♥ (new)

♥Cassie♥ I don't know and she talks about it when she gets in the arena

message 21: by Allisa (new)

Allisa (allisawhite) lol.

message 22: by Aviva (new)

Aviva (newtimelord) I luv Cinna he's my fav character!

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

I freaking love this series

message 24: by Aviva (new)

Aviva (newtimelord) Mosspaw (Allisa) Sailor Moon's #1 Fan! wrote: "Peeta."

GALE

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

PEETA.

message 26: by siyao, District 11 rox! (new)

PEETA

message 27: by siyao, District 11 rox! (new)

Ha we win!

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Peeta! Oh yeah xD

message 29: by Aviva (new)

Aviva (newtimelord) GALE GALE GALE

he is waaaaaaaaaaaay better. he can do more than camoflage and throwing things and such. he can survive in the wild alone

message 30: by Aviva (new)

Aviva (newtimelord) and more

GALE GALE GALE

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Peeta is a waaaaay better camouflager than Gale! Remember when Peeta practically turned himself invisible after he got hurt and stayed put for days??????
Mmm-hmm, peeta is so the better man.
Peeta is perfectly capable of surviving in the wilderness alone

PEETA PEETA PEETA PEETA!!!!!!!!!

message 32: by siyao, District 11 rox! (new)

WHAT SHE SAID!

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

xD

message 34: by Aviva (new)

Aviva (newtimelord) Rose *Enna/Katniss* wrote: "Peeta is a waaaaay better camouflager than Gale! Remember when Peeta practically turned himself invisible after he got hurt and stayed put for days??????
Mmm-hmm, peeta is so the better man.
Peet..."

i said that gale can do more than camo and such. not he is better. but he is! at everything! GALE GALE GALE GALE

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

No one wants a perfect character! And Gale annoys me.
And Peeta can do way better Camo.
OBVIOUSLY Gale didn't spend like 8 hours in the training room playing with camo or out in The Arena camouflaging himself so he wouldn't DIE!!!
and at least Peeta is SMART enough not to get his back whipped to pieces by a peacemaker unlike GALE!!

PEETA RULES!

message 36: by Aviva (new)

Aviva (newtimelord) AT LEAST GALE IS SMART, AND HOW ABOUT THIS ONE, NOT STUCK IN THE CAPITOL. EVEN IF IT SHOULD BE PEETA, WHICH IT WILL NEVER BE, HE IS NOT THERE. AND KATNISS LIKES GALE. NOT PEETA. REMEMBER?

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

PEETA IS SMART! What ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?!
IT WAS NOT his CHOICE TO BE THROWN INTO THIS CAPITOL BUSINESS! HE HAD TO BECAUSE HE WAS CHOSEN!!!!!
KATNISS REALLY LIKES PEETA. SHE DOES MORE FOR HIM THAN SHE DOES GALE. IF SHE REALLY LIKED GALE, SHE WOULDN'T GO AROUND PRETENDING THEY WERE COUSINS THEN KISSING HIM WHERE PRESIDENT SNOW CAN SEE!!!!! SHE LIKES PEETA, IT'S REALLY OBVIOUS. HE'S DONE MORE THAN....ANY GUY COULD ever DO FOR HER

message 38: by Aviva (new)

Aviva (newtimelord) YOU ARE WRONG. ALL OF IT IS WRONG. hey, is suzanne collins on goodreads? she could settle this for us.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Naaaaah. I know what I'm talking 'bout. lol.

Nope, :-/ I wish she was. And even if she was she probably wouldn't tell us anything about Gale v. Peeta because it might do with the third book.

message 40: by Aviva (new)

Aviva (newtimelord) well! igh. how about we just wait until weve read the 3rd to settle this. Then it will be obvious that she belongs with Gale

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

okay, lol. Even if she did turn out with Gale, [which I highly doubt:] it wouldn't be right

message 42: by Aviva (new)

Aviva (newtimelord) if she turned out with peeta it wouldnt be right. *SHE DOEST LOVE HIM*