Chaos Reading discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Treasure Hunt Challenge > Treasure Hunt II - The Return [topic closed]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Ruby , Mistress of Chaos (new)

Ruby  Tombstone Lives! (rubytombstone) | 3260 comments Mod
It's almost that time of year again already. Can you believe it? Well, it's about 8 weeks away. Close enough that I thought it might be good to get suggestions from people as to things they'd like to see in this year's treasure hunt challenge. Any rule changes? Awesome topic suggestions? Random feedback? Go for it..

message 2: by Ruby , Mistress of Chaos (new)

Really? Nothing?

message 3: by Derek (last edited May 11, 2014 07:08AM) (new)

Derek (derek_broughton) | 782 comments Hey, we don't all see new threads immediately. Announce the new thread at the end of the old one, then anybody who was subscribed will see it.

message 4: by Riona (new)

Riona (rionafaith) | 457 comments Definitely need another fun challenge to motivate me! I've been seriously slacking on reading lately.

message 5: by Ruby , Mistress of Chaos (new)

Yep - me too! You missed out on the first part of last year's, didn't you? On your happy travels?

message 6: by caracal-eyes (new)

caracal-eyes | 33 comments Haven't done one of these before. Looking forward to it!

message 7: by Marc (new)

Marc (monkeelino) | 637 comments Mod
I was trying to think of away to individually challenge people more... Such as, "One book from a genre you've never read before"... Or, worse yet, "Go back to an author you disliked and try another of his/her books". That last one just sounds like it could be torturous.

That weaponize animal thing through me for a loop last year--I just happened to get lucky and pick a book that Derek informed me had weaponized animals in it!

message 8: by Riona (new)

Riona (rionafaith) | 457 comments Ruby wrote: "Yep - me too! You missed out on the first part of last year's, didn't you? On your happy travels?"

Yep, traveling definitely screwed up all my reading plans! I was still reading but it was more like whatever I could find on the hostel shelf... and it was hard to slot those in, most of the time.

I think I'm going to have the same problem this time around too because I'm going to be traveling during all of July and Ausgust. Oops. Maybe I just have to plan out more kindle books?

message 9: by Whitney (new)

Whitney | 1321 comments Mod
Weaponized animals was a pretty excellent one. I've been trying to think of things that can compete with that.

message 10: by Ruby , Mistress of Chaos (new)

Whitney wrote: "Weaponized animals was a pretty excellent one. I've been trying to think of things that can compete with that."

Yeah - me too! And the "hot tub and/or time machine" category too.

Riona - That's going to be tricky. I was planning to post the categories on 1 July. That wouldn't give you much lead-in time for a Kindle binge!

message 11: by Riona (new)

Riona (rionafaith) | 457 comments Ruby wrote: "Riona - That's going to be tricky. I was planning to post the categories on 1 July. That wouldn't give you much lead-in time for a Kindle binge!"

No worries! I'll figure it out. Who knows how much reading I'll get done then anyway -- don't know how many 12+ hour bus rides are in my future on this trip. Probably not so many as last time!

message 12: by caracal-eyes (new)

caracal-eyes | 33 comments Still looking for suggestions? Looking at the categories from last year, I had a few thoughts for possible variations:

- The book's title references an extinct animal.
- Original year of publication prior to 1800.
- Living/sentient (non-animal) weapon.
- Non-human main character.
- Set in an exceptionally inhospitable environment(desert, active volcano, deep underwater, alien planet, Australia, etc.)
- Autonomous body part(s)--a real-life example being Alien Hand Syndrome. (Not sure whether any books deal with that real condition...though I've read one involving a literal 'alien hand.') The only topic that comes to mind that might be a match for "weaponized animal." But probably not.
- Title is 3 or fewer letters in length.
- Features a person/creature/thing that is "the last (or only one) of its kind."

As you can probably tell from those suggestions, I read a lot of science fiction/fantasy. Though probably half those categories could apply to other genres in fiction or even non-fiction as well.

message 13: by Whitney (new)

These are great. I feel so inadequate.

message 14: by ChrisP (new)

ChrisP Poyner I can't wait this involves to of my favorite activities reading and fantasy sports.

One idea
-Books that involve the use of a baseball bat other than baseball.

message 15: by Marc (new)

Be forewarned: The Treasure Hunt is full-contact!

message 16: by caracal-eyes (new)

caracal-eyes | 33 comments Chris wrote: "I can't wait this involves to of my favorite activities reading and fantasy sports.

One idea
-Books that involve the use of a baseball bat other than baseball."

There we go. Weaponized sports equipment!

message 17: by Riona (new)

Riona (rionafaith) | 457 comments caracal-eyes wrote: "Still looking for suggestions? Looking at the categories from last year, I had a few thoughts for possible variations:

- The book's title references an extinct animal.
- Original year of publicati..."

Yeah, these are awesome! And I can think of books on my TBR for most of them...

message 18: by Ruby , Mistress of Chaos (new)

Caracal - those are great! They will definitely be part of the inspiration list! I'm particularly partial to the "3 letters or less" one. I like categories that allow for any genre.

message 19: by Derek (new)

Derek (derek_broughton) | 782 comments Does 1Q84 count as 1 letter (+ 3 digits)? If you go with that, you might want to make it "3 characters or less" (well, "fewer", but that's a lost cause…)

message 20: by Marc (new)

I was thinking about a books by multiple authors category (possibly bonus pts on top for multiple female authors since I imagine these are even harder to find although I haven't actually tested that theory).

message 21: by caracal-eyes (last edited May 23, 2014 09:18AM) (new)

caracal-eyes | 33 comments Derek (Guilty of thoughtcrime) wrote: "Does 1Q84 count as 1 letter (+ 3 digits)? If you go with that, you might want to make it "3 characters or less" (well, "fewer", but that's a lost cause…)"

Okay. If you want to get real technical here, I was thinking "3 characters or fewer," though that's just my thought on it, to make it a little more challenging. I've looked at a few lists, and there's at least 30 of 3 characters or fewer. Also, would the point value increase as title length decreases?

Though I'd probably have brought this up if someone else had just mentioned 'letters.' Actually kind of odd I gave any thought to the correct use of 'fewer' vs. 'less,' and missed 'letters' when "characters" would have neatly covered both letters and numbers... I actually am a tad annoyed now 'cause this happens all the time--I so often have the right word somewhere in my head, and just cannot for the life of me find it in the general chaos.

message 22: by Ruby , Mistress of Chaos (new)

Derek (Guilty of thoughtcrime) wrote: "Does 1Q84 count as 1 letter (+ 3 digits)? If you go with that, you might want to make it "3 characters or less" (well, "fewer", but that's a lost cause…)"

Good point(s)! I will totally keep that in mind.

message 23: by Ruby , Mistress of Chaos (new)

caracal-eyes wrote: "Derek (Guilty of thoughtcrime) wrote: "Does 1Q84 count as 1 letter (+ 3 digits)? If you go with that, you might want to make it "3 characters or less" (well, "fewer", but that's a l..."

...and if anyone is going to pick these errors up, it's Derek! :)

message 24: by Ruby , Mistress of Chaos (last edited Jun 01, 2014 07:59AM) (new)

Just tweaking the new list now. I'm going to sit with it for a couple of hours & see if anything else pops into mind. Last chance to come up with awesome categories..

[edit] Bahaha! I got my months mixed up! I must be in a bad way. Oh well, I'm super-prepared for the treasure hunt... which starts NEXT month. :)

message 25: by Marc (new)

it's never too early to prepare for the Treasure Hunt ;)

message 26: by Ruby , Mistress of Chaos (new)

Marc wrote: "it's never too early to prepare for the Treasure Hunt ;)"

Yeah, I'm actually really glad of the extra time. It's so hard to come up with these categories on demand. Much better to wait until inspiration strikes!

message 27: by Leo (new)

Leo Robertson (leoxrobertson) | 297 comments We HAVE to have a book that passes the Bechdel test: "Are there two women in it? Who talk to each other? About something other than a man?" found this article with 12 such books :) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06...

I'll do my best to participate this year!

message 28: by Amanda (new)

Amanda just posting so I can follow the thread for when the hunt is announced. I see last years hunt every time I check in and get excited as finding books for challenges is almost as good as reading them, then get disappointed when I see that it is over :(

message 29: by Ruby , Mistress of Chaos (new)

Leo wrote: "We HAVE to have a book that passes the Bechdel test: "Are there two women in it? Who talk to each other? About something other than a man?" found this article with 12 such books :) http://www.huffi..."

That's a brilliant category, Leo! Will definitely add it.

Cheryl - I did love The Mists of Avalon I got a copy for my 21st birthday & obsessed over it for years.

message 30: by Ruby , Mistress of Chaos (new)

Amanda wrote: "just posting so I can follow the thread for when the hunt is announced. I see last years hunt every time I check in and get excited as finding books for challenges is almost as good as reading them..."

I'm intending to post the new treasure hunt categories on 1 July, but I have some big stuff happening over the next couple of weeks, so people will definitely need to keep bumping the thread to remind me! Hopefully I'll have some news to share with people in the next day or so, and I can come clean about where I've been all this time too... bwhahahaha.

message 31: by Whitney (last edited Jun 22, 2014 01:06PM) (new)

Leo wrote: "We HAVE to have a book that passes the Bechdel test: "Are there two women in it? Who talk to each other? About something other than a man?" found this article with 12 such books :) http://www.huffi..."

I would have never thought that the Bechdel test would have much relevance to books, but sadly it may very well now that you bring it up. One would hope that any novel that didn't have a male, first-person narrator would pass. (And you left out the requirement that the two females are named characters as well, btw).

I think the list of books in the article goes a little too far in suggesting books that pass. The idea of the test isn't that woman's concerns are central, just that woman are present as something besides objects or foils for the male characters. Even a couple of woman discussing which eye-liner they prefer is enough to pass.

message 32: by Amanda (new)

Amanda I got excited as I logged in, thinking the new challenge was up, and then I saw the date :( I need to get planning!

;)

message 33: by Marc (new)

Ruby wrote: "I'm intending to post the new treasure hunt categories on 1 July, but I have some big stuff happening over the next couple of weeks, so people will definitely need to keep bumping the thread to remind me!
"

BUMP ;)

message 34: by caracal-eyes (new)

caracal-eyes | 33 comments Bump?

message 35: by Derek (new)

Derek (derek_broughton) | 782 comments This thread is getting as bumpy as the road in front of my house...

message 36: by caracal-eyes (new)

caracal-eyes | 33 comments Ba-bump.

message 37: by Marc (new)

Pretty sure our fearless leader has been in the middle of moving to a new home.

message 38: by Ruby , Mistress of Chaos (new)

I'm SO sorry guys. It has been a really full-on interstate move, which happened a lot more quickly than I anticipated. I've been managing the whole thing by the skin of my teeth - but Swank & I have now arrived safely in beautiful, sunny Darwin. I have a job to go to, and a roof over my head - even if I have no belongings, furniture or whitegoods and am camping on the floor - so I'm calling that a success!

For the record, I didn't forget about the treasure hunt - I even put an alarm on my calender, and added it to all my moving To Do lists! I did, however, unwittingly allow the removalists to pack up my list of categories. :(

I've also discovered that my lovely new house has no mobile reception, and broadband won't be installed until the end of the month. I have limited access to mobile broadband, but I'm having to ration that a bit too. My belongings arrive tomorrow, THANK THE GODS, so I should be able to post the list over the next few days.

Don't worry - we can still include books that were finished from 1 July - there will just be a slightly more random element to things without the categories being up first! :)

Again - I'm really sorry for the delay and lack of communication. It has been a really intense couple of weeks.

message 39: by Whitney (new)

No worries! It's good to have you back, however sporadic. Congratulations on your successful move from the middle of nowhere to the middle of nowhere!

message 40: by Marc (new)

Congrats, Ruby! Hope the new place and job work out great for you. Randomness is an essential part of chaos ;)

message 41: by Leo (new)

Leo Robertson (leoxrobertson) | 297 comments Good to hear from you again Roobs :)!

message 42: by Ruby , Mistress of Chaos (new)

I'm in! Most of my stuff has arrived, with the last load expected any day now. My new job is fabulous, Darwin is fantastic, Swank is starting to adjust after a bumpy start, my waterbed is filling up as we speak... and tonight I found my Treasure Hunt notes! I should be able to post the categories tonight.

THANKYOU all for your patience! :) x

message 43: by caracal-eyes (new)

caracal-eyes | 33 comments YAY! And congrats on the successful move! Happy it's working out for you.

message 44: by Derek (new)

Derek (derek_broughton) | 782 comments ALL'S RIGHT WITH THE WORLD!!!!

message 45: by Marc (new)

Before the categories go up, I'd just like to take this opportunity to brag about being in the lead. How do I know I'm in the lead? Well that really doesn't matter does it?!! I'd just like to enjoy first place until I'm officially unseated.

message 46: by Derek (new)

Derek (derek_broughton) | 782 comments You're certainly ahead of me.

message 47: by Marc (new)

Derek (Guilty of thoughtcrime) wrote: "You're certainly ahead of me."

Even sans rules/categories/points, I doubt it!

message 48: by caracal-eyes (new)

caracal-eyes | 33 comments ...bump...

message 49: by Riona (new)

Riona (rionafaith) | 457 comments I hope you're okay, Ruby! Crossing my fingers you haven't up and left goodreads...

message 50: by Ruby , Mistress of Chaos (new)

I'm still alive!! I'm so sorry I owe you (and myself) a proper treasure hunt!

I'm thinking of posting one over the weekend - IF anyone's still up for it? :)

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.