International Reads discussion

book discussions > May 2014 - In the Shadow of the Banyan Pre Reading Discussion

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mercedes (last edited May 03, 2014 06:10AM) (new)

Mercedes (mercysbookishmusings) | 103 comments Mod
Use this thread to chat about your plans to read the book and any relevant information you think might add to the enjoyment of the read!

message 2: by NoRa (new)

NoRa I never knew that there was genocide in Cambodia T_T. Thanks for sharing this book, I'm highly interested in reading it as well as the history.

message 3: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (glowingreviews90) | 19 comments If anyone is interested in further reading about the genocide in Cambodia might I recommend checking out First They Killed My Father: A Daughter of Cambodia Remembers. Very powerful memoir!

Brown Girl Reading I've read the first 100 pages and will continue to read straight through if I can. Beautiful writing style but not an easy subject to read about. I learned a lot about this subject when I moved to France. So I'm very familiar with it. The horrors of mankind. How are you guys coming along?

message 5: by Caterina (new)

Caterina | 3 comments I read the first 7 chapters then had to put it down. I just finished reading Maus before starting this book and reading two different accounts of genocide from two different parts of the world at two different parts of history was too much. But after cleansing my palette with some lighter graphic novels I feel ready and capable of finishing this book by Monday.

Brown Girl Reading Caterina you're good - 2 back to back because these types of novels are hard on the psyche. I totally understand why you took a break. Happy reading! Hope to finish a good portion of the book this weekend too.

message 7: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa | 2 comments Just bought the Kindle addition of this book, I will read it towards the end of the month.

message 8: by Irene (new)

Irene (nenitadinda) I got the book today so I'm excited to start reading