SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

General Discussion > Anybody have a Kindle Fire?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 2752 comments I'm thinking of getting one and I've been wondering... Do you have any other apps for reading besides Kindle? How do you organize books in the Kindle Fire?

message 2: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited May 03, 2014 07:47AM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 1976 comments I have so many tablets (Nexus, android ones, iPad, etc.) that will install all the reading apps including kindle that the amazon fire has never been something I wanted to try (plus to take advantage of some of their claims to better internet speed I don't like the privacy lost.).

Maybe the goodreads integration appeals (but that's also available on Paperwhite). The Fire does not have free 3G/Wispernet connection like other kindle devices (a big point against my purchasing) although will use your home wifi and other wifi hotspots.

Some kindle books or features — like library loans or the kindle lending library itself — require an actual kindle device versus kindle app. But that doesn't mean the kindle device has to be the fire.

With the exception of books (like craft patterns in color or certain textbooks) with lots of color or detailed illustrations, I loathe reading books on non-eInk devices including my friend's Fire and even the highest resolution screen. I have played with someone else's Fire enough to convince myself it gains me nothing in terms of kindle books over other kindle devices.

My prejudice for eInk versus backlit screens likely due to my eyes and may not apply to yours. But for me, backlit screens are tiring, strain the eyes, and I can easily read three times longer on eInk devices. As much as I loathe amazon, I have to concede their kindle eInk screens are the best for longterm reading.

The Paperwhites are not backlit screens. Pretty phenomenal lighting technology (smooth across page unlike splotchy book lights and reading lamps). I cannot figure out how to listen to audio books on the Paperwhite but could just be me.

Many of my favorite apps don't run on kindle and the security settings don't let me use some frequently used websites; but, that doesn't mean yours wouldn't work well (some of my favorite sites don't even have mobile options so the Fire is not the only tablet with issues with those sites). The kobo app is one that doesn't work without hacking — but, updates are issued all the time and it's been a couple of yeas since I bothered looking at Fire.

message 3: by Lee (new)

Lee | 357 comments I don`t know what part of the world your in, over here (UK) most
buy a tablet and pop the app on it.
Last christmas` must have was a Huddle (Which best buy)
large everything and reasonably priced,much cheaper than a
Kindle Fire and does so much more, as does most good spec
tablets.

message 4: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 2752 comments I'm in the US. Right now I have both an iPad2 and a Kindle Touch and I'm tired of juggling both, but I don't want to spend the money on the iPad Mini. So I'm going the cheap route with the Kindle Fire HD (which I can get pretty much for free with MR points).

I'd just would like to hear from someone who owns one and can tell me how they use it, etc.

message 5: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) | 2883 comments DG, mine just organize like on the iphone. So I sort them by author, recent, or title. There is also a "docs" option. Then there is a carousel on the front. But I have the second generation.

You can change the security settings, once I did that I could loan any app or go to any website I wanted. I think the browser on my older version is slower than the ipad. But mine is like 2 years old and there have been updates since.

The good thing about Amazon is you can return it in 30 days for a full refund. :)

message 6: by Nichole (new)

Nichole | 1199 comments I just got a Kindle Fire for Christmas. I'm pretty basic with my use, reading and searching the net. You can add 'collections' or shelves to organize your books, bookmarks for pages you use frequently, and I'm sure a lot more stuff that I just don't use. I add what I plan on reading soon to the carousel and just go from there usually. Pretty simple and it suits me perfectly.

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 1976 comments D.G. wrote: "I'm in the US. Right now I have both an iPad2 and a Kindle Touch and I'm tired of juggling both, but I don't want to spend the money on the iPad Mini. So I'm going the cheap route with the Kindle F..."

If you can get the amazon Fire (or any decent tablet) free with MR points -- I say go for it. At worst you'll get to play with a new toy.

Lanie (Lanies Book Thoughts) (lanieadamsk) | 29 comments I have a kindle fire hdx, the only way I know of organizing my books is by making collections. You have to manually find the books you want on your list tho, you can't just type titles in to find them. Otherwise, it's pretty awesome and for the price I think it's one of the better readers. I use mine for games/movies/reading and so on.

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 1976 comments I never checked out collections on the Fire.

I dislike the collections on eInk kindles because I already have more than 50 pages of just books and the collections lump into the individual books (increasing number of pages to scroll thru finding things).

It's been so long since I browsed amazon site or my kindle emails that I missed the notice of the publisher's settlement -- I have enough credit applied to my amazon account, too; so very glad this thread was started. No plans yet on what to use the credit for.

message 10: by Lis (new)

Lis | 3654 comments I have the Kindle Fire and it's my preferred reading device. I've had it for a couple of years so it's not a fancy version. I primarily use it for just reading and recently added the Audible app for pulling in a few whispersync books, but still like using my iPod for listening because of size and transport. I also have an iPad air to do all my web browsing, video streaming and games, so I use my Kindle just for reading. What's nice is everything is synced up, so what ever device or method I grab, if I have wifi they all take me to the part where I left off reading. On my older version of Fire, the web browsing is just not fast but doable.

message 11: by Lis (new)

Lis | 3654 comments Also, because I mainly have only books loaded... I have over 1300 kindle books loaded and still have only half of the memory used... I never bothered with removing from the device once read.