Guardian Newspaper 1000 Novels discussion

Les Liaisons dangereuses
This topic is about Les Liaisons dangereuses
Monthly Book Reads > May: Dangerous Liaisons

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 103 comments Mod
Dangerous Liaisons by Pierre Choderlos de Laclos won the vote for the category of 'Love' for our May read. Please feel welcome to join in the discussions with your thoughts.

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 184 comments Finished this. Not impressed at all. It felt as if it was written for shock factor only and without shock factor is was just meh!

Leslie | 825 comments Lisa wrote: "Finished this. Not impressed at all. It felt as if it was written for shock factor only and without shock factor is was just meh!"

Did you read this in English? If so, who was the translator?

Debbie I'm going to skip this as I read it as a 20 something and did love it.

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 184 comments Leslie wrote: "Did you read this in English? If so, who was the t..."

Yup. Ernest Dowson- it's the kindle freebie:-)

Karen I know the group has moved on from this, and I wish I could too! I am finding it incredibly slow going, like trodding through molasses. Not at all what I expected.
(I'm reading the Oxford World's Classics version, translated by Douglas Parmé.)

Phil (lanark) | 428 comments Don't worry, it picks up pace. Have to say, I loved it.

Leslie | 825 comments Lisa wrote: "Leslie wrote: "Did you read this in English? If so, who was the t..."

Yup. Ernest Dowson- it's the kindle freebie:-)"

I couldn't find a Kindle free version - is this from Amazon? The only free version I found was in French :(

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 184 comments Yup amazon

message 10: by Dennis (new)

Dennis Fischman (dfischman) | 130 comments See the 1988 movie version if you couldn't get through the book. Amazing cast: John Malkovich, Glenn Close, Michelle Pfeiffer, Uma Thurman, and Keanu Reeves, to mention only the top of the bill.

message 11: by Lisa (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 184 comments Dennis wrote: "See the 1988 movie version if you couldn't get through the book. Amazing cast: John Malkovich, Glenn Close, Michelle Pfeiffer, Uma Thurman, and Keanu Reeves, to mention only the top of the bill."

I'm convinced I saw this... But it's vague

message 12: by Phil (new) - rated it 5 stars

Phil (lanark) | 428 comments I agree with Dennis - that movie was an almost perfect adaptation, you lost very little from the novel.

Leslie | 825 comments Dennis wrote: "See the 1988 movie version if you couldn't get through the book. Amazing cast: John Malkovich, Glenn Close, Michelle Pfeiffer, Uma Thurman, and Keanu Reeves, to mention only the top of the bill."

I have seen the film. Since Lisa mentioned finding a public domain edition in English, I have been looking. Does anyone know if the "Dangerous Connections" on Project Gutenberg is this book?