Guardian Newspaper 1000 Novels discussion

Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit
This topic is about Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit
Monthly Book Reads > May: Oranges are Not the Only Fruit

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah | 103 comments Mod
Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit by Jeanette Winterson won the vote for the category of Family and Self. Feel welcome to join in the discussion with your thoughts.

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 184 comments I read this last week. I enjoyed the contrast between the story and the stories the character tells herself

Karen Just finished this morning. I thought it was pretty middle-of-the-road, and I don't think it will stick with me in any way.

I have wondered before if the power of stories about the struggle to come to terms with homosexuality is lost on us now. I thought this as well when I saw A Chorus Line for the first time and felt little more than a shrug for the piece de resistance monologue about his parents seeing him in drag. In 1975, that was a big deal, and it still was in 1985 when this book was first published.

But now it's no longer taboo in most our worlds; in fact, the struggles of homosexual youth are talked about a lot. So a story about being gay under the thumb of a conservative Christian mother just doesn't reverberate the way it used to.

Apart from that, I was not a fan of the inserted myths and stories. I understand their purpose, but, like the rest of the book, this technique didn't engage or excite me.

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 184 comments That's an interesting thought Karen. I think it may depend on the society of the reader though.