Concealed in Death (In Death, #38) Concealed in Death discussion

Do you think Roarke will ever go through what Eve went through in Innocent In Death?

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Chrome After 40 or so books, they seem pretty solid in their relationship now. They hardly fight or seem to have personal issues to sort out anymore imho.

After reading Innocent In Death, I kept waiting for the one book that will feature someone from Eve's past or someone new who will come into their lives and shake Roarke up a bit. Webster hardly counts at all imo, since he was never someone special to Eve-just a guy she spent a night with, and Roarke knew this and never really felt threatened, while Magdalena did hold a special place in Roarke's heart and Eve did feel threatened by her presence.

And now, 20 books later, I don't think that one guy is ever going to appear, from the look of things. And I don't think Nora Roberts would just whip that someone out just for the sake of evening the score between Eve and Roarke, so to speak.

Do you think there is a chance it will actually happen?

Calista I admit I have wondered about that, too. I wish it would. But the problem is that Eve has never indicated that she had any romantic notions before Roarke. She doesn't have any friends from her past even, let alone lovers. I was hoping that the last book involving the'lost girls' would strike some chord that gave us insight into Eve's teen and 20 years. And maybe someone who mattered.

Sarah You know, thinking about Eve the way her character has developed, I don't see it as realistic that there could have been anyone important to her. We know about her foster family and how awful that was, and we know how she met Mavis, and how they became close. Bringing in anyone else from the past would seem very contrived, I think.

Jane Carlson Concealed in Death sheds light on Eve's sexual/relationship past in a few, very short, sentences.

Kirsten How could anyone even compare???

SB*needs low angst books* That happened to Roarke in judgment in death with Webster.

Cheryl The people who are important to Eve currently seem to be the only people she's ever invested that much into. Even now, she's hardly comfortable with those feelings. I would find it hard to believe there was anybody that she cared enough about to bother Roarke.

Linda Craft Sbyrd64 wrote: "That happened to Roarke in judgment in death with Webster."

I agree, Roarke and Webster still do a little dance around that from time to time.

message 9: by Cindy (new) - added it

Cindy Eve was never close to anyone in the past. She was never willing to open up to anyone so I don't think it'll ever happen beyond the Webster incident. Like Kirsten pointed out: Who could possibly compare to Roarke?? If I could summon up my own Roarke I would've a long time ago lol.

Eve was a hard shell to crack from the get-go and Roarke was always the only man she let through so he's on more than solid ground. I think where we'll see conflict in the future is on the subject of children. Roarke doesn't seem to me to be closed to the idea whereas Eve would be utterly freaked out by the concept. Not sure is that's where Nora's headed with the storyline but at some point it'll have to come up again imho.

Linda Craft Cindy wrote: "Eve was never close to anyone in the past. She was never willing to open up to anyone so I don't think it'll ever happen beyond the Webster incident. Like Kirsten pointed out: Who could possibly co..."

If J.D. is going to go there I hope it is soon. the series is getting old. there are too many plots that are looking too much alike. I think that may be a way to end the series.

message 11: by Chrome (last edited Jan 16, 2015 11:22PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chrome Well, everyone seems to agree it's unlikely there's anyone from Eve's past given her character, so I'm waiting for maybe someone new who comes into Eve's life who maybe will shake Roarke up a bit (yes who can compare? But oh, well, imo no one can compare to Eve for Roarke as well but she can still feel threatened. Personally I've always felt Roarke cares more for her than she does him). I was kinda waiting for the likes of that moment in Ritual In Death when Eve met Dr Silas Pratt and how she thought he had great eyes that gave her a jolt and her heart jumped when they shook hands (ok, that probably was because he was a sensitive and was using mojo on her, but still.) Maybe someone like that who would play a part in a book like Magdalena did.

I'm really looking forward to Obsession in Death. Pretty sure Roarke's gonna flip his shit with this one(read the excerpt it's awesome).

Angela Verdenius I've just loved the character growth between Roarke and Eve. From Eve's mistrust and issues, to their differences, to what they both want. Now they're working together as such a team. *dreamy sigh*

message 13: by Mara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mara Pemberton Chrome wrote: "After 40 or so books, they seem pretty solid in their relationship now. They hardly fight or seem to have personal issues to sort out anymore imho.

After reading Innocent In Death, I kept waiting ..."

After basically reading or listening to the IN DEATH series, I don't think Eve ever had the VERY SPECIAL FIRST LOVE. I think Roarke's first love, before she was rapped and killed was Somerset's daughter. Don't remember her name.

SB*needs low angst books* Mara wrote: "Chrome wrote: "After 40 or so books, they seem pretty solid in their relationship now. They hardly fight or seem to have personal issues to sort out anymore imho.

After reading Innocent In Death, ..."

He never saw Marlana as a women. He saw her as a sister but she wanted more. The only one that came close was Magdalena.

Biate Wasn't Webster like Eves only boyfriend? Well boyfriend is too much of a title but u guys get what I mean. I dont think she ever had another love. I love though how Eve never stands down to Roarke. But Eve and Roarkes love is sweet and hot. So Im reading the next book and the next book cause HEA are just so awesome.

Kirsten Yeah, she admitted as much. She never even felt sex could be anything more than a release. She was flabbergasted that Webster felt that way and for a long time pissed Roarke off by asking him what he saw in her.