UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Past Group Book Discussions > Under Milk Wood - Dylan Thomas

Comments Showing 1-50 of 71 (71 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Simon (Highwayman) (last edited May 03, 2014 01:42AM) (new)

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments Under Milk Wood

IT's the 100th anniversary of Dylan Thomas's death and I am ashamed to say I have never read any of his work.

Under Milk Wood

message 2: by Will (new)

Will Once (willonce) | 4053 comments Great choice!

When you say "Under Milk Wood", I can't help thinking about the Richard Burton version...

Am I allowed to post this link?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuPO2...

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments Among Those Killed in the Dawn Raid Was a Man Aged a Hundred

When the morning was waking over the war
He put on his clothes and stepped out and he died,
The locks yawned loose and a blast blew them wide,
He dropped where he loved on the burst pavement stone
And the funeral grains of the slaughtered floor.
Tell his street on its back he stopped a sun
And the craters of his eyes grew springshots and fire
When all the keys shot from the locks, and rang.
Dig no more for the chains of his grey-haired heart.
The heavenly ambulance drawn by a wound
Assembling waits for the spade's ring on the cage.
O keep his bones away from the common cart,
The morning is flying on the wings of his age
And a hundred storks perch on the sun's right hand.

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments Will wrote: "Great choice!

When you say "Under Milk Wood", I can't help thinking about the Richard Burton version...

Am I allowed to post this link?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuPO2..."

Great link. Thanks. Richard Burton has a great voice

message 5: by Gwennypenny (new)

Gwennypenny Hmmm, I'm a lurker here and don't think I've ever posted, but am going to read Under Milk Wood and hope to join in on the discussion!

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments Great Gwen, you are welcome to lurk but I'm glad you popped your head up for the book this month.

message 7: by Bob (new)

Bob Summer | 153 comments I should read this. We studied it in school when I was about seven, I think. Waaaaay too young for Dylan Thomas. I wonder if schools still make young kids read things like this. Hope not.

message 8: by Jim (new)

Jim | 22034 comments Funny, I've never even thought of it as something to read, if I did I'd probably hear Richard Burton's voice :-)

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments I hope it doesn't morph into 'War of the worlds' half way through :)

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments I'll have to have Dave read it to me. It needs the welsh lilt.

message 11: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (cynthiaehurst) Jim wrote: "Funny, I've never even thought of it as something to read, if I did I'd probably hear Richard Burton's voice :-)"

I agree -- it's much better hearing it, preferably read by Welsh actors.

message 12: by Pam (last edited May 03, 2014 05:56AM) (new)

Pam | 9 comments We used to have a video of this in animated form with Richard Burton reading it. We taped it from the TV - I think the BBC was doing some sort of celebration of Dylan Thomas at the time. It was brilliant. I have never seen it repeated but perhaps with this anniversary they will show it again.

message 13: by Jim (new)

Jim | 22034 comments I remember seeing the video, I bet we recorded it as well

message 14: by David (new)

David Hadley | 4873 comments I've hear Burton doing it, can't remember where or when, but it may have been as an audiobook or BBC podcast.

message 15: by Jim (new)

Jim | 22034 comments I remember the LP of it they played for us at School!

message 16: by Will (new)

Will Macmillan Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 11721 comments There's a first edition paperback in the bookshop in Tenby. sadly without covers or it would be in my collection by now.

Images of Dylan Thomas' writing hut. What a place.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=dyl...

message 17: by Will (new)

Will Macmillan Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 11721 comments And there's presently a new version being recorded by the BBC, with Rhys Ifans amongst others

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Oh Rhys Ifans would do a brill job of it!

message 19: by Karen (new)

Karen Lowe | 2336 comments Aah, what a great choice. Hve a couple of recordings, and the Richard Burton one is wonderful. We went to Laugharne a couple of years ago, tide was out on the estuary and of course there was a heron... ('heron-priested') Just wonderful. Am a Swansea lass by birth so he is a bit of a hero of mine

message 20: by Will (new)

Will Macmillan Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 11721 comments BBC1 Wales. Tonight, 7 pm : Under Milk Wood.

message 21: by Will (new)

Will Macmillan Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 11721 comments For those who didn't see it:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/...

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments That's kind of you, Will.

Now tell me how I can see it.

message 23: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18543 comments Come back to the UK

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Few weeks yet. Doubt if it'll still be available.

message 25: by Jim (new)

Jim | 22034 comments Will wrote: "For those who didn't see it:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/..."

Had to give up on it :-(
Because of all the unnecessary hi-def graphics my poor broadband connection spent all its time buffering and I couldn't get the words :-(

message 26: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25093 comments Is anyone familiar with The Kipper Family? They are a spoof of The Copper Family - a travelling family of folk singers who saved traditional tracks from being lost. Allegedly. On a recording called 'Arrest these Merry Gentlemen' there's a track called 'Underwood's Milk' and it's a brilliant take-off of DT's style.

Youtube can't offer you a taste of it, I'm afraid.

message 27: by Will (new)

Will Macmillan Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 11721 comments Never mind, Jim. I believe there's a plan to let the inferior sais see it on the BBC regions next week.

Check the schedules.

message 28: by Karen (new)

Karen Lowe | 2336 comments Yay, that'll be great. Make a nice change to have a bit of culture on the Beeb

message 29: by Jim (new)

Jim | 22034 comments Will wrote: "Never mind, Jim. I believe there's a plan to let the inferior sais see it on the BBC regions next week.

Check the schedules."

no point, no telly :-)

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Karen wrote: "Yay, that'll be great. Make a nice change to have a bit of culture on the Beeb"

Oh? Showing Canadian content, are they? ;)

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Jim, can't you let the show download then watch it? That's what I do when I stream.

message 32: by Jim (new)

Jim | 22034 comments It depends Patti, sometimes the connection will break during the download, it can be bad enough trying to download a five or six meg file on the email

message 33: by Will (new)

Will Macmillan Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 11721 comments I thought they had 'fixed' your connection, Jim?

message 34: by Jim (last edited May 07, 2014 12:04AM) (new)

Jim | 22034 comments We used to get 1.6 meg. But it crashed and when they resurrected it we struggle to get 0.8meg, basically more and more people on the same wire. (And apparently because we have more and more people with 'superfast' broadband between us and the exchange that screws it as well :-(
People 1.3 miles from us as the crow flies are getting 40meg because they're rolling out fibre to the new estates but gods alone knows when they'll do the villages.
When they do the villages we might get 17 meg to the end of our lane and that should give us over 5 meg here

Perhaps

But I'm not holding my breath :-(

message 35: by B J (new)

B J Burton (bjburton) | 2914 comments Kath wrote: "Is anyone familiar with The Kipper Family? They are a spoof of The Copper Family - a travelling family of folk singers who saved traditional tracks from being lost. Allegedly. On a recording called..."

Yes! The Kippers are wonderful. I love Sid's song about the alphabet - full of very clever lines such as 'P is for phonetics that help you to spell'.
UMW is a great choice although I can't read it without falling into a pathetic imitation of Richard Burton.
Reading that this year is the 100th anniversary of Thomas' death made me feel very, very old.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Jim wrote: "We used to get 1.6 meg. But it crashed and when they resurrected it we struggle to get 0.8meg, basically more and more people on the same wire. (And apparently because we have more and more people ..."

I hope your charges have been reduced to reflect your crap connection.

message 37: by Jim (new)

Jim | 22034 comments Ha

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments I'd be demanding it.

message 39: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25093 comments I should have known you would be a Kippers fan, Barry!

message 40: by Jim (new)

Jim | 22034 comments Patti (baconater) wrote: "I'd be demanding it."

Actually with our line all they promise is one meg max anyway.

message 41: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18543 comments B J wrote: "Reading that this year is the 100th anniversary of Thomas' death made me feel very, very old. ..."

Why? Were you born the same year?

I've never heard of Dylan Thomas or Under Milk Wood before

message 42: by Will (new)

Will Macmillan Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 11721 comments !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 43: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18543 comments Don't act surprised Will, if it ain't Disney I don't know it, apart from a few better known musicals.

message 44: by Will (new)

Will Macmillan Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 11721 comments I'm just shocked you didn't do it at school.

message 45: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18543 comments I did that one with the pigs head, Lord of the Flies. The only other book I remember from school is one called friedrich.

message 46: by B J (new)

B J Burton (bjburton) | 2914 comments Jud (Disney Diva) wrote: "B J wrote: "Reading that this year is the 100th anniversary of Thomas' death made me feel very, very old. ..."

Why? Were you born the same year?

I've never heard of Dylan Thomas or Under Milk Wo..."

Not quite - but I was around when he died. It's actually the 100th anniversary of his birth. But I suspect you knew that and you're just teasing a confused old man. ;-)

message 47: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18543 comments :o)

Just a bit of banter between friends, BJ.

message 48: by B J (new)

B J Burton (bjburton) | 2914 comments And long may it continue. But you'll have to be gentle with me - it's two against one now!

message 49: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18543 comments I'll leave off for the rest of today then.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Buggerall.

Backwards.

« previous 1