UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Past Group Book Discussions > Brave New World - Aldous Huxley

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Simon (Highwayman) (last edited May 03, 2014 01:45AM) (new)

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments Brave New World

I read this years ago and decided it was time to revisit it.

"In Huxley's world the method of control is to program people to indulge only their most transitory and materialistic desires all of which can be fulfilled quite readily and in doing so suppress any idea that there "might be more to life than this" and this leaves the population with happy but trivial lives."

I am a candy crush addict - I know what he means!

Brave New World

message 2: by Darren (new)

Darren Humphries (darrenhf) | 6980 comments I saw the mini series and loved it, but I was much, much younger then. If I have the time I will fead it. It is a sci-fi classic after all.

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments They made a film as well if I remember correctly.

I've just put it on my Kindle. I am currently reading
Diceman so need to get that out of the way...

message 4: by Gwen (new)

Gwen McGinty (gwennypenny) I read this book a LOOOONG time ago, so I might try and give it a re-read this month :)

message 5: by Sam (new)

Sam Kates Oh, there are two books this month. I thought from Simon's message that we had to read Under Milk Wood twice. :-)

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments Oops. I should have checked that a bit closer shouldn't I?

Never mind, I only showed 4000 people that I am an idiot!

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Nothing we didn't already know.

message 8: by David (new)

David Hadley | 4873 comments Simon (Highwayman) wrote: "Brave New World

I read this years ago and decided it was time to revisit it."

I've read it at least twice, maybe three times. Haven't ever managed to finish any of his other books though.

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments I wonder how close we are to his vision. Not as far away as we would probably like to think.

message 10: by David (new)

David Hadley | 4873 comments Simon (Highwayman) wrote: "I wonder how close we are to his vision. Not as far away as we would probably like to think."

There probably is a lot of BNW in the modern world, maybe not the specific technology or other such details specifically, but there is a lot of quite similar attitudes, outlooks and ways of viewing the world in his characters and contemporary society. But then people change much slower than their technology.

message 11: by Karen (new)

Karen Lowe | 2335 comments Interesting choice. Read it rather a lot of years ago so it'll be good to revisit from a more trenchantly feminist aspect.