♥!The Young Adult Book Club!♥ discussion

To All the Boys I've Loved Before (To All the Boys I've Loved Before, #1)
This topic is about To All the Boys I've Loved Before
Group Reads > To All the Boys I've Loved Before

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer, The Paranormal One (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jennifer (ivashkovlover) | 3376 comments Mod
To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han

To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before is the story of Lara Jean, who has never openly admitted her crushes, but instead wrote each boy a letter about how she felt, sealed it, and hid it in a box under her bed. But one day Lara Jean discovers that somehow her secret box of letters has been mailed, causing all her crushes from her past to confront her about the letters: her first kiss, the boy from summer camp, even her sister's ex-boyfriend, Josh. As she learns to deal with her past loves face to face, Lara Jean discovers that something good may come out of these letters after all.

message 2: by Jennifer, The Paranormal One (new) - rated it 4 stars

I LOVED this book! Peter was such a great character. I was a bit let down but the ending but then excited once I knew there would be a sequel. Except I kind of liked where it ended. I just wanted a bit more than just Dear Peter... I needed to know they got back together. I hope Josh just remains friends with everyone. I didn't think he should get back with Margot. I totally knew right away it was Kitty that sent the letters. Later I kind of thought that maybe it had been someone who got the hat from Goodwill and sent them thinking maybe someone forgot them and wanted to do a nice thing but then when Kitty confessed I was like my first guess was right.

Fifth Horseman (fifthhorseman) Eh. Unfortunately, this wasn't my cup of tea. It was too middle grade for me. I loved Jenny's Summer series, but To All the Boys I've Loved Before just didn't do it for me. I've seen a lot of people get annoyed with Lara Jean's naive personality, but I actually liked her. What I didn't like was the lack of plot development and flat secondary characters (did not like Ken Peter). I'm still gonna read the sequel though, to see where this goes.

Jade B. | 3 comments Jennifer wrote: "I LOVED this book! Peter was such a great character. I was a bit let down but the ending but then excited once I knew there would be a sequel. Except I kind of liked where it ended. I just wanted a..."

I was thinking the same way about this book, and who sent the letters! I can't wait for the second book. (:

message 5: by Jennifer, The Paranormal One (new) - rated it 4 stars

A. wrote: "Eh. Unfortunately, this wasn't my cup of tea. It was too middle grade for me. I loved Jenny's Summer series, but To All the Boys I've Loved Before just didn't do it for me. I've seen a lot of peopl..."

I did think it felt a bit young but I still enjoyed it. I never read her Summer Series and never will. It sounded awful. A love triangle with two brothers. Yuck. I also read the ending and was really mad without even reading the series! I can't believe she would end up with that douche brother!

Fifth Horseman (fifthhorseman) Jennifer wrote: "A. wrote: "Eh. Unfortunately, this wasn't my cup of tea. It was too middle grade for me. I loved Jenny's Summer series, but To All the Boys I've Loved Before just didn't do it for me. I've seen a l..."

Don't judge me! x) I was 14 when I read her Summer series! I would have probably liked this one then as well and I agree, Connor was kind of douchey. But so is Peter! He was on his way to redeem himself but then the whole fiasco with the hot tub and how he handled it totally ruined him for me. And Genevieve. How could he have possibly ever liked Genevieve! BLEH

Lena | 31 comments I don't know if I will read this, BC I didn't care for the first book in the summer series, so I never read anything else by her. But I really like this cover, so might give it a try.

message 8: by Jennifer, The Paranormal One (new) - rated it 4 stars

A. wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "A. wrote: "Eh. Unfortunately, this wasn't my cup of tea. It was too middle grade for me. I loved Jenny's Summer series, but To All the Boys I've Loved Before just didn't do it for ..."

Yeah I'm anit douche and Peter was a little douchey but I felt like he was nice to Kitty and sweet to Lara Jean and had could intentions underneath some of his arrogance. I didn't think he handled the whole hot tub thing well but at the same time I think Lara Jean overreacted a little bit too. Kids are going to talk and in high school everyone is always wondering who went all the way and stuff like that. She should have stood up against Genevieve more and not let her see it bothered her. Obviously Genevieve probably started it to upset her. But I mean what all could Peter do? Stand up in front of the bus yell they didn't sleep together? People are going to think and gossip about it anyway.

And more about The Summer series

(view spoiler)

Trina (Between Chapters) (trinabetweenchapters) | 12 comments I loved this book so much! My younger self could definitely identify with Lara Jean. The only thing lacking in this book was getting to read all of the letters! But I'm just nosy.

message 10: by Jennifer, The Paranormal One (new) - rated it 4 stars

Trina wrote: "I loved this book so much! My younger self could definitely identify with Lara Jean. The only thing lacking in this book was getting to read all of the letters! But I'm just nosy."

Yeah I was mad we didn't get all 5! I especially wanted to hear the one to Josh. We only got to hear the one to Peter, her camp guy, and to the gay guy right? We didn't hear the one to Josh or that guy she went to see in the end. I'm thinking that guy might come up again and maybe we will hear those last two in the next book.

Trina (Between Chapters) (trinabetweenchapters) | 12 comments Jennifer wrote: "Trina wrote: "I loved this book so much! My younger self could definitely identify with Lara Jean. The only thing lacking in this book was getting to read all of the letters! But I'm just nosy."

Y..."

Correct. We were missing Josh's and the Model UN guy's. I hope they will come up in the sequel too!

Hajar (jarahs) | 4 comments i was very dispointed when i read the summer i turned pretty the ending killed all the books for me hope in this one the ending will be more clear , anyway i loved this book i read it in one night and went to school thinking about it and wanting to write letters and send them to all the boys who never knew i existed lol

Melat | 1 comments The book was so amazing!!! However it did not really end the way I expected it, but I'm so happy there will be a sequel

message 14: by Pat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pat (alwaystofu) | 3 comments I love the book so much! Peter was a bit meh, but he was cute. I like him with Lara Jean. The ending was unexpected though. And yay, there's a sequel. Actually wrote a review here http://alwaystofu.blogspot.com/2014/0...

message 15: by Jennifer, The Paranormal One (new) - rated it 4 stars

I met Jenny Han tonight and she said the sequel will include the letter to the model UN guy and more about him....which has me worried cause I want her with Peter!

Shabyra | 3 comments Jennifer wrote: "I LOVED this book! Peter was such a great character. I was a bit let down but the ending but then excited once I knew there would be a sequel. Except I kind of liked where it ended. I just wanted a..."

i was going to write a comment on this book but you already said all that wanted to say and i really think that there's going to be something that happens in the sequel which involves the model UN guy. i'm predicting it's gonna be Peter-Lara Jean-Model UN guy in the second book instead of Peter-Lara Jean-Josh.

message 17: by Jennifer, The Paranormal One (last edited May 21, 2014 08:17PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

I keep meaning to look up his name cause I keep talking about him. Jon or something?!?!! LOL

It is John! I looked it up. Anyway his letter will show up in the next book so there will prob be a love triangle with Lara Jean/Peter/John which will piss me off.

Heather  (heatherifique) | 5 comments I need Peter's POV in the next book.

Tracey (addicted_to_reading) Even though Lara Jean's voice kinda annoyed me with how young she sounded, I still liked this book a lot. The romance between her and Peter was so cute and sweet. I hate the way this book ended, I would have liked it better if she had showed up on Peter's doorstep or called or something. That ending just leaves me wanting more and I won't get it until next year. And that just sucks lol

Irena BookDustMagic | 54 comments i fell in love with peter but i was dissapointed in him. i mean, sneaking from his ex girlfriend's house was dissrespectful for lara jean. but at the same time he had the nerve to point his finger at her spending time with josh.
i think he still have feelings for his ex. he told lara he will always care for his ex and that it has nothing to do with her and i think it was lame.
i hope this guy we have to meet in the second book will be better then peter and lara would.end up with him but i am sure it won't be like that since we only met him for few seconds in this book.

Sarah (saraahxo) | 5 comments I loved this book. It's truly the perfect summer read everything about it put me in a good mood; to me it was such an uplifting book.
As for the summer I turned pretty I liked it but didn't love it cuz it had one of my biggest book pet peeves which is pining over a guy. I cannot express how much I hate it when girls just won't get over a guy it's so frustrating, but then again I shouldn't judge since I've never been in love but I truly wouldn't wanna read a book where a girl was with a great guy and she was pining over her "first love" like get over it already.
Alright, I'm gonna shut up now.

Trista (islandgeekgirl) | 4 comments It was really cute and a great book for reading while sitting outside on the back deck in the sun. I really liked the sisterly relationships both when they got along and when they fought because it was real to me as someone who has three sisters. It felt like we only got a brief glimpse into Peter's life so hopefully we get more in the next book because it definitely felt like there's something going on there.

message 23: by Jennifer, The Paranormal One (new) - rated it 4 stars

Trista wrote: "It was really cute and a great book for reading while sitting outside on the back deck in the sun. I really liked the sisterly relationships both when they got along and when they fought because it..."

Yeah I wanted to learn more about Peter and his home life as well. I felt like we only got small glimpses.