Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > april 2014 - sandi

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 1168 comments Another slow month. Did not even manage to finish reading a single book. Too much NBA on TV. Here are my April reads:

Good Reads

Junkyard Dogs (Walt Longmire, #6) by Craig Johnson Junkyard Dogs
Craig Johnson
A bit lighter than the previous books in the series with lots of quirky characters and some pretty far out situations. The Wyoming winter setting was bone chilling and the narration of the audio, by George Guidall, was topnotch.

Morgue Drawer Next Door by Jutta Profijt Morgue Drawer Next Door
Jutta Profijt
Crime fiction's oddest team are back for a second time. I wondered how a follow-up story would work but was pleasantly surprised. Pascha and Martin are still engaging characters and the plot perked along quite nicely. Listened to the audio version once again read by MacLeod Andrews who does a great job with Pascha's first person narration.

OK Read

The Professionals (Stevens & Windermere, #1) by Owen Laukkanen The Professionals
Owen Laukkanen
While this thriller was not terrible I was fairly underwhelmed. The plot became less plausible as the book went on and I never did really warm to any of the characters. Listened to the audio version and the reader, Edoardo Ballerini, was quite good and was the main reason I finished the book.

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14089 comments Sandi: The NHL playoffs are wreaking havoc with my print reading too! I have The Professionals lined up on audio, but haven't gotten around to it, looks like I don't need to rush.
Morgue Drawer Next Door looks really good! I suppose I should read the first one... ;)

Sandi wrote: "Another slow month. Did not even manage to finish reading a single book. Too much NBA on TV. "

message 3: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments Damn sports! Carol, oh Carol?

message 4: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3581 comments Yes, Wyoming is a good place NOT to be in winter! With the Avs out of the playoffs I'm good with sports for awhile.

message 5: by Dan in AZ (last edited May 03, 2014 09:22AM) (new)

Dan in AZ | 2608 comments Sandi wrote: "Another slow month. Did not even manage to finish reading a single book. Too much NBA on TV. Here are my April reads:

So you finished listening to 3 books but didn't finish reading any? Is that right? You can tell I'm easily confused.

message 6: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 1168 comments Daniel wrote:

"So you finished listening to 3 books but didn't finish reading any? Is that right? You can tell I'm easily confused. "

Yes, I was going to qualify it as page reading but with e-books that did not seem quite accurate either. I should have gone with Ann's print reading explanation.

Ann wrote: "Morgue Drawer Next Door looks really good! I suppose I should read the first one... ;)"

Even though I am a biased RIO I do think the first book in this series should be read first since it sets up the unique situation the characters find themselves in.

message 7: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 1168 comments Melodie wrote: "Yes, Wyoming is a good place NOT to be in winter! With the Avs out of the playoffs I'm good with sports for awhile."

Hopefully the Pacers won't join the Avs on the sidelines. The past couple of months have been maddening. They started out so well but something happened around the All-Star break and it seems the entire team has forgotten how to play together.

message 8: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14089 comments Sorry Melodie! since we were out even earlier(and I am sad the Av's didn't move to the next round!) We are still watching the playoffs, no dog in the hunt either way. I am just going to be glad when the field is reduced and maybe a few of the games don't go to overtime and overlap all over the place. :)
Melodie wrote: "Yes, Wyoming is a good place NOT to be in winter! With the Avs out of the playoffs I'm good with sports for awhile."

message 9: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3581 comments Ann wrote: "Sorry Melodie! since we were out even earlier(and I am sad the Av's didn't move to the next round!) We are still watching the playoffs, no dog in the hunt either way. I am just going to be glad whe..."

Ed's still rooting for the Habs, so he's still watching for now. He was a Montreal fan when he was growing up.

message 10: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments My Blackhawks are still in, but sadly have been playing later games and it is hard to stay up til midnight, and heaven forbid anything go into overtime!

message 11: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14089 comments Too much Overtime Liz! and too little reading. I did finish a print library book and then abandon another, does that count as print reading? :)

message 12: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7684 comments LizH wrote: "Damn sports! Carol, oh Carol?"

Ha! Not so fast with the celebrating, Liz! (on both our parts, unfortunately)

message 13: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7684 comments Melodie wrote: "Ed's still rooting for the Habs, so he's still watching for now. He was a Montreal fan when he was growing up. ..."

Tsk-tsk. And I was growing so fond of Ed....