The Undead Pool (The Hollows, #12) The Undead Pool discussion


50 views
Excellent finish to an amazing book

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lauren There's still one more book in this series, The Witch With No Name.


Kevin Did you really enjoy this book?

Didn't it seem to go a little off the deep end to you?

Most of the characters in this series did a total 180 on their character traits.


Lauren I did enjoy it. I think the "180s" as you've so aptly described it comes from the growth of the characters throughout the series. Both Trent and Rachel had to change if they we're going to be in any kind of relationship. Trent's realization that he was never going to be what the elvish society needed him to be as a leader because of his true thoughts and feelings was destined to happen. He couldn't stay in the elvish predetermined box that he was groomed for his entire life. Rachel, on the other hand, has always been reckless in life and in love. With the exception of Kisten, all of the men in Rachel's life wanted to use her for some purpose or another. Rachel is head strong and charges face forward into any fight. I think the development of their relationship over the last few books showcases how Trent and Rachel's personalities compliment each other so well. They are yin and yang. Rachel has definite feelings for Trent but as KH has states in a discussion about the final book "The Witch With No Name" he isn't her reason for living and for dying. The cover itself is ominous of their relationship because Trent is either waiting on Rachel or in stand off with her. Ultimately, I think they'll end up together, but how much damage will have to be done in order to achieve that remains to be seen.


Kevin Wow Lauren..... just wow....

I don't want to be crass or anything but you do remember/know that this book started off as an Urban Paranormal Fantasy, with a little "love" to spice things up.

Now it's a Paranormal Romance; I don't know about you but when I started this book years ago I stayed for the Magic(and AL) now, it's a romance book with less magic(at least Demonic) and more screaming of how someone kidnapped babies.


message 5: by Lauren (last edited Jun 05, 2014 12:52PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lauren While the magic and action was more upfront at the beginning of the series, the "love" was always still there. Rachel has always had the desire for needing to be loved. It's always been one of the themes of this series so the fact that you feel that this series has transitioned more into the PNR genre is a little confusing to me. Sure, UF has a little more action and adventure as the forefront story it still has it's PNR roots. Nearly every author I've read in the last few years has tiptoed the fine line between PNR and UF so KH's series doing the same shouldn't be that much of a surprise.


Kevin Lauren wrote: "Nearly every author I've read in the last few years has tiptoed the fine line between PNR and UF so KM's series doing the same shouldn't be that much of a surprise.
..."


That may be true but Kim didn't get the knack down, because she crossed the line years ago.

I used to recommend this series to anyone that asked for a good fantasy series, I stopped. I'm kinda, ashamed might be too strong a word but I don't like where the series has gone.


Laura Lauren wrote: "While the magic and action was more upfront at the beginning of the series, the "love" was always still there. Rachel has always had the desire for needing to be loved. It's always been one of the ..."

I agree with you. I don't think the romance is a huge part of the books, but it has always been there. Sometimes I even wish there was a little more. Sorry to the dudes out there! It's more about Rachel becoming who she is destined to be. The mystics thing was a little strange. But I still feel like this series has only gotten better with every book.


wayword_witch Kevin wrote: "Lauren wrote: "Nearly every author I've read in the last few years has tiptoed the fine line between PNR and UF so KM's series doing the same shouldn't be that much of a surprise.
..."

That may ..."


I hear what you say about the romance thing Kevin. TUP isn't one of my fav's. It's the only book in the series that I haven't been able to reread. I have high hopes for The Witch With No Name though. Hopefully now that Rachel's HEA is outta the way, the feel of the book will be less...mushy.


Tasha I agree with Laura. Kim has always given the book a bit of romance and I for one am glad that she has finally made Rachael and Trent a couple. I got tired of the other books alluding to the fact that he was cute but wouldn't want her. What girl wants to feel like that all the time? Now I agree, I would have preferred her to do more magic but overall I was happy with the way things turned out. And I was disappointed in Al but I think he fell in love with Rachael and wanted her for himself. And who wants glad Elisabeth didn't get Trent or the girls? I was.


Kevin Tasha wrote: "And I was disappointed in Al but I think he fell in love with Rachael and wanted her for himself. And who wants glad Elisabeth didn't get Trent or the girls?..."

I read the series for the Magic and World Building, not the romance. I could care less that Elisabeth didn't get Trent or the girls.

I wanted to see:
Rachel fix Ivy's soul problem, better herself in magical study
Less description of Trent's hair and what it would be like if it was touched
Less description of Trent's suit/jeans/shirt/shoes
An expansion of the world that Rachel is living in
Less ramblings about Trent's kids
Less ramblings about demon "babbys" that were cried about in the previous book
Nick dead and not hear about some idiocy that leaves room for him to escape
Less Trent
More of Rachel making "environs" where the demons could reside
Kim stop taking advice from fans who just want to ship characters
etc etc etc etc


back to top