YA Apocalyptic and Dystopian Fiction discussion

Archived > Distopalyptic - where Dystopia meets Apocalyptic?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bryce (new)

Bryce Touchstone (brycetouchstone) | 6 comments Well g'day mates!(said with a Mississippi accent my fellow local Aussies still snicker at, even after 5 years) I am writing a dystopia/apocalyptic(dystopalyptic) book series based in the near future, with the first one due out this December. But, am I here to push my books upon you? Hell no.

In fact, what I would like is a group discussion on some things that's been sort of bothering me for a while now regarding dystopias and apocalyptic books: apocalyptic books seem to *almost* exclusively depict a complete societal collapse within the first few chapters, with hardly any lead-up; and the dystopias that I've read hardly ever seem to end with some apocalyptic event.

The question(s): Does dystopalyptic genre actually exist, or could it? Ie., is it possible to have a book series that starts out dystopia and transitions into apocalyptic?

Not that that's what my book series will do or anything... :)

Cheers!
Bryce

message 2: by Sally (new)

Sally Hannoush | 3 comments Well of course there is such a thing! Anything is already out there or soon will be :)

message 3: by Jane (last edited May 03, 2014 08:26PM) (new)

Jane (janeinri) | 129 comments That's an interesting question! I would say that often an apocalyptic event is the prelude to the dystopian society (normal government and society collapse because of some cataclysmic event; dystopian government/society grows out of trying to bring order to chaos). I suppose there certainly could be an apocalyptic event in a dystopian society - why not? I just like to imagine it the other way around - tomorrow there is a solar storm, or Yellowstone erupts, or nuclear war breaks out, or a virus is loosed on the world...and then...what happens? Having the apocalyptic event and then the dystopian society is more real for me, and what I enjoy reading.

If something is well written, say "dytopalyptic", why not? I would read it.

message 4: by Cheer (new)

Cheer Papworth (cheerest) | 390 comments It's seems to me that books dealing with a world or nuclear war tend to have more of a lead up versus a cataclysmic event, contagion or economic collapse. Realistically, the later three could happen almost overnight, so I understand a lack of thorough build up. For example, in Mike Mullins Ashfall Series, a super volcano leads to an apocalypse and it all begins from the first chapter.

I like your idea of a dystopian novel that transitions into an apocalypse (I think of the fall of the Roman Empire). The Sovereign Series (BOTM April) deals with a dystopian society recently built after a world apocalypse.

I'd love to see what you do with your hybrid genre.

message 5: by Bryce (last edited May 04, 2014 03:43AM) (new)

Bryce Touchstone (brycetouchstone) | 6 comments Thanks everyone for your input! Jane, that's a very interesting-and very good-point about having an apocalyptic event prior to the setup of a dystopian society, and it could totally happen. In my book series, however, it is the opposite(without giving too much away).

Cheer that's interesting that you point out that different collapse types seem to either come before or after the dystopian society; haven't thought about that. And Sally I agree, if it doesn't exist by now it's only a matter of time.

How about I give you a bit of a preview of what I have thus far?

I have done the GIS(geographic) analysis for my world building and have redrawn every national mainland boundary on earth based on how things occur in my near-future world. The maps for North America are the top post on my blog currently:
http://thirstygeographyseries.blogspo...

I also have a Prologue/first 3 chapters preview available:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fz6kildhgnq...

My dystopia is also a bit different from most dystopias I have read in that it is not confined to one nation or continent; it literally takes place on every continent on earth. And as such, it takes quite a lot of space, with a lot of characters! As this is my debut novel, it will be very interesting to see how it all goes.

I welcome feedback/criticism. Also wouldn't mind keeping the discussion going!

.Bryce