YAholics Anonymous! discussion

Archives > May's Book of the Month - Just One Day by Gayle Forman

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 3369 comments Mod
Please join us this month in reading Just One Day by Gayle Forman

Just One Day (Just One Day, #1) by Gayle Forman

Synopsis: From the New York Times bestselling author of If I Stay...

Allyson Healey's life is exactly like her suitcase—packed, planned, ordered. Then on the last day of her three-week post-graduation European tour, she meets Willem. A free-spirited, roving actor, Willem is everything she’s not, and when he invites her to abandon her plans and come to Paris with him, Allyson says yes. This uncharacteristic decision leads to a day of risk and romance, liberation and intimacy: 24 hours that will transform Allyson’s life.

A book about love, heartbreak, travel, identity, and the “accidents” of fate, Just One Day shows us how sometimes in order to get found, you first have to get lost. . . and how often the people we are seeking are much closer than we know.

The first in a sweepingly romantic duet of novels. Willem’s story—Just One Year—is coming soon!

You don't have to participate in the Group Read - it's entirely up to you, but if you read the book along with us or have already read it, we would love to hear your comments, questions, thoughts, etc. That's what makes the Group Read fun! Please keep from posting too many spoilers early in the month, though, as people might still be reading it. If you feel that you might "spoil" a part of the book by commenting, be sure to put something like "***Spoiler Alert***" or something to let others know to read at their own risk! And make sure to have fun!

message 2: by Brittany (new)

I'm eager to read this one! It'll be my first Gayle Forman book.

Just to be clear, I can read this book without having read If I Stay, right!?!

message 3: by Riya (new)

Riya | 753 comments Mod
I just got this book from the library :D

And yeah they're unrelated :)

message 4: by Brittany (new)

Awesome! It's another book I'll have to squeeze in this month.

Lol, Buddy Read? XD

message 5: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina (sabrina_paul) | 6 comments I love this book! Well, I love all of her books. She writes them in duos, it's really cool. I suggest her others as well!

message 6: by Riya (new)

Riya | 753 comments Mod
Haha sure Brittany!

message 7: by Brittany (new)

Getting this book today from a friend! Can't wait to see what all the hubbub is about. :)

message 8: by Riya (new)

Riya | 753 comments Mod
Yay!!!

message 9: by Brittany (new)

Just started this one today! I wasn't able to get far, due to work but I hope to get a good deal read on Monday, when I'm off.

I'm about 30 pages in, but I'm loving it so far. I've been in the mood for contemporary lately. :)

message 10: by Riya (new)

Riya | 753 comments Mod
I'll start it today too then :)

message 11: by Brittany (last edited May 14, 2014 02:20AM) (new)

Slowly making my way through this one. I'm really trying to like the characters, but Willem seems too preachy and Alyssa just gets on my nerves with all her complaining.

Biotch, you're parents paid for a tour of Europe and you're COMPLAINING about it? >:(

message 12: by Riya (new)

Riya | 753 comments Mod
I just finished it. I actually really liked it! Haha I kinda related to Allyson but yeah I can get what you mean Brittany :P

message 13: by Brittany (new)

Well, I'm only 100 pages in; perhaps I'll change my mind. I actually hope so - everyone seems to love this book and Gayle Forman. I'd hate to be in the minority. :/

message 14: by Riya (new)

Riya | 753 comments Mod
Haha to make you feel better: "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~Mark Twain

message 15: by Brittany (new)

Well.... I've got past part one. ^.^;;

To be fair, I've worked the past three days so I haven't had much time to read. :/

But I'm off tomorrow! I hope to read it all - even if it kills me, lol.

message 16: by Riya (new)

Riya | 753 comments Mod
Haha nice Brittany. Just a warning- I preferred Part one to Part two....

Have fun on your day off!!!

message 17: by Brittany (new)

Okaaay. What kinda ending was that? Did she just forget to write in the last couple chapters?

message 18: by Cassie (new)

Cassie (cannefrye) | 226 comments Mod
She is writing a novella that sort of ties all those loose ends (lol): Just One Night

message 19: by Brittany (new)

Lol, well, I guess she finally decided to write the last few chapter. XD

message 20: by Riya (new)

Riya | 753 comments Mod
Haha yeah- I'm about to start the second book cause that ending was just what...

message 21: by Brittany (new)

I might just end up reading the novella; hopefully it'll explain some more. I'm just too fed up with it to read the sequel, lol. Luckily, it wasn't so much the writing as it was the main character and the scenario of the book. I just found it a little too unrealistic.

I mean, seven billion people in the world and you manage to track down ONE without knowing where he lived or his last name? -__- I'm just not buying it.

But that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy her writing. I found it very descriptive and almost poetic at times. I'm going to give If I Stay a try at some point.

message 22: by Riya (new)

Riya | 753 comments Mod
Haha I'll let you know how the sequel is Brittany :)

Yeah that's a good point :P

If I Stay is amazing- totally worth reading!!

message 23: by Brittany (new)

That's good to know! I've been meaning to read If I Stay for a long time, but - alas - so many books. XD

message 24: by Riya (new)

Riya | 753 comments Mod
Haha- the eternal struggle!!

message 25: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Brittany, I felt the EXACT same way! I loved the author's writing style and her word choices, etc. And I think it is a great story about growing up, feeling lost and finding your way. However, I felt like the story was about a "first world problem" so to speak. The main character did have problems and did have a very controlling mother, but she was so very privileged in so many different ways that sometimes I just wanted to smack her and be like--wake up, you are so fortunate! A guy isn't worth destroying your whole life over, especially from what little she knew about him. I realize that when you are that age, you have to learn these things (much like Lauren Conrad, I too, turned down a trip to Europe for a boy, and yeah... we all know how that worked out...), but still, I kept wanting to tell her to get her crap together. That she was better than that. Anyway, I have the sequel, but I just don't know that I care enough to read anything from Willem's perspective. We'll see.

That said, I have read If I Stay and I thought that book was absolutely amazing. I basically read that book in one sitting--I couldn't put it down. So you should definitely check that one out when you get the chance.

message 26: by Brittany (new)

Haha! Yes, Heidi! I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt that way. XD