Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Melodie's April 2014 Reads

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melodie (last edited May 02, 2014 06:30PM) (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3597 comments So far this year I'm staying at 9 books a month pretty consistently. Need to be hitting about 10 to make my challenge for this year!

A Tough Nut to Kill by Elizabeth Lee A Tough Nut to Kill by Elizabeth Lee: 1st in new Nut House series and I just really liked this one. Hit all the right notes for me and the main characters grandmother reminded me of Dove in the Benni Harper books. Looking forward to the next in this series! Grade: 9.5

Murder Sends a Postcard (A Haunted Souvenir Shop Mystery #3) by Christy Fifield Murder Sends a Postcard by Christy Fifield: 3rd in Haunted Souvenir Shop series. This is another cozy series that has quickly become one I look forward to. The mysteries are always good and I love Bluebeard the parrot! Grade: 8.5

Cross Stitch Before Dying An Embroidery Mystery (An Embroidery Mystery, #6) by Amanda Lee Cross Stitch Before Dying: An Embroidery Mystery by Amanda Lee: 6th in Embroidery Shop series and the last one for me. The main character has become far too one-dimensional and the only character I like is the dog, Angus! Grade: 4

Death Come Quickly (China Bayles, #22) by Susan Wittig Albert Death Come Quickly by Susan Wittig Albert: 22nd China Bayles and another strong read. She's going to have to go a ways to top last year's WIDOW TEARS, which I think is the best thing she's written, but a visit with China and all the folks in Pecan Springs is always time well spent. This one involves a VERY cold case and possible art forgery. Grade: 8.5

Independent Study (The Testing, #2) by Joelle Charbonneau Independent Study by Joelle Charbonneau: 2nd in The Testing Trilogy. This is another of those 2nd book letdowns that seems so common in most of these YA dystopian trilogies. I love this writer and I have every confidence that she'll knock my socks off with the final book which comes out in June. Grade: 6.5

Down These Strange Streets by George R.R. Martin Down These Strange Streets edited by George R.R. Martin and Gardner Dozois: I'm always a sucker for these urban fantasy anthologies. Pretty much par for the course. A few standout stories, some not bad and some I didn't bother with. The Charlaine Harris story wasn't bad. Set in the Sookie Stackhouse world, but no Sookie, Eric, Bill, et al. The Simon Green Nightside story was very mediocre. The stories by Carrie Vaughn & Patricia Briggs were both very good as they dealt with favorite characters from Vaughn's Kitty Norville world and Briggs' Mercy Thompson books. I liked Diana Gabaldon's Lord Jim story though I was completely unfamiliar with the character. You could definitely do worse for some reading to while away some time. Grade: 6.5

Easter Bunny Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #19) by Leslie Meier Easter Bunny Murder by Leslie Meier: 19th in Lucy Stone series. This series is all over the place. Some haven't been bad, but others have just been mediocre at best. This one was one of those. Meier was the AOM on one of my cozy boards and I had this one so since it was Easter I decided to give it a shot. It wasn't awful and dealt with elder abuse and how your past can definitely come back to haunt you. Grade: 5

Pearls and Poison by Duffy Brown Pearls and Poison by Duffy Brown: 3rd in Consignment series and these books just really make me laugh! In some ways they could give Stephanie Plum a run for her money. In this one the main character's mother, a judge, is running for alderman and is framed for her opponent's murder. There are some really great colorful characters in these books and the mysteries are pretty good, too. Grade: 8

Sugar and Iced (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #6) by Jenn McKinlay Sugar and Iced by Jenn McKinlay: 6th in Cupcake Bakery series and a favorite of mine. I really love these characters and the writing style. It appears the dreaded triangle may be tied up pretty quickly (it just came about in the previous book), so if she takes care of that little hiccup she'll be completely back in my good graces! Grade: 7.5

I really wanted to get MISSING YOU read last month, but oh well! Maybe in May! Though I have the new Spenser book by Ace Atkins sitting at the top of The Pile calling my name quite loudly!

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14273 comments Good month Mel! I'll have tho check out the consignment series since it makes you laugh. I can use something like that! The new China Bayles sounds good too.
Melodie wrote: "So far this year I'm staying at 9 books a month pretty consistently. Need to be hitting about 10 to make my challenge
Pearls and Poison by Duffy Brown: 3rd in Consignment series and these books just really make me laugh! In some ways they could give Stephanie Plum a run for her money."

message 3: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2626 comments Nice month, Melodie.

message 4: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments Several look interesting and will probably be added to TBR mountain!

message 5: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1606 comments Oh Melodie, you have to stop adding to my TBR pile :) I need to get the Elizabeth Lee Book for sure. I agree with your China Bayles review and the Embroidery Shop review too!

message 6: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7808 comments So impressive, nine or ten a month. Good for you!

message 7: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3489 comments looks like a good amt this month.