Christian Fiction Bloggers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.

Comments Showing 1-50 of 68 (68 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (last edited May 19, 2014 11:27AM) (new)

Megan (celtic_girl) | 6293 comments Mod
[image error]

Team Captain: ?

Members:
Abbi
Caitlyn
Irene

Danie - dropped out

LINK to score sheet.

message 2: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new)

Categories
Detailed information for each category can be found under the spoiler next to the category.

1. Title (view spoiler)
2. Main Female Character (view spoiler)
3. Main Male Character (view spoiler)
4. Secondary Female character (view spoiler)
5. Secondary Male Character (view spoiler)
6. Author (view spoiler)
7. Location (view spoiler)
8. Animal (view spoiler)
9. Main Character's Occupation (view spoiler)
10. Color (view spoiler)
11. Adjectives (view spoiler)
12. Goodreads Shelf (view spoiler)

The letters: A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M, N, O, P, R, S, T, and W

message 3: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new)

Dates categories will be called:
Monday - 5/5
Thursday - 5/15
Monday - 5/26
Thursday - 6/5
Monday - 6/16
Thursday - 6/26

In order for books to qualify for the team bonus point, the review must be posted in your team thread by 11:59 pm Pacific Time on the day the next category is called.

message 4: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new)

Book Requirements:

❀Must be 150+ pages.
❀May be read in any format (print, ebook, audio, etc.).
❀While Christian is preferred, all genres are allowed.
❀You may reread a book for the challenge, it's not preferred but it is allowed. The book must be read in it's entirety, not just skimmed. You may not however reread a book that you used already for this challenge.
❀All books used for the challenge MUST be started AFTER the category is called. If you realize a book you've already started before the category would be a perfect fit for the challenge, you may restart it and then it will count - but only if you restart it.

message 5: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new)

Reserved

message 6: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new)

Reserved

message 7: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new)

Reserved

message 8: by Abbi (new)

Abbi Hey Danie and Irene! I'm excited about this game and look forward to being on the same team as you two!

message 9: by Irene (new)

Irene Hello!!!! I'm looking forward to this too. Should be fun.

message 10: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new)

The first letter and category have been called: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 11: by Abbi (new)

Abbi So the first category is: Main Female Character and the letter is: S!

One of the books I was already planning to read this week's heroine is named Shannon so that worked out great for me!

Do either of you ladies want to be Captain?

message 12: by Irene (new)

Irene I would prefer not to be captain. I worked 16 hours yesterday and didn't get a chance to rest up today before I had to work again so I'm barely functioning right now. I'll refresh myself on the rules and go over my books. I can't even remember what my library books are right now :-) I do know I'm reading Dick Van Dyke's autobiography which is pretty interesting but doesn't qualify for that category. I'm off to bed now so I can get up early and take Mom to a doctor's appt. Good thing it's not like this every week. I'll have a book picked by tomorrow and get back to you.

message 13: by Irene (new)

Irene who was i kidding? there's no way i was going to bed before i found my book :-)
The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult by Jodi Picoult. Main female character is Sage Singer.

message 14: by Abbi (new)

Abbi Ok since it seems like I have the least crazy life I guess I can go ahead and be the captain!

Irene-Nice job finding a name with two S's!!

Danie-No we don't have to read the same book! All you have to do is find a book that you want to read that fits the category! So for this week find a book where the heroine's first or last name starts with an S! Also we have until the 15th so no rush!

message 15: by Abbi (new)

Abbi Also, do you ladies want to pick a team name or just stick with Team 6?

message 16: by Abbi (new)

Abbi Danie wrote: "Okay Abbi,
Does this title of this book work, I have it on my kindle on my phone that was free. It is called Second Chances and it is by Alison Stanley"

I just looked it up and it doesn't look like the main female character's name starts with an S (though I couldn't find her last name) so you'll probably need to pick a different one-sorry! It doesn't matter if the title or the author's name has an S in it just the heroine!

message 17: by Irene (new)

Irene finished my book yesterday. The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult by Jodi Picoult read from 5/5 - 5/13. I gave it 5 stars but when I started I wasn't even sure I was going to finish it. It started out a bit slow but picked up and took off running :-)
First off, the main female character is Sage Singer so that's 2 S's.
Sage is of Jewish descent. I phrase it that way because she doesn't consider herself Jewish, even though her mother was and under Jewish law, that makes her Jewish. Sage's grandmother is an Auschwitz survivor and still living. After her mother died 3 years ago, Sage starts going to a grief support group. While there, she meets an elderly man named Joseph. Sage is a baker and Joseph starts coming into the bakery and they become friends. He's in his 90's and makes an unusual request. He wants Sage to help him die. In an effort to help convince her, he confesses that during the war, he was an SS officer at Auschwitz, the camp her grandmother had been at. Sage is very conflicted because she really likes this guy and how could he be this horrible person? She locates a group investigating war criminals and gives them the information and helps them develop a case against Joseph.
The story bounces around between WWII and the present so you get the full story behind all this. Also, Sage's grandmother had been a writer in her youth and it goes off into her story as well.
Once it picked up, I had trouble putting it down. It was a really great story.

message 18: by Abbi (new)

Abbi Irene wrote: "finished my book yesterday.The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult by Jodi Picoult read from 5/5 - 5/13. I gave it 5 stars but when I started I wasn't even sure I was going to finish it. It started ou..."

Great job Irene! I have finished my book but still need to get around to reviewing it! I got crazy busy and kinda forgot about this!

message 19: by Abbi (last edited May 14, 2014 06:36PM) (new)

Abbi I read Rise and Shine A Contemporary Fairy Tale by Sandra D. Bricker and the heroine's name was Shannon Malone

Here's the review I posted on my blog:
After being thoroughly disappointed with the first book in this series I was very wary about reading this one, but the premise was too intriguing not to try. Thankfully this book was much more enjoyable than the last one!
It was so fun to watch Shannon discover all the new things that had come in the last ten years. Since they came gradually for us I never really thought about how shocking some of the things would be! I also really loved the references to things I enjoy like Hart to Hart and Castle!
Daniel was a pretty great hero and I thought his care of Shannon was pretty sweet. The other characters were okay, though Shannon's aunt's exclamations of “Yippee” anytime Shannon remembered something was a bit obnoxious.
All in all it was a fun one-time read but it wasn't amazing.

message 20: by Irene (new)

Irene New letter and category are A and Animal. We need a book with an animal species starting with A (Ape, Aardvark, Anteater, etc) or an animal whose name starts with an A (a dog named Andy, rabbit named Annie, etc.). If you find one with an Ape named Annie it's only 2 points if at some point in the story it says Annie the Ape. These are, of course, just examples :-)
Off to hunt through my books!

message 21: by Irene (new)

Irene Well, after going thru more books on my kindle than I want to talk about, and several Listopia lists, I've got my book Planet of the Apes by Pierre Boulle .
This was not an easy search. A lot of my books have animals but they're not listed in the description and the ones that were didn't start with A.

message 22: by Abbi (new)

Abbi Thanks Irene! I have no idea where to start looking for this one!

message 23: by Irene (new)

Irene A friend sent me this one. She says the dog's name is Arnold Love Gone to the Dogs by Margaret Daley by Margaret Daley. She's reading Ape House by Sara Gruen . I found a 2 pointer but only in paperback on Amazon Albie the Albatross An Adventurous Tale of Life by James Miller . That's all I got and I really looked.

message 24: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new)

Danie decided to drop out. Your new teammate is Caitlyn!

message 25: by Irene (new)

Irene Hello Caitlyn!

message 26: by Caitlyn (new)

Caitlyn Santi | 815 comments Hi Ladies! So excited to be on this team with you! :)
Tonight I plan on starting Gift Horse (Saddle Club, #40) by Bonnie Bryant for Main Female Character and S, and I'm planning to reread either Submerged (Alaskan Courage, #1) by Dani Pettrey or Shattered (Alaskan Courage, #2) by Dani Pettrey for Animal and A!

message 27: by Abbi (new)

Abbi Welcome Caitlyn!

message 28: by Caitlyn (new)

Caitlyn Santi | 815 comments Main Female Character and S

I read Gift Horse (Saddle Club, #40) by Bonnie Bryant Gift Horse by Bonnie Bryant
I gave it 5 stars!
The main female character's name was Stevie Lake

My review: Growing up I absolutely loved the Saddle Club books (Being one of the girls who was blessed to get to take lessons and own my own horse, I could especially relate to them!) It has been several years since I read any of the book in this series. So reading this book was a great trip down memory lane for me! This was a great book and I really loved it! There isn't much more I can say without spoiling something, so I will just say that I highly recommend Gift Horse and all of the Saddle Club books to horse crazy kids, teens and adults everywhere!

message 29: by Irene (new)

Irene finished Planet of the Apes by Pierre Boulle by Pierre Boulle. 5 stars. read from 5/15-5/20. Lots of Apes in the story. Unfortunately, I don't recall any with A names that might have qualified for double points.
I've seen more than one Planet of the Apes movie but it's been a long time. There were similarities from what I remember. I was happy to find out the author is French, being French myself. Apparently, he got the idea from his time as a prisoner in WWII.
Ulysse is a space traveler who finds himself on a strange planet completely run by apes. Ulysse is human and finds himself being treated like an animal, along with other human captives. He manages to impress on a sympathetic ape that he is different and gains himself more privileges. He learns their language and history and eventually gets so accustomed to them that he stops seeing them as "apes". Along the way he had formed a relationship with a female captive and a baby was born. Since he and his little family are considered threats to the ape society, his ape friends help them get off planet and they return to his home in France where they are in for a big surprise.

message 30: by Abbi (new)

Abbi Great job! I really don't think I 'm going to be able to get one for this week! I haven't found a book, I am extremely busy, and I have a bunch of review books with fast approaching due dates! Sorry!

message 31: by Abbi (new)

Abbi So I didn't think I'd be able to get this week's book but then Megan found out that the book I was reading mentioned Ants and she said that counted so here's my review for Daisies Are Forever by Liz Tolsma Daisies Are Forever by Liz Tolsma

After enjoying this author's debut last year, I was excited to read this sophomore release. Sadly I didn't like this one as much as the first. It was an okay read there were just several little things along the way that bugged me a bit. I did love the time period it was set in since WWII is one of my absolute favorite's, and it was interesting to get to see how the end of the war looked from Germany's perspective. There was an interesting mix of characters in this story. Mitch and Gisela were pretty great and their love story was cute. The little girls were cute, the senile old ladies were both funny and annoying, Kurt made me mad, and Audra was okay. There were sweet moments mixed with phony and forced moments, as well as sad ones, scary ones, and happy ones. So while there was definitely room for improvement it was still an enjoyable one time read.

message 32: by Irene (new)

Irene Abbi wrote: "So I didn't think I'd be able to get this week's book but then Megan found out that the book I was reading mentioned Ants and she said that counted so here's my review for[bookcover:Daisies Are For..."

woohoo!!!!! Megan rocks!!!!

message 33: by Abbi (new)

Abbi Irene wrote: "Abbi wrote: "So I didn't think I'd be able to get this week's book but then Megan found out that the book I was reading mentioned Ants and she said that counted so here's my review for[bookcover:Da..."

Yes she most certainly does!

message 34: by Caitlyn (new)

Caitlyn Santi | 815 comments I read Head in the Clouds by Karen Witemeyer Head in the Clouds by Karen Witemeyer
Category: Animal
Letter: A
"The party dishes wouldn't wash themselves, and the food would attract ants if left out." Page 165-
My rating: 5 Stars!!!

I'm a huge Karen Witemeyer fan, if her name is on the cover I know I'm in for a treat. And Head in the Clouds was no exception! This was such a great story, I loved it! Karen Witemeyer is known for her tough, spunky heroines which I love and I think that Adelaide may just be my favorite of her heroines. I'm not gonna lie, I was a little nervous before I started this book (Because of the title, description, and cover.) that Adelaide would be really flaky and annoying, but I was so happy to be proven wrong! I really can't find words to express what an awesome character Adelaide is, and Gideon oh my goodness, such a great hero!
A hero that is a British nobleman turned Texas sheep rancher, a spunky yet tender heroine, a delightful little girl, and enough romance, action and suspense to keep the pages turning. What more could you ask for?

Overall, I loved every minute of this book and I highly recommend it!

message 35: by Irene (last edited May 26, 2014 01:35PM) (new)

Irene #1 Woohoo!!!!! we all finished our books on time!!!!

#2 New category- "The letter and category for May 26th are N and Color!

This can be found in the title, author's name, character's name, or the book cover itself."

"You just need to find a book that has a color that begins with N (like navy or neon green) in the title, author's name, character's name, or the book cover itself. So, if you find a book that has that color on the cover it counts. "

message 36: by Irene (new)

Irene got my book Navy Brat (Navy #3) by Debbie Macomber by Debbie Macomber It's got Navy in the title and there's dark blue on the flag so I'm hoping that's enough for double points. It's good either way.

message 37: by Abbi (new)

Abbi Great job ladies!
I have a few books in my review stack that have navy on the cover so I should be good!

message 38: by Caitlyn (new)

Caitlyn Santi | 815 comments I plan on reading Shenandoah Nights (Winds of Change, #1) by Lisa Belcastro Shenandoah Nights by Lisa Belcastro I will start it as soon as I finish my current review book! :D

message 39: by Caitlyn (new)

Caitlyn Santi | 815 comments I read The Lawman's Oklahoma Sweetheart (Bridegroom Brothers, #3) by Allie Pleiter The Lawman's Oklahoma Sweetheart by Allie Pleiter
Category: Color
Letter: N (Navy Blue ribbon at the bottom of the book cover, where it says "Bridegroom Brothers")
My Rating: 5 Stars!!!
My Review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 40: by Irene (new)

Irene I finished mine a couple days ago and just getting around to the review. Mine was Navy Brat (Navy #3) by Debbie Macomber by Debbie Macomber. Navy is in the title and to me the color on the flag is navy blue but I'll leave that to the judges :-)
My rating 4 stars. read from 5/26-5/28.
Erin MacNamera is committed to never, ever dating a Navy man. Her dad was Navy, she grew up Navy and will never live that way again. She's committed to putting down roots, once and for all. But then she meets Brand, who is a career Navy man. Not only that, but her father sent him. She fights their attraction but falls for him and there's a constant emotional tug of war as she fights her feelings.
It was a good book but pretty predictable.

message 41: by Abbi (new)

Abbi I read Until I Found You by Victoria Bylin by Victoria Bylin and there is Navy on the cover! I loved this book and here's my review:
This is the first book I've read by Victoria Bylin and I'm sure it won't be the last! I loved this book! The premise wasn't overly attention grabbing but I'd heard good things and decided to give it a shot! And I am so very glad I did!
Nick was my favorite character! He made such a fantastic hero! He had a bit of a troubled past but God changed him completely and made him into a man worth admiring! I really appreciated his appropriate perspective on his sinfulness and the fact that it was God alone who saved him. I also loved the way he handled Kate's journey to God, never forcing it, and letting her find her own path. And speaking of Kate, I did like her character as well! I could see a bit of myself in her fears since I have similar ones and it was cool to watch her as she learned to trust God with them.
Nick and Kate's relationship was sweet though it did have it's ups and downs as every relationship will!
In short I thoroughly enjoyed this novel and I will definitely recommend it!
5 Stars

message 42: by Irene (new)

Irene "The letter and category for June 5th are E and Secondary Male Character!

This would be any male character who is not one of the leads in the story. He might be mentioned only once in the story, but that would still count.

If more than one of his names (first, middle, and/or last) begin with the chosen letter, it will be worth more points (1 point for each name beginning with the letter)."

message 43: by Irene (new)

Irene These categories are not easy. I'm not certain what I'm reading for this one. I'm hoping something I'm already planning to read qualifies. I do have a backup plan. Just trying to avoid buying a book for this.

message 44: by Abbi (new)

Abbi Thanks for the heads up Irene! I've been busy and completely forgot to check!
Yeah they are a bit harder than they first sounded but since they can be mentioned just once it should be pretty easy!

message 45: by Irene (new)

Irene The book I'm reading does qualify. An Eric just popped up. The main difficulty is these guys aren't necessarily mentioned in the description. It's not easy to plan. It'd be so much easier if books were like movies and you could get a list of all the characters :-)

message 46: by Abbi (new)

Abbi Haha yeah! It's funny that you mentioned that since it just so happens that the book I'm currently reading does have a character list at the beginning! And there are a couple E names!

message 47: by Caitlyn (new)

Caitlyn Santi | 815 comments That's really cool, Abbi!
After some searching and quite a bit of deliberation I have pretty much decided that I'm going to read Shenandoah Nights (Winds of Change, #1) by Lisa Belcastro

message 48: by Caitlyn (new)

Caitlyn Santi | 815 comments Secondary Male Character and letter E

I read Shenandoah Nights (Winds of Change, #1) by Lisa Belcastro Shenandoah Nights by Lisa Belcastro
Secondary Male Character: Eli Reed
My Rating: 5 Stars!!!
My Review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 49: by Irene (new)

Irene I did finish my book but I'm waiting to see if anything better comes up. I'll make sure to post my review on time

message 50: by Abbi (new)

Abbi I read Raptor 6 (Quiet Professionals #1) by Ronie Kendig by Ronie Kendig
Secondary Character: Eamon "Titainis" Straider

Review:
Ok, full disclosure, get ready for some gushing! Now to figure out where to begin!
So if you couldn't figure it out from that first line, I loved this book! Not that I was shocked by that since I've loved every Ronie Kendig novel out there! After meeting Dean Watters in some of Ronie's previous books I was so excited to get his story, and man was it a good one!
Dean was a fantastic hero! I loved the way he was determined to do what was right and to protect others even if it cost him his life. He also had amazing leadership skills, knowing when to join in the fun and when to stop it, or when correction was needed, or an encouraging word was needed. I could not believe all the things he'd lived through in his past! It was so horrible and almost brought me to tears! Just one of the things he'd experienced would be enough to break anyone but instead they made him stronger and even more passionate about protecting others. I loved the way he was strong for Zahrah when she needed him, I don't want to spoil anything, but at a time when a normal man would have crumbled he stayed strong while helping her do the same.
And Zahrah was amazing! Her faith in God was so strong! She was so in tune to Him and willing to do and go what and where He asked her. And despite the things she endured she didn't waver at all and instead trusted God and looked for the good in a bad situation. I honestly was blown away by how strong her faith made her!
Throughout the book there were scenes with another Raptor Team member and his wife, which I absolutely loved! They were heartrendingly sweet and beautiful!
I enjoyed all the other members of Raptor Team and I'm really looking forward to more of their stories!
I also absolutely adored the fact that the author brought in the characters from her very first book, Dead Reckoning, for a few scenes! It took me a second to place them but when I did I squealed in excitement!
This book made my heart race, break, melt, seize up in fear, and anything else you can think of and I loved every second of it! Hawk can't come out fast enough for me!

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.