Christian Fiction Bloggers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVED Team challenges > R1: The Bookworms (Team 4)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 71 (71 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (last edited May 07, 2014 05:24PM) (new)

Megan (celtic_girl) | 6293 comments Mod

Team Captain: Staci

Members:
Holly
ShaeO1
Staci

LINK to score sheet.

message 2: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new)

Categories
Detailed information for each category can be found under the spoiler next to the category.

1. Title (view spoiler)
2. Main Female Character (view spoiler)
3. Main Male Character (view spoiler)
4. Secondary Female character (view spoiler)
5. Secondary Male Character (view spoiler)
6. Author (view spoiler)
7. Location (view spoiler)
8. Animal (view spoiler)
9. Main Character's Occupation (view spoiler)
10. Color (view spoiler)
11. Adjectives (view spoiler)
12. Goodreads Shelf (view spoiler)

The letters: A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M, N, O, P, R, S, T, and W

message 3: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new)

Dates categories will be called:
Monday - 5/5
Thursday - 5/15
Monday - 5/26
Thursday - 6/5
Monday - 6/16
Thursday - 6/26

In order for books to qualify for the team bonus point, the review must be posted in your team thread by 11:59 pm Pacific Time on the day the next category is called.

message 4: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new)

Book Requirements:

❀Must be 150+ pages.
❀May be read in any format (print, ebook, audio, etc.).
❀While Christian is preferred, all genres are allowed.
❀You may reread a book for the challenge, it's not preferred but it is allowed. The book must be read in it's entirety, not just skimmed. You may not however reread a book that you used already for this challenge.
❀All books used for the challenge MUST be started AFTER the category is called. If you realize a book you've already started before the category would be a perfect fit for the challenge, you may restart it and then it will count - but only if you restart it.

message 5: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new)

Reserved

message 6: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new)

Reserved

message 7: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new)

Reserved

message 8: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen Scott | 63 comments Hi, so who wants to be team captain?

message 9: by Holly (new)

Holly (hollymag321) | 119 comments ShaeO1 wrote: "Hi, so who wants to be team captain?"

What all does the team captain need to do?

message 10: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen Scott | 63 comments Team captain just makes sure that everyone is staying caught up and makes sure that our ponts are being added up correctly

message 11: by Staci (new)

Staci | 871 comments Looking forward to Scattegories. This is my first event to be a part of. Woohoo!

message 12: by Holly (new)

Holly (hollymag321) | 119 comments Welcome Staci! This is only my 2nd one, and this sounds interesting. Hopefully it will work out for me.
So... do either of you want to be captain? I really don't want to be so I'd be happy if either of you were willing to do it.

message 13: by Staci (new)

Staci | 871 comments I'll be glad to be captain for our team.

message 14: by Holly (new)

Holly (hollymag321) | 119 comments Staci wrote: "I'll be glad to be captain for our team."

Works for me!!! Thanks Staci! I'll do my best to do my part!

We need a name too...

message 15: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new)

The first letter and category have been called: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 16: by Staci (new)

Staci | 871 comments Shae01 and I both found books that work!!

message 17: by Holly (new)

Holly (hollymag321) | 119 comments I'm using Camy Tang's book, Only Uni by Camy Tang featuring Trish Sakai. So I'm on my way as well.
Happy reading!

message 18: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen Scott | 63 comments Tam name: just brainstorming here but maybe The Book Worms

message 19: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen Scott | 63 comments Just finished my book called the selection stories by Kiera Cass and the main female character is America Singer

message 20: by Staci (new)

Staci | 871 comments Woohoo! We have one point...as soon as I figure out how to work the spreadsheet. :-)

The Book Worms is fine with me. I'm ok with "Team 4" as well.

I haven't started my book yet as I'm finishing up another book right now.

message 21: by Holly (new)

Holly (hollymag321) | 119 comments Works for me too! THANKS!

message 22: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (last edited May 07, 2014 05:40PM) (new)

ShaeO1 wrote: "Just finished my book called the selection stories by Kiera Cass and the main female character is America Singer"

Shae01, I believe you are the first to finish - congrats! However, you need to add a review to receive your point. The review only needs to be, at a minimum, a few lines letting us know your thoughts of the book. You could also say whether or not you'd recommend it. You can post the link to your review or post the review in its entirety here, which ever you prefer.

Here's an example of how you could post:

Book Scattergories - Main Female Character (S)
The Selection Stories The Prince & The Guard by Kiera Cass
Read: The Selection Stories by Kiera Cass
Character's name: America Singer
Rating: ?
Review:

message 23: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen Scott | 63 comments Book scattegories-main female character (s)
Read:the selection stories by Kiera cass
Characters name : America Singer
Rating: 3
Review: This book is just an insight through other peoples view of the storys the selection and the elite. I would most definitely recommend these book to people who like the futuristic type books. Defienetly 2 of my favorite books!

message 24: by Staci (new)

Staci | 871 comments I started my book that meet's this week's category definition. :-)

message 25: by Staci (new)

Staci | 871 comments Spreadsheet update team...we have one point (thanks Shae01!) and Team Five has two points. We're on our way! Go Bookworms!

message 26: by Holly (new)

Holly (hollymag321) | 119 comments Book Scattergories - Main Female Character (S)

Only Uni by Camy Tang
Read: Only Uni - Camy Tang
Character's name: Trish Sakai
Rating: 4 1/2 stars
Review: Trish was a great character is that she was so real. So many people try to do things to prove to God they're worthy. She also learns (and reminds us) that our actions have consequences.

message 27: by Staci (new)

Staci | 871 comments Way to go Holly! I'm about halfway through my book.

message 28: by Staci (new)

Staci | 871 comments Book Scattegories - Main Female Character (S)
Sailing out of Darkness by Normandie Fischer
Book: Sailing out of Darkness by Normandie Fischer
Read Dates: May 8, 2014-May 11, 2014
Main Character's Name: Samantha Ramson
Rating: 3 starts
Review: This contemporary fiction book was about moving past the weight of guilt. Samantha's marriage ended in a divorce she didn't want. The book was about her finding her way to her new self. There was also a bit of mystery woven in. The setting was in both Maryland and Italy.

message 29: by Staci (new)

Staci | 871 comments Way to go Bookworms! We scored four points for the first round. That currently puts us in third place. Team one is in the lead with six points. Looking forward to seeing what our next category will be.

message 30: by Staci (new)

Staci | 871 comments The current category is tough!!! Fortunately, Shae01 and I have both found 1 point books. Any luck Holly?

I'm reading A Beauty So Rare (totally fabulous) so it will be a bit before I start my book for Scattegories.

message 31: by Holly (new)

Holly (hollymag321) | 119 comments This is definitely a tough one!!! Can I ask what books you guys have found? My son is moving out this weekend and I don't know if I'm going to have time to do a lot of searching... so suggestions very welcome!

message 32: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen Scott | 63 comments Redneck Debutante by: Jenny Hammerle, there was an alligator in the story.
I read the entire book today. My review has been posted.

message 33: by Staci (new)

Staci | 871 comments Way to go Shae01! One point for this category.

message 34: by Staci (new)

Staci | 871 comments Book Scattergories - Animal (A)
Cowgirl Down (Redneck Debutante, #2) by Jenny Hammerle

Read: Cowgirl Down by Jenny Hammerly
Animal: Alligator
Rating: 4
Review: Completely enjoyable YA Fiction. The main character Rachael is a city girl transplanted to the country. While it's fun to read about her learning country life, the true treasure of the story is what she learns about making wise choices.

message 35: by Holly (new)

Holly (hollymag321) | 119 comments YAY! I should be done with mine tomorrow barring any unforeseen interruptions...

message 36: by Holly (new)

Holly (hollymag321) | 119 comments All finished with my book Love Gone to the Dogs by Margaret Daley

Animal: Arnold the beagle

Review: This is the second time I've read this book and although the story is enjoyable, with some laughs and some sweet touches one thing still bothers me in it: A lack of God or any message. It really bothered me the first time because I didn't expect this from this author. I was less bothered this time because I knew what was coming.

Forgive me if I sound like a prude, but I really don't want to read about a man exploring a woman's mouth with his tongue or how they almost have sex outside of marriage and she stops because not because it's wrong but because he's still wearing his wedding ring.

Don't get me wrong it's a well written story with some excellent characters and some fun scenes that made me laugh. I could have done without the other...

message 37: by Staci (new)

Staci | 871 comments You are no prude Holly. Sounds like I wouldn't like it either. It reminds me of a main stream best seller I started reading a month ago. I quit after 25 pages after asking myself, "is this really what I want to read about?".

Glad you finished the latest challenge! Go Bookworms!

message 38: by Staci (new)

Staci | 871 comments BTW Holly...did you get my PM with the book recommendation?

message 39: by Holly (new)

Holly (hollymag321) | 119 comments I did! Sorry I didn't reply... I think I got sidetracked after reading it. I have the Amazon Prime account but I don't have a Kindle, I have the Nexus 7. And they won't let you check out books with just the Kindle App... so sad...

message 40: by Holly (new)

Holly (hollymag321) | 119 comments Hey ladies!!

I wanted to let you know that I'm going to use Dee Henderson's newest book Undetected by Dee Henderson

The cover has navy blue in it...

My only problem is I leave for a week in Yosemite next Sunday and I don't know if I'll be able to get enough internet access to post my review before the 6th. But I'll do my best.

message 41: by Staci (new)

Staci | 871 comments Thanks for the update Holly! Have a blast on your trip!!

message 42: by Staci (new)

Staci | 871 comments Shae01 is reading A Lasting Impression by Tamera Alexander and I'm reading Trapped by Irene Hannon. Both covers have navy blue.
A Lasting Impression (Belmont Mansion, #1) by Tamera Alexander Trapped (Private Justice, #2) by Irene Hannon

message 43: by Staci (new)

Staci | 871 comments Book Scattergories - Color (N)

Trapped (Private Justice, #2) by Irene Hannon

Read: Trapped by Irene Hannon (May 29-31)
Cover Color: Navy
Rating: 4 stars
Review: Page turning romantic suspense novel. Although the criminal was known from the very beginning, the tension was thick.
It was rewarding to see the changes the runaway teen went through over the course of time. I look forward to reading the third book in this series later this year.

message 44: by Holly (new)

Holly (hollymag321) | 119 comments WOOT! Great job! I'm still working on mine, it's really good, but a long book. It will go faster when I go on vacation....

message 45: by Holly (new)

Holly (hollymag321) | 119 comments I'm going to use Sky Zone by Creston Mapes for Navy color on the cover. Hopefully it's really navy blue...

Sky Zone A Novel (The Crittendon Files #3) by Creston Mapes

Review:
WOW! This was an action packed story. It made me think of the Die Hard movies. Where things aren't always as they seem. I love the main character, Jack. In this story he was really struggling, showing the reality of life. It's not always easy.

Rating: 4.5 stars

message 46: by Staci (new)

Staci | 871 comments Sounds like a great one Holly! I have Poison Town on my Kindle, but haven't read it yet.

message 47: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen Scott | 63 comments Read: A Lasting Impression
Color(n): her dress was navy blue
Rating: 5 stars
Review: This book was definitely a page turner...once you got through the first couple chapters. I am definitely interested in the next book and have on hold at my public library. The ended was how I had wanted it to be. The author has a unique skill in writing. I did however notice that in a lot of the meals they had some kind of ham or pork. I wander if that's actually what the people ate back then or not. A Lasting Impression (Belmont Mansion, #1) by Tamera Alexander

message 48: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new)

Holly wrote: "I'm going to use Sky Zone by Creston Mapes for Navy color on the cover. Hopefully it's really navy blue...

Sky Zone A Novel (The Crittendon Files #3) by Creston Mapes

Review:
WOW! This was an action packed story. It ..."

I see an American flag, so it definitely works for Navy :)

message 49: by Staci (new)

Staci | 871 comments Tough one! I'm not sure if the current challenge to read a book with a secondary male character beginning with the letter E or the animal challenge was more difficult... I'm searching for a book that works.

message 50: by Staci (new)

Staci | 871 comments Shae01 has found her book and started reading. I have found one as well and will begin later today. Holly, let me know if you are having trouble finding one.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.