Paranormal Romance and Urban Fantasy Addicts discussion

General Discussion > Starting Fresh

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Basile (ahunsicker) | 274 comments Does anyone have trouble starting a new book/series once you've finished all the books in an old series?

I have no problem picking up a book I'm in mid-series with, regardless of the time frame between books... but once I've read all the books available to me in series' that are ongoing for me, I get stuck. I look around at all the books on my literal and virtual TBR shelves and it feels like it takes an act of god to get started on something new.

Once I start, I'm good. But I will stare at a book for an hour before I start it.

Weird? What about you, any pre-series/book phobia?

message 2: by Sonya (new)

Sonya Heaney | 57 comments I have this problem a lot with PNR/UF books, but then I think I'm a really picky reader with these genres.

I'm rereading and reading all of Patricia Briggs' books at the moment, and I know that when I'm done with them I'm going to have to read a completely different genre for a while - I'm just not going to be able to get into any other paranormal books for a little bit.

message 3: by Jenn (new)

Jenn I have that problem with a series that's more than 5 books. I have a lot that are like 8-9 books on a series and when I'm done I'm kind of just like duh what do I do now? It takes me a few days to decide what to read next

message 4: by Julianne (new)

Julianne | 18 comments I'm like that too. I feel like I need to savour the series a little bit before I move on. I can't even jump back into an ongoing series. After I finished Fever series it tools me forever to figure out what to read next.

message 5: by Teya (new)

Teya (teyanna) | 32 comments I usually start re-reading my old favourites, and I mean whole series (Fever, Hollows, Highlander, Dresden Files, Outlander), than try some historical romances for a while. So there is no problem – I have a good, time consuming system. :)

But to tell you the truth, there is a problem. I often want the one just as good as the one I've just finished. The one that just changed everything in my world.

message 6: by Julianne (new)

Julianne | 18 comments That's exactly it Teya! When you finish an amazing series it feels like nothing can compare. I do find switching up the genre helps. I cleanse the pallet with a YA or a classic...or some random kindle freebie.

message 7: by Moonlight (new)

Moonlight | 32 comments I think I have to agree with the switching genres. I finished the Hallows series earlier this spring and have been concentrating on mysteries since then. One of the problems with UF is that the problems tend to be end-of-the-world type problems and after a 5-10 books about that, I need small problems for a change.

message 8: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 25 comments I use to never have that problem but lately if I found a series that was good, I struggle with the next. It has created a big reading slump. When I had finished Iced, I was stuck. Wanting to go back to the fever series.

message 9: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Archambault | 15 comments Julianne wrote: "That's exactly it Teya! When you finish an amazing series it feels like nothing can compare. I do find switching up the genre helps. I cleanse the pallet with a YA or a classic...or some random kin..."

I'll do the random Kindle freebie but then I feel really cheated if the book stinks. Even though it was free it's like I wish I'd been spending that time reading another one in the series.