Science Fiction Aficionados discussion

Captain Vorpatril's Alliance (Vorkosigan Saga, #15)
This topic is about Captain Vorpatril's Alliance
Series Read: The Vorkosigan Saga > Captain Vorpatril's Alliance

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by mark, personal space invader (last edited May 02, 2014 05:15PM) (new)

mark monday (happy-end-of-the-world) | 1274 comments Mod
hello everyone and welcome to our penultimate group read for Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan Saga.

this month's novel is 2012's Captain Vorpatril's Alliance. although the book was written after CryoBurn, chronologically (and per Bujold's own reading order), the novel comes after Diplomatic Immunity and before CryoBurn.

this one features Miles Vorkosigan's semi-loveable cousin Ivan. Captain Vorpatril's Alliance received a 2013 Hugo nomination for Best Novel. this was Bujold's 10th nomination within that category. Bujold, you are amazing!

Bungluna | 40 comments After the heavy themes explored in CryoBurn, CVA was a nice light comedy. I loved this one and laughed all the way through. Best part for me is that we get a bit more of Gregor than usual. I always wished Bujold would do a book from his POV.

message 3: by Alexa (new) - added it

Alexa (AlexaNC) | 302 comments I haven't read this one yet. It is my impression that it most immediately draws on A Civil Campaign (in terms of making references to past books). What do others think?

Bungluna | 40 comments It references ACC and DI and all the previous novels a bit. We get a picture of Miles from Ivan's perspective that is enlightening, imo.

Suzanne | 69 comments I'm enjoying the humor in this one a lot so far! However, I'm sad that we are almost done with the series - I'll miss it.

Mary Catelli | 393 comments OTOH, I was actually saying a book or two earlier than we would be better off with an Ivan Vorpatril book than a Miles Vorkosigan one, because Ivan had more room for character development.

LindaJ^ (lindajs) | 260 comments I got started on this last night, reading it during intermission at a concert. Not in far enough in yet to get a feel for it, but expect it will be enjoyable base on the comments so far! It is hard to believe we are almost to the end -- at least until Bujold produces another!

Jessie J (subseti) | 69 comments I'm glad none of the Vorkosigans got to entitle the book--it would have been "That Idiot Ivan!"

message 9: by mark, personal space invader (new)

mark monday (happy-end-of-the-world) | 1274 comments Mod
ha!

Bungluna | 40 comments Heehee.

LindaJ^ (lindajs) | 260 comments I'm halfway through now and enjoying it immensely. Ivan really works so hard to appear to be a playboy and not quite clued in, but he does always seem to get it when something is important. Hard to believe he's 35 - it was only a year ago (in our series reading) that he and Miles were graduating from the Academy! Time he settles down and has his own rug rats to chase around!

Carolyn I really enjoyed this book as a light, fun read. Nice that Ivan gets into the spotlight for a change and shows he might not be a total idiot. Not much of Miles but a picture of him as a family man was fun. Sasha seems to be taking after Dad and is a bit of a wild child already - wonder if there is going to be a next-gen Vorkosigan saga!

message 13: by Rion (last edited May 11, 2014 12:34AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rion  (orion1) | 87 comments "That Idiot Ivan!" I wasn't all that enamored with Ivan as much as I am with this installment to the Vorkosigan Saga. It's been extremely fun so far. I can't even count how many times I've laughed out loud. The take on Divorce Court is more clever in retrospect. It's such an effective inversion on how it normally goes down. It works so well with the story that I easily overlooked it until I started writing this commentary and asked myself why I laughed so hard. Can't wait to finish this one, but am also sad that the Saga is coming to an end.

Suzanne | 69 comments I've laughed many times while reading this - I'm JUST at the divorce court scene. The marriage scene was also hilarious. I thought that I would miss Miles as the book center, but that has not been a problem at all.

LindaJ^ (lindajs) | 260 comments I'm finished. Nice to see Gregor exercising his authority in such a rationale and reasonable manner. Ivan is deceivingly sharp - sort of like Tony on NCIS.

message 16: by Maggie, space cruisin' for a bruisin' (new) - rated it 4 stars

Maggie K | 1280 comments Mod
I REALLY enjoyed this one....Tej really is a female Ivan!