Discovering Russian Literature discussion

The Kreutzer Sonata
This topic is about The Kreutzer Sonata
Group Read Archive 2014 > The Kreutzer Sonata -Resources-Translation-Reading Schedule

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Amalie  | 650 comments Mod
Please share background/outside material on the author and or book which you think may be helpful and interesting to the discussion of the book. You may also discuss and compare notes on different translations of the book.

Post spoiler warnings where appropriate.

Reading Schedule

Chapters 1-10 (May 1 -May 10)
Chapters 11-20 (May 11-May 19)
Chapters 21-28 + Epilogue (May 20-May 28)

message 2: by Joyce (new)

Joyce Yarrow | 26 comments I wish I could participate but I'm at a writing residency for the next 2 weeks and time does not permit. I look forward to the June read :)

message 3: by MK (new) - rated it 1 star

MK (wisny) | 17 comments I downloaded a free kindle version. It's very short, 92 pages, it says. Translator is Tucker. I'm reading his 'Translator's note' now. It's pretty interesting.

message 4: by Joyce (new)

Joyce Yarrow | 26 comments MK wrote: "I downloaded a free kindle version. It's very short, 92 pages, it says. Translator is Tucker. I'm reading his 'Translator's note' now. It's pretty interesting."

Thanks for this info, MK - I'll do the same and try to make time to read!

message 5: by MK (new) - rated it 1 star

MK (wisny) | 17 comments welcs! :)

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

MK wrote: "I downloaded a free kindle version. It's very short, 92 pages, it says. Translator is Tucker. I'm reading his 'Translator's note' now. It's pretty interesting."

Mine too is Benjamin R. Tucker's translation. It's good to hear at least the two of us share the same. I downloaded at eBooks@Adelaide.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Here's a link to Beethoven's Kreutzer Sonata aka The Violin Sonata No. 9
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__e7MR...

I read that this novella was originally intended as part of a performance event. and the idea for it has arisen after a performance of the Beethoven sonata in Tolstoy's home in Moscow.

message 8: by MK (new) - rated it 1 star

MK (wisny) | 17 comments Shanez wrote: "I read that this novella was originally intended as part of a performance event. ..."

Ahh, that's interesting! I've read the first 10 chapters already, and it's all in one location. I guess that makes sense, if it was intended as a performance event.

TY for link. Can't watch now, but I will.