European Royalty discussion

European Royalty Nominations > March 15 - April 15 Selection - Updated!

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (SaraWEsq) | 2153 comments Hey everyone, I know this is early, and I know people are still reading The Rose of York: Love & War, but I just wanted people to realize that the first of the month is coming up which means new nominations to vote on!

Just to clarify, the set up right now is as follows:

Someone nominates three books on the 1st;

Voting will take place until 9pm on the 4th (reason being, it would be nice to know what we are reading by that time so people can order the book that evening if they want to); and

Discussion can being on the 15th.

Right now, the list I have for nominating books is:

MBP
Sara (me)
Sera
Despina

If you would like to be added to that list, just make a comment here. If you do it before voting ends on the 4th, I'll add you to the list before Despina (Despina, I figured you wouldn't mind since you just nominated the books!). Even if you don't nominate books, you can certainly still vote for which one you want to read.

MBP, that means your up! Feel free to post your three nominated books on (or before if it's more convenient) March 1st. If you don't want to nominate any, just let me know and I'll move down the list.

message 2: by MBP (new)

MBP Hi Sara - Would you mind if I pass for this month? I've been really busy and I'm not sure I can keep up with the discussion.

message 3: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (SaraWEsq) | 2153 comments Not a problem! I have a ton of books in mind, so I can pick them this month. Do you still want to be on the list? If so, I can put your name on the list for picking next month or in front of Despina's which would pick two months from now. If you don't have time to really have your name on the list at the moment, I can take it off. You can always ask me to add it later. Just let me know what works for you!

message 4: by MBP (new)

MBP Can you take me off the list? If I decide to add it back later, I'll let you know. Thanks!

message 5: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (SaraWEsq) | 2153 comments Sure thing!

message 6: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (SaraWEsq) | 2153 comments Alrighty people, I know it's a little bit early, but let's start the voting! Voting will be open until 9pm Central Time on March 4th (not that we'll need that long, but it's good to have some deadline). Here are your choices:

1) The Courts of Love: The Story of Eleanor of Aquitaine by Jean Plaidy

2) Innocent Traitor: A Novel of Lady Jane Grey by Alison Weir

Both of these have recently been published and should be easy to find online or in the store.

3) Spider King a Biographical Novel of Louis XI of France by Lawrence Schoonover

This has not recently been published, but there are tons of editions on Amazon for really cheap, and my library did have a copy (not that that will help you people outside Chicago, but it may be at your library), so I figure it wouldn't be too difficult to get if people chose it.

I haven't read any of these, so they may or may not be good. That being said, Happy Voting! (I'll vote last so I can be the tie-breaker if needed.)

message 7: by Sera (new)

Sera I vote for #2 - Innocent Traitor by Weir. I've already read it, but I would love to discuss it with this group.

message 8: by Kim (last edited Feb 29, 2008 05:27PM) (new)

Kim I vote for #2 as I have read about 150 pages already...and only stopped to read a book in my other group! It would be a 2fer for me!

message 9: by MBP (new)

MBP I vote for #1, The Courts of Love by Jean Plaidy - I love Eleanor, and I'd like to read some Jean Plaidy, since she's been recommended to me many times!

I've read #2, Innocent Traitor, and enjoyed it - I think there's some great discussion material in there. And #3 sounds interesting too - I'm curious about the "Spider King" after reading our previous book. All are great choices!

message 10: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 3 comments I new to the group and goodreads, but love fiction and nonfiction of european history but mainly British history. I am up for any book, but 1 sounds great.

message 11: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (SaraWEsq) | 2153 comments Hi Michelle, welcome to the group and to goodreads! I'm glad you'll be reading with us!

message 12: by Laura (new)

Laura Sara, I would like to be added to the list.

message 13: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (SaraWEsq) | 2153 comments Sure thing Laura! The list for nominating books currently will be:

Sera
Laura
Despina
Sara (me)

Laura (and everyone else) feel free to vote for one of the books nominated this month if you're able to read with us! The more the merrier!

message 14: by Caitlan (new)

Caitlan I'm new to goodreads and the group. Any of these sound great to me.

message 15: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (SaraWEsq) | 2153 comments Welcome to the group Caitlan! I'm so glad you'll be reading with us! We're going to have quite a number of people reading this month, so it should be a lot of fun (not that it wasn't fun before! The first month certainly was fun - it's just exciting to see more people getting involved).

message 16: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (wildhoney) I vote for #2 Innocent Traitor: A Novel of Lady Jane Grey by Alison Weir

message 17: by Sara W (last edited Mar 04, 2008 07:11PM) (new)

Sara W (SaraWEsq) | 2153 comments I was so hoping there wouldn't be a tie because I didn't want to be the tie-breaker! Alright then, I'm going to pick #2 Innocent Traitor by Alison Weir.

I have two reasons for this (not that I need them, but I like to rationalize things!). At least two of you have read it and think there is good discussion material. The other reason is that I love Jean Plaidy so much, but I haven't read The Courts of Love yet, so if it sucks for some reason, I don't want you all thinking that's what her books are like! I think next time I'll nominate one I've read (or I'll read The Courts of Love first and nominate it again if it's good).

Discussion on Innocent Traitor can begin on March 15th.

message 18: by Kim (new)

Kim
GREAT! Can't wait!

message 19: by Laura (new)

Laura I also vote for #2: Innocent Traitor