Horror Aficionados discussion

73 views
Book Recommendations > Looking for more mild horror like John Saul,please

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by C. (last edited May 05, 2014 07:40AM) (new)

C. Hi all, I just finished reading The Presence by John Saul yesterday. I loved this horror story set in Hawaii. Then I started his 'Midnight Voices' set in NYC.It is so good that if my eyes hadn't become so blurry last night I would have finished the last 50+ pgs,lol!

I really love intense suspense without gore-porn,graphic sex,or loads of profanity[especially no 'F' bombs] and so far his books are free of those offensive elements.Just fun,clean... but super creepy reads!

Can anyone suggest 'similar horror' authors?

Please 'Horror' authors only!


message 2: by Mehmet (new)

Mehmet | 1217 comments Maybe James Herbert may fit this category ? Early classic horror like Dracula or Richard Matherson


message 3: by C. (last edited May 03, 2014 05:28AM) (new)

C. Mehmet wrote: "Maybe James Herbert may fit this category ? Early classic horror like Dracula or Richard Matherson"

Can't believe that I still have never read Dracula'! Several by James Herbert sound promising,thanks! :]

I don't really care for short stories[Matherson]

Does anyone know if horror author Scott Nicholson's books are like what I'm looking for?


message 4: by K4tie (new)

K4tie (nonzombieleader) | 484 comments We have always lived in the castle by Shirley Jackson. I haven't finished, but I will as soon as I can possibly devour all of it's loveliness. It is subtle and intriguing, a bit juvenile but still very very enjoyable. Not a hack job (crazy killing on every page) but more of a murder mystery filled with silly superstitions that are amazingly silly but interesting none the less. I highly recommend this book!


message 5: by C. (new)

C. K4tie wrote: "We have always lived in the castle by Shirley Jackson. I haven't finished, but I will as soon as I can possibly devour all of it's loveliness. It is subtle and intriguing, a bit juvenile but still ..."

The Haunting of Hill House by her didn't impress me at all,but I will check out this one,thanks.


message 6: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth McKinley | 1511 comments Mod
James Herbert, Charles Grant, J.N. Williamson, and some Robert McCammon and Dean Koontz come to mind.


message 7: by C. (new)

C. Ken wrote: "James Herbert, Charles Grant, J.N. Williamson, and some Robert McCammon and Dean Koontz come to mind."


Thank you so much! Elsewhere James Herbert was recommended and several titles do sound promising such as The Secret of Crickley Hall. I haven't read the others except a few by Dean Koontz decades ago. It seems like he got too over-the-top violent for my tastes,and possibly too much profanity too.

Will check out the others,thank you! :]


message 8: by Kasia (new)

Kasia (kasia_s) | 2741 comments Mod
Profanity is more offensive than things that make it a horror book? Interesting look at things :)


message 9: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2788 comments Sticking to John Saul, have you ever read Suffer the Children? My mom loveeeees that book, she's read it many times to say the least lol.


message 10: by C. (new)

C. Kasia wrote: "Profanity is more offensive than things that make it a horror book? Interesting look at things :)"

That is correct!I have never liked vulgarity and my entire life, even as a teen I avoided people who were 'trash mouths'.Fortunately I never lacked for family or friends or even books/films that resort to using that ignorance. :]


message 11: by C. (new)

C. Justin wrote: "Sticking to John Saul, have you ever read Suffer the Children? My mom loveeeees that book, she's read it many times to say the least lol."

No,I haven't read that one,because I pretty much avoid books that feature abuse/harm to children,serial killers/stalkers,and hostage situations.The synopsis of that book sounds like it is definitely about harming children.

The type of horror I prefer features the supernatural or unexplained,spooky old house mysteries,probably because I don't believe in ghosts/demons,those don't terrify me like the above mentioned real stuff would,lol!


message 12: by K4tie (new)

K4tie (nonzombieleader) | 484 comments I stick by my recommendation Christine. I just finished and am certain it will fit your requested requirements. You might also like Henry James' Turn of the Screw. My only complaint with that book was incredibly long sentences. Outside of that it was a good spooky, but not terrifying, read.


message 13: by K4tie (new)

K4tie (nonzombieleader) | 484 comments I read you don't like harming children, Turn of the Screw centers around two children who are being haunted, but I don't believe malice or harm was the intent. It's not exactly a natural interest in the children, but they are ghosts, so it's hard for it to stay in the realm of natural.


message 14: by C. (new)

C. K4tie wrote: "I stick by my recommendation Christine. I just finished and am certain it will fit your requested requirements. You might also like Henry James' Turn of the Screw. My only complaint with that book ..."

Cool, I have Turn Of The Screw on my Kindle,and I have We Have Always Lived In The Castle added to my TBR list. Thanks again.


message 15: by Kasia (new)

Kasia (kasia_s) | 2741 comments Mod
Have you ever tried the Agatha Raisin series from M.C. Beaton? It's mystery but I'm in love with them, I read the 1st book and then had to read the next four and I never read a series back to back, ever. It's witty and addictive.

She's still writing the series, goes up to 25, here are first few titles.


Agatha Raisin
1. Agatha Raisin and the Quiche of Death (1992)
2. Agatha Raisin and the Vicious Vet (1993)
3. Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (1994)
4. Agatha Raisin and the Walkers of Dembley (1995)


message 16: by C. (new)

C. Kasia wrote: "Have you ever tried the Agatha Raisin series from M.C. Beaton? It's mystery but I'm in love with them, I read the 1st book and then had to read the next four and I never read a series back to back,..."


Cozy Mysteries are not horror!


message 17: by Kate (new)

Kate | 3520 comments Since Kasia took the time to post with a recommendation, perhaps it would have been nicer to just thank her.


message 18: by C. (last edited May 05, 2014 06:46AM) (new)

C. Kate wrote: "Since Kasia took the time to post with a recommendation, perhaps it would have been nicer to just thank her."

Did you even read the OP? Do you know what 'Off Topic' or 'SPAM' means?

Why on earth should I thank someone for posting a list of books not even in the genre this entire group/discussion
'Horror Aficionados' discussion is for?

This is EXACTLY what happened to the discussion threads at Amazon thanks to authors self-promoting themselves in every thread! Thankfully Amazon put a stop to that,and the threads are once again useful for book suggestions!


message 19: by Kate (new)

Kate | 3520 comments Kasia is not an author, and this in no way constitutes spam. I believe she gave you heartfelt recommendations of books that you might enjoy because she did.


message 20: by Kasia (new)

Kasia (kasia_s) | 2741 comments Mod
Christine wrote: "Kate wrote: "Since Kasia took the time to post with a recommendation, perhaps it would have been nicer to just thank her."

Did you even read the OP? Do you know what 'Off Topic' or 'SPAM' means?



"The type of horror I prefer features the supernatural or unexplained,spooky old house mysteries,"..."


I saw you write this so Agatha Raisin was the only thing I could recommend that is good and which you would enjoy do to all your limitations as it is a murder mystery and characters there don't scream out "fk I'm dying".


message 21: by C. (last edited May 05, 2014 07:03AM) (new)

C. Kate wrote: "Kasia is not an author, and this in no way constitutes spam. I believe she gave you heartfelt recommendations of books that you might enjoy because she did."

I have seen other posts by her, so I know she does know the difference between horror and cozy mysteries,so why on earth post a list of cozy mysteries when I specifically asked for "Can anyone suggest similar horror authors?"

Did you not see the last sentence in my OP?


message 22: by Kate (new)

Kate | 3520 comments HIM/HER - seriously! :(


message 23: by Kasia (last edited May 05, 2014 07:08AM) (new)

Kasia (kasia_s) | 2741 comments Mod
IT! :P


message 24: by C. (last edited May 05, 2014 07:26AM) (new)

C. Kasia wrote [quote]"The type of horror I prefer features the supernatural or unexplained,spooky old house mysteries,"..."

I saw you write this so Agatha Raisin was the only thing I could recommend that is good and which you would enjoy do to all your limitations as it is a murder mystery and characters there don't scream out "fk I'm dying". [/quote]

Sorry but cozy mysteries do not have the same type of atmosphere as a horror story at all. I have just discovered cozy mysteries and have enjoyed some,but so far not one of the Agatha Raisin ones.For some reason that author has failed to engage me.
However, cozy mysteries are nothing at all like horror not even A Skeleton in the Family (Family Skeleton Mystery #1) by Leigh Perry which I loved.Also read and enjoyed Bats and Bones (The Frannie Shoemaker Campground Mysteries, #1) by Karen Musser Nortman and Assaulted Pretzel (An Amish Mystery, #2) by Laura Bradford

Tried to read The Quiche Of Death and another one,but just couldn't stick with them.


message 25: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 12043 comments Mod
I suggest that you apologize to Kasia.

The attitude is uncalled for.


message 26: by Addy (new)

Addy | 4989 comments Wow. Just because this is a horror group doesn't necessarily mean other genres can't be mentioned.


message 27: by Addy (new)

Addy | 4989 comments Thank you Jon! I totally agree.


message 28: by Kasia (new)

Kasia (kasia_s) | 2741 comments Mod
Thanks guys:)


message 29: by C. (last edited May 05, 2014 07:48AM) (new)

C. Jon Recluse wrote: "I suggest that you apologize to Kasia.

The attitude is uncalled for."


Jon Recluse wrote: "I suggest that you apologize to Kasia.

The attitude is uncalled for."


Kasia wrote [quote]"The type of horror I prefer features the supernatural or unexplained,spooky old house mysteries,"..."

I saw you write this so Agatha Raisin was the only thing I could recommend that is good and which you would enjoy do to all your limitations as it is a murder mystery and characters there don't scream out "fk I'm dying". [/quote]

Sorry but cozy mysteries do not have the same type of atmosphere as a horror story at all. I have just discovered cozy mysteries and have enjoyed some,but so far not one of the Agatha Raisin ones. It's cool if you enjoy them,but so far they are not for me.

I do apologize, for not thanking you.

As a HUGE fan and user of the Amazon forums for decades I detest what happened to them there,and have seen becoming more prevalent here at Goodreads,and I do not want to see it happen again. :[

I do find it strange,however that this JAB at me is perfectly fine... post #10... Kasia wrote[quote] by Kasia
May 03, 2014 01:46PM

Kasia (Kasia_S) | 1743 comments Profanity is more offensive than things that make it a horror book? Interesting look at things :) [/quote]

Guess one must be in the clique around here?


message 30: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 12043 comments Mod
If you see spam, contact a moderator.

That would be me.

HA is a horror forum first, but it is made up of the most well-read and open-minded people anywhere.
Treat each other with the respect you think you deserve.


message 31: by Addy (new)

Addy | 4989 comments I think she was saying that some horror books have things in them way more offensive than profanity


message 32: by Kasia (new)

Kasia (kasia_s) | 2741 comments Mod
Asking you a question was a jab? I was curious as to why you felt that way while reading horror books. And profanity is just words, but taboos are like onions, they are layered, it was not jabbing at you but inquiring about your point of view.


message 33: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 12043 comments Mod
Christine wrote: "Jon Recluse wrote: "I suggest that you apologize to Kasia.

The attitude is uncalled for."

Jon Recluse wrote: "I suggest that you apologize to Kasia.

The attitude is uncalled for."

Kasia wrote [..."


I don't see a jab.
It's a reasonable question.


message 34: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 12043 comments Mod
Christine wrote: "Jon Recluse wrote: "I suggest that you apologize to Kasia.

The attitude is uncalled for."

Jon Recluse wrote: "I suggest that you apologize to Kasia.

The attitude is uncalled for."

Kasia wrote [..."


And why do you keep editing your replies?

If you want to add something, make a new post.


message 35: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismccaffrey) | 582 comments Hi everybody. Thought I would throw in a few suggestions for what I would call classic/literary style horror (no value judgment implied since I like horror of all styles)

That Which Should Not Be by Brett Talley
Unhallowed Ground by Daniel Mills
John Connolly's The Book of Lost Things
Robert McCammon's Boy's Life (horror/fantasy)
Bradbury's Something Wicked This Way Comes
James Herbert's Haunted
Matheson's I am Legend
Fritz Leiber's Conjure Wife


message 36: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 12043 comments Mod
Excellent choices, Chris.


message 37: by Ms. Nikki (new)

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 13944 comments I'm just jumping in here, but can we cool it?

Suggestions were given, she didn't like them.
Although negative things were said, nothing good will come from any further comments.

Have a lovely day :)


message 38: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismccaffrey) | 582 comments Thanks, Jon.


message 39: by Kasia (new)

Kasia (kasia_s) | 2741 comments Mod
Great picks Chris, John Connolly's The Book of Lost Things was especially delicious.


message 40: by C. (last edited May 05, 2014 10:31AM) (new)

C. Kasia wrote: "Asking you a question was a jab? I was curious as to why you felt that way while reading horror books. And profanity is just words, but taboos are like onions, they are layered, it was not jabbing ..."

I did not see it as a question but as a 'SNARKY' jab! I do not have to explain my point of view to ask for book recommendations!

That's why I took your list of cozy mysteries as sarcasm!

But I have no more to say about it,since I am not in the clique here, it's a waste of time.


message 41: by C. (new)

C. Chris wrote: "Hi everybody. Thought I would throw in a few suggestions for what I would call classic/literary style horror (no value judgment implied since I like horror of all styles)

That Which Should Not Be..."


Now 'Bradbury's Something Wicked This Way Comes' is a favorite of mine and I am anxious to check out James Herbert.


message 42: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismccaffrey) | 582 comments Thanks, Kasia.

A friend that I met on GR saw that I hadn't read The Book of Lost Things and liked that book so much that sent me his copy! An all time favorite for sure. I am in the middle of Connolly's Charlie Parker series and loving it.


message 43: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismccaffrey) | 582 comments I will warn you about James Herbert--check the books individually. He writes some that are in the classic style that you would probably like, but he also writes over the top full tilt horror like The Fog for instance. There are several very disturbing scenes in that book.


message 44: by Kasia (new)

Kasia (kasia_s) | 2741 comments Mod
Chris wrote: "Thanks, Kasia.

A friend that I met on GR saw that I hadn't read The Book of Lost Things and liked that book so much that sent me his copy! An all time favorite for sure. I am in the middle of Co..."


Sure :) That's the only one that I've read from Connolly believe it or not! It was stuck in my head the whole time I read it and even walking down the street I couldn't get the creativity and sheer brilliance of what was going on out of my mind.

The Charlie Parker series has great reviews, I was going to start on them soon. Thanks for recommending it!


message 45: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 12043 comments Mod
Kasia wrote: "Chris wrote: "Thanks, Kasia.

A friend that I met on GR saw that I hadn't read The Book of Lost Things and liked that book so much that sent me his copy! An all time favorite for sure. I am in th..."


You'll love the Charlie Parker series, Kasia.
Best supernatural/mystery/thriller series out there.


message 46: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismccaffrey) | 582 comments I agree with Jon. And what I have found amazing is that I am four books in and each one is better than the previous. They build on each other. Masterful work.


message 47: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismccaffrey) | 582 comments But to roll around back to the topic---the Charlie Parker series, while brilliant, is VERY disturbing and violent so it would not qualify for a recommendation on this thread.


message 48: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 12043 comments Mod
Charles L. Grant's books qualify.

His Oxrun Station series and most of his standalone novels, even the ones involving teens are pretty much sex and swearing free.


message 49: by C. (new)

C. Chris wrote: "I will warn you about James Herbert--check the books individually. He writes some that are in the classic style that you would probably like, but he also writes over the top full tilt horror like ..."


Thanks for the warning,that's good to know!


back to top