Food & Fiction discussion

General > Favorite Quotes

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Perrino | 60 comments Mod
In her book, Fictitious Dishes, Dinah Fried gave her thoughts on food and fiction:

"Reading and eating are natural companions, and they’ve got a lot in common. Reading is consumption. Eating is consumption. Both are comforting, nourishing, restorative, relaxing, and mostly enjoyable. They can energize you or put you to sleep. Heavy books and heavy meals both require a period of intense digestion. Just as reading great novels can transport you to another time and place, meals — good and bad ones alike — can conjure scenes very far away from your kitchen table. Some of my favorite meals convey stories of origin and tradition; as a voracious reader, I devour my favorite books.”

What are some of your favorites quotes about food and eating?

message 2: by Kara (new)

Kara (kararota) | 30 comments Mod
One of the delights of life is eating with friends, second to that is talking about eating. And, for an unsurpassed double whammy, there is talking about eating while you are eating with friends. - Laurie Colwin

message 3: by Kara (new)

“As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.”
― Ernest Hemingway, A Moveable Feast

message 4: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Perrino | 60 comments Mod
That Earnest Hemingway quote just made me hungry!

message 5: by Kara (new)

“I don't like cleaning or dusting or cooking or doing dishes, or any of those things," I explained to her. "And I don't usually do it. I find it boring, you see."

"Everyone has to do those things," she said.

"Rich people don't," I pointed out.

Juniper laughed, as she often did at things I said in those early days, but at once became quite serious.

"They miss a lot of fun," she said. "But quite apart from that--keeping yourself clean, preparing the food you are going to eat, clearing it away afterward--that's what life's about, Wise Child. When people forget that, or lose touch with it, then they lose touch with other important things as well."

― Monica Furlong, Wise Child

message 6: by Craftnut (new)

Craftnut "Opening a wrapped imported chocolate is like a moment from Christmas Eve. Your mouth waters. Each tiny crinkle of paper, each flash of colored foil is agony. You think if you don't get this chocolate into your mouth in the next five seconds, you're going to die."

Dying for chocolate, Diane Mott Davidson

I have so many, how about a quote a day/week for a while?

Linda Francis Lee (lindafrancislee) | 20 comments Kara, one of my favorite parts of the movie CITY OF ANGELS was the whole plot thread of THE MOVEABLE FEAST. You could practically taste the words as he read.

message 8: by Kara (new)

There's a Brenda Shaughnessy poem I love called Rise from Interior with Sudden Joy: Poems, which includes this verse:

At home in fire, desire is bread
whose flour, water, salt, and yeast,
not yet confused, are still, at least,
in the soil, the sea, the mine, the dead.

message 9: by Kara (new)

"I remember Jody, my best and only girlfriend at college my freshman year, making me scrambled eggs at her house one morning. They tasted unusual, and when I asked her if she had put in anything extra, she said cheese and garlic salt. I asked who told her to do that, and she said nobody, she just thought it up. But then, she was practical and a sociology major." - Sylvia Plath, The Bell Jar